Tuck Everlasting Tuck Everlasting discussion

Tuck Everlasting... worth the read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige Ive read the blurb and it sounds really good, so i really want to read it, but some of my friends are saying that its not as good as it sounds.

Is it worth buying it?
did you enjoy it?
also, if youve seen the film... is that any good?

:)

Jenn the book is worth the read, im not normally into books like that but i thought it was great. idk about the movie thoug, never saw it....looked stupid thoug...

@_@

Apurva well the book is decent but gets really boring at times. the movie is somewhat enjoyable. Your friends are right. its not as good as it sounds.
:^)

Melanie I don't know, I thought the movie was terrible, but the book was excellent. Depends on your own taste, but it is short so it won't be a huge investment of time anyway.

l ι l y Worth the read....it was changing.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl It's a pretty quiet story. It's amazing if you like something that makes you think, something that you can talk about with other readers. I don't know how old you are, but you might want to wait a while to read it. Lots of books I didn't like when I was in my teens and twenties I do like now at age 48 - and vice-versa (that is, liked them more then than I do now).

It is widely available in schools, libraries and second-hand shops - you shouldn't need to buy it.

Janeen-san Oh YES I'd say it's definatley worth the read, it's a really good book for all audiences!

message 8: by Eden (last edited Apr 26, 2011 10:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eden I had watched the movie years before ever reading the book. I thought the movie was great and it was a few years ago I borrowed the book from the library and read it.

The book isn't very long, but it's well worth a read. It is the kind of book that really makes you think. I personally love it and bought my own copy shortly after reading it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Idk....i liked it...

~xX☠ Ninjas! ☠Xx {Alexis} ~ Abbie wrote: "I loved the book, but I must say, the movie was better. I didn't like the idea of a 10 year old girl being the main character. Though the book was meant for kids that age, I still think she should ..."

i agree

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Kidneigh I've seen the movie and then i read the book and in some ways i find the movie to be better. This is one of the few books that i would say that for, for i believe that the book is always better.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the book then saw the movie, and the creepy guy in the yellow suit really creeped me out. He's like nightmares creepy..

Juliet I read it in school and I remember really liking it, I suggest you rent it from the library and if you like it then buy it. DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE FIRST!!

Robin I saw the movie first, and was disappointed in the book. The movie was very well done, this is the first time that if you see the movie, then you will have some background information.

Juliet I think you should read the book and then watch the movie because they are both very different, but still good

~xX☠ Ninjas! ☠Xx {Alexis} ~ Juliet wrote: "I think you should read the book and then watch the movie because they are both very different, but still good"

i agree

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it has an interesting plot but could be written better...

message 18: by Cait (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cait Boring. I tired my hardest to get into it and find the depth. Its there, but in small fragments. Other than that, its nothing I ever recommended to others. At least it was short.

Robin You must see the movie, it has the guy who was in General Hospital, Lucky Spencer, and the girl who is in Gilmore Girls. It is an enjoyable watch, oh and Sissy Spacek is the mother of the boy, and Ben Kingsley is in it as well. Good cast of characters. Should not have read the book myself, but it was okay.

Ashly Lorenzana This was one of the few books from my childhood/adolescence that stands out in my memory to this day. I thought it was thought-provoking, touching and memorable. Recommended for sure!

Annie I feel like you might as well watch the movie now. I liked the book when I was younger, but it'd probably bore me to tears now that I'm older. I loved the story, and for some reason I feel like every little girl should read it or see it. Just don't know why :P

message 22: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor This book is very interesting. The movie is okay. It's not my favorite though.

Robin I saw the movie first, and liked it and then I read the book. Liked the movie better.

Rachel I loved both the book and the movie! <333

Rachel Indeed, I do! Thank you for noticing!! :)

Carla I enjoyed the book. I hardly discourage someone from reading and forming their own opinion unless I feel duty bound to warn them. This was a good book something worth sharing with someone and discussing.

Airaology it is worth the read. HANDS DOWN. You could watch it with the movie && compare

Tanecia Yeah its sort of a kiddie book I think this is probally the first chapter book I ever read in elementary an I fell in love with it ! A great book for adults and children ...the book is probally cheap becaue its so old but I say buy it and the movie was okay just like the book but real life but I say cheap buy and fast read that you will love!

message 29: by Lele (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lele i had to read it when i was in elementary school and i thought it was a classic. i really think you should read it cause its cute and heartwarming (if you like that kind of stuff). i also LOVE the movie so go see that as well!

Becca i had to read it last year and i guess it was kind of predictable because i had heard or to once before very briefly. if that helps

Aaron Paige wrote: "Ive read the blurb and it sounds really good, so i really want to read it, but some of my friends are saying that its not as good as it sounds.

Is it worth buying it?
did you enjoy it?
also, i..."

Book was fine. Movie was better. Rent it, don't buy.

message 32: by Pavitra (new) - added it

Pavitra At first when i read it at school are teacher was like, "You will like it" like any teacher would say. and the class kept reading together and when you read it you think so much more about the world and stuff. at least i did. i would so recommend this book.

Kayla The book is great, even though it's sad, Short too. I blew through it in an hour. The movie I haven't seen.

Madeline wait... there's a movie?

message 35: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J Definitely worth reading.

Leslie I was disappointed in this one but then I rwad it as an adult so that may have been the problem.

Stephanie The book is great, the movie is good. I believe this book is better received by young teens (I teach it to my eighth graders.) But definitely worth it, makes you think, wonder, dream-always a good thing.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the book, but the movie was terribly acted out.. Plus, Winnie should have been a little younger..

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't remember, but In the movie, she looked a lot older, yet still acted the books charecters age.. I mean, in the movie, she was like 16, and catching fireflies.. LOL

Ellie Apurva wrote: "well the book is decent but gets really boring at times. the movie is somewhat enjoyable. Your friends are right. its not as good as it sounds.
:^)"

I agree. We read it for school and everyone complained about how boring it was. Some parts are good but I think for the most part, it's a pretty slow read. The movie's good, but the book is more detailed and better in my opinion.

Ellie Loony Lovegood wrote: "I loved the book, but I must say, the movie was better. I didn't like the idea of a 10 year old girl being the main character. Though the book was meant for kids that age, I still think she should ..."

I agree. It made her whole relationship with Jesse really awkward and unrealistic.

Ellie Better

Valerie I loved the book. it was really amazing, but really sad. If you don't like sad books, don't read it. I haven't watched the movie so I don't know.

Ellie I wouldn't say the movie is good, but it's better than the book.

vasiliki <3 the movie n' the actor that played jesse!!:]

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that watching the movie before reading this book ruins it.
I'm sure Babbitt put a lot of thought into Winnie's age & deliberately placed her at 10 years old. It's not supposed to be merely a love story.

message 47: by Reno (new) - added it

Reno Hance shut up man. the book is awesome.

Brisa I remember reading this book when I was 10 for our reading program at school, and I thought it was just amazing! Afterwards, we watched the movie (THE ORIGINAL movie from 1981!!!). The class definitely agreed that the 1981 version was not nearly as compelling as the book...this coming from 5th graders. I watched the 2002 version of the movie in high school, and I was rather impressed. Overall, it's definitely worth the read, but I would read the book first, then watch the movie. It makes you appreciate it in greater depth.

Janah D. I have the playaway and i read it last year for my book club its really good i recomend it to readers who LOVE detail !!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

From what I can gather, this book is something that there in the States they send you to read in schools, and maybe that's a reason why all of you don't like it very much... No one likes school books! But for me, this book was brand new, unexpected, magic, so innocent, naive. It is a short story, but a story we all can learn from. Do not expect to find anything like what you saw in the movie: there are no kisses, no young love, no waterfall scene. But the book is rich on itself, as a fairytale, and if you really can get into it, you'll find yourself wandering in the middle of those beautiful woods and feeling what Winnie feels. Very sad end though. Neither do I understand why everyone is messing with Winnie's choice, I mean, okay that Twilight puts inmortality in a super duper woopie happy ending thingie, but the era of this book is not the same. Winnie DOESN'T fall in love so deeply with anyone. She loves the family, yes. But why should she stay? She has a family on her own. Her mother, her father. From Winnie Foster we learn that at some point on our lives, when the chances are that we'll have to make a choice that will change our lifes and our beloved ones' as well, we'll have to think about them too before making the final decision, and not just on what we want.

« previous 1