Discworld discussion

Like Discworld

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jpinks (new)

Jpinks | 3 comments Ok I know there is nothing and will never be anything to replace Ankh Morpork in my heart as the place I want to be :) But I always am looking for authors like Sir Terry Pratchett. I know of Tom Holt he's not bad. Rankin I just dont seem to click with. A Lee Martinez isnt bad but still not as funny. Just curious to know what other authors people like during the wait between Discworld novels.

message 2: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Well, assuming I stay away from relentless self promotion for a moment or two, you could try the work of the brilliant Toby Frost. His Space Captain Smith series is very funny, with lots of odd sci fi references. DC Farmer also writes some funny stuff, principally for younger readers, though I hear he's putting out one for adults.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 63 comments I am just now re-reading Charlainne Harris. I just love her books. And ofcourse re-reading Terry Pratchett. And so many other books.

message 4: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 15 comments Well, the most obvious names you already know, Robert Rankin and Tom Holt, I might also suggest Christopher Moore...

Practical Demonkeeping

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Banks | 2 comments Robert Sheckley and Harry Harrison spring to mind. Dave Langford writes quite a bit of funny stuff: these guys are mostly SF, though, and also write (wrote, alas, in two of those cases) quite a bit of non-comedy.

message 6: by Marian (new)

Marian | 14 comments Neil Gaiman. The Anansi Boys is one of my favorite novels of all time (I didn't like American Gods). And, of course, he partnered with Pratchett on Good Omens.

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) Thanks, Jpinks, for starting this thread - I'm taking notes! I might add Jasper Fforde, though I sometimes miss out on his UK-related satire.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul | 11 comments Craig shaw gardener wrote the ebenezum trilogy about a hapless wizard around the same time as pratchetts early works and is sometimes refered to as the American discworld. I didn't rate them highly but others do.

message 9: by Gomez (last edited Nov 01, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Gomez Addams | 15 comments Oh, I forgot about Gardner, he's a good read, too, and come to think of it, Robert Asprin's "Myth" series is not bad at all, and there are nearly as many of those as there are Discworld books... well, not quite, but a lot... :)

http://www.goodreads.com/series/42225...

And, since Robert Sheckley was mentioned, one of my favourite authors of all time, another mini-series worth recommending is the one he wrote with another S/F Giant, Roger Zelazny, known as the "Millennial Contest", starting with this lovely title...

Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming

:)

message 10: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments Really enjoying Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London Books. They are different from the Mighty Pratchett, but share the Britishness in humour.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul | 11 comments Jim Butcher's Storm Front is the American equivalent of rivers of London only this time the detective is a 'wizard for hire'

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul | 11 comments David Langford's the leaky establishment has an intro by Terry saying he should have wrote it. Look it up on here

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 1 comments I've always felt that Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's" series to be the sci-fi equivalent of Discworld.

I haven't read them myself, but my friend loves them (he's the sci-fi guy and I'm the fantasy guy) and from our conversation about the two series, the humor seems similar.

Though I'm quite positive Pratchett is the superior wordsmith lol.

message 14: by Niall (last edited Nov 24, 2012 01:05AM) (new)

Niall | 129 comments Paul wrote: "Jim Butcher's Storm Front is the American equivalent of rivers of London only this time the detective is a 'wizard for hire'"

Started reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, on to the third book, for me they are not quite as good as the Rivers of London, but they are fun romps through the streets of Chicago

message 15: by Marian (new)

Marian | 14 comments Regarding Hitchhiker - Definitely Pratchett is a better and more consistent writer. The original book, The Hitchhiker's Guide is hilarious and wonderfully creative and then the rest of the series is something of a letdown. Discworld never lets you down though obviously some books are more appealing than others but to different people.

message 16: by Jpinks (new)

Jpinks | 3 comments I just couldnt get into the Dresden Files for some reason. I tried Jasper Fjord but still not as good as his Greatness Sir Terry :)

message 17: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Who is? I mean, I've spent most of my literary career so far utterly failing to live up to those standards.

message 18: by Huw (new)

Huw Evans (DocHuw) | 16 comments I would agree that Neil Gaiman and Douglas Adams use their words with the same care and deliberation. To that list I would add Joe Abercrombie, although any humour within his work is much darker

message 19: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Morrese (DL_Morrese) | 52 comments Pratchett is unique, and there is nowhere like Discworld.
Louise recommended Charlainne Harris and I haven't read any of her stuff yet. I'll have to try one. I keep meaning to. I have read most of the others mentioned here, though.
I offer the following as other books that have not yet been mentioned. They are fun, but they are also not like Discworld - because, as we've discovered, Discworld is unique.
The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael RubensThe Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens
The Ultimate Inferior Beings by Mark Roman The Ultimate Inferior Beings by Mark Roman
Felix and the Frontier by Chester Burton Brown Felix and the Frontier – by Chester Burton Brown

message 20: by Jpinks (new)

Jpinks | 3 comments Douglas Adams so tragic. Yes Hitchhikers is by far the best of the series, but the others are still good, but nowhere near as funny toward the end. Yahtzee Croshaw is a internet game reviewer and author. I tried his book Mogworld, it was good the ending was weak. He certainly kept humor in for the most part. As a gamer I enjoyed the take on an MMO.

message 21: by Barry (new)

Barry Hutchison | 1 comments Joined this group as a Pratchett fan, but my publisher would kill me if I didn't at least mention my own books in this thread. Since the first one was published last year I've had lots of Pratchett/Adams comparisons (although you'll find out why I disagree with them here: http://www.barryhutchison.co.uk/2013/...).

Neil Gaiman himself read the first book and tweeted about it. He even gave me a quote for the cover, the lovely fella that he is.

So, um, yeah. Here they are:

The 13th Horseman
The Book of Doom

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (MrsMelissa) | 5 comments Chris wrote: "I've always felt that Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's" series to be the sci-fi equivalent of Discworld.

I haven't read them myself, but my friend loves them (he's the sci-fi guy and I'm the fantasy g..."

I'd like to meet Chris 'The Fantasy Guy' ;)

message 23: by Karlis (new)

Karlis | 1 comments Malcoln Pryce is great if you want a book with some humour. They are noir detective books though, but his re-imagining of aberystwith is great. I heard of him through Fforde, who i love. Also Jonathan Strouds Bartimaus trilogy could be worth a try. Fantasy with a dry sense of humour.

message 24: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 3 comments try christohper Moore. his works are hilarious and well just plain bizarre. I first read "island of the sequined love nun". and I was hooked

message 25: by David A. (new)

David A. Lindsay (DavidALindsay) | 2 comments Try the Gaspar The Thief books. The prequel, Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats, is free 27/28 May 2013 at Amazon.

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul | 11 comments I'll have a read of your freebie David, cheers

message 27: by Mark (new)

Mark Cain | 2 comments After being a Pratchett fan for over twenty years, three years ago I began writing comic fantasy myself. My new series, Circles in Hell, was inaugurated just six days ago with the Kindle publication of HELL'S SUPER. The publisher is Taylor Street Books. We've priced it to sell at only 99 cents to build a readership. The sequel, A COLD DAY IN HELL, about a breakdown in Hell's HVAC system, is in revision and will be out in early 2014. Check out HELL'S SUPER at

http://www.amazon.com/Hells-Super-ebo...

HELL'S SUPER is about a man whose eternal damnation is to be Mr. Fixit to the underworld. in HELL'S SUPER, Steve and his assistant, Orson Welles, have to fix Hell's Escalator to avoid a crowding problem at Pearly Gates Level. Someone described my book as the product of the lovechild of Terry Pratchett and Doug Adams. (I didn't even know I was adopted!)

message 28: by David A. (new)

David A. Lindsay (DavidALindsay) | 2 comments I've never read any of Poul Anderson's books, though I am aware of the name. I'll bear it in mind, though my reading queue is enormous already. My wife has banned me from getting any new books until the queue has cleared!