Smart Books for Smart People. discussion

Book Talk

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Hello all!

(Hope you don't mind me posting a discussion topic but I couldn't resist!) I'm curious as to what book(s) everyone is currently reading.

And I was also wondering if anyone has read anything good lately that they'd like to recommend.

Hope all is well,
-A

message 2: by Corey (new)

Corey I'm reading "The Casual Vacancy" right now! It's great. Just read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" which is amazing. If you haven't read it, I highly suggest you do!

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Corey wrote: "I'm reading "The Casual Vacancy" right now! It's great. Just read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" which is amazing. If you haven't read it, I highly suggest you do!"

Interesting.
I've heard good and bad things about "The Perks of Being a Wallflower".

And once you've finished reading "The Casual Vacancy" please let me know how it is! I don't know if I want to buy it yet or not.

message 4: by Corey (new)

Corey Will do! What bad have you heard about Perks? I don't usually jump on the bandwagon, but I really thought it was incredible.

message 5: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments I won't be able to agree or disagree with them until I've actually read the book(which I am getting soon).

But one friend of mine told me that it was hard for them to get into it and another friend told me that there was a lack of description -which they really didn't like- and that the main character cried too much.

message 6: by Corey (new)

Corey Re Perks: I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on it, Amelia! And Tricia, stick with it...it's sort of a quick read. I can see how people can think those things about it. I don't think there was too much crying, or I didn't notice it if there was. The writing style is different so I would agree with the lack of description. But again, I didn't mind it. Really curious to hear both your thoughts!

Re Casual Vacancy: This is an interesting one. I'm almost halfway through and I like it. It's not terribly profound (yet), and that seems to have bothered the critics...especially coming off the high of the Potter series.

message 7: by Amelia (last edited Oct 10, 2012 08:50AM) (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Okay!
Well, Im currently reading, The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano by Sonia Manzano and Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

So far, both are very good.

And I've just ordered these books on Amazon-

Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day, Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz, and Looking for Alaska by John Green

(1) I've heard a lot of good things about "Bared To You" (It's currently #8 on the best sellers list)

(2) I have to read "Witches of East End" for another book club that I'm in so I really hope it's a good read

(3) John Green is one of my favorite authors, so I know that "Looking For Alaska" is going to be a good read.

Once I've finished everything I'll be sure to posts reviews and let you know how they turn out! :)

message 8: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Corey wrote: "Re Perks: I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on it, Amelia! And Tricia, stick with it...it's sort of a quick read. I can see how people can think those things about it. I don't think there w..."

I'll be sure to order CV and Perks this weekend. Although as you can see, I have a handful of books to read, so I probably won't get to them until next week or the week after.
But I'll be sure to let you know what I think of them!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read the casual vacancy (is it appropriate for a 14 year old, I'm pretty mature) but I loved the perks of being a wallflower, despite the 3/5 rating I gave it :D

If you people want to read a smart book read LOOKING FOR ALASKA and THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, by my favorite author ever

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

ahh, I see you ordered looking for alaska on amazing. You won't be disappointed, but you will cry

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, I didn't like the Divergent series or Delirium series too much

message 12: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Yes, I love, love, love John Green! "The Fault in our Stars" was a great book! Definitely had me in tears.

I haven't read the Delirium series yet, but I'm curious, why didn't you like the Divergent series?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just felt like the background of the book wasn't very well built, like for starters, who segregates people to STOP war? But it's also opinion, I don't generally like dystopian, i've read WAY too much.

Delirum, it's pretty much like every other romance i've read. Book one she falls for a guy, book 2 she falls for a second guy, and in book 3 (which hasn't come out yet) she'll have to pick :P I wish the author was more original

message 14: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments I can see where you're coming from.
But I'm the opposite, I really loved it. I don't normally read dystopian, so Divergent was a refreshing read for me.

I haven't read Delirium yet, but it's on my list of books to read!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

You said you like John Green right? Are you a nerdfighter..... :)

message 16: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Nasra wrote: "You said you like John Green right? Are you a nerdfighter..... :)"

I've only read one of John Greens books and am currently reading another.

What's a nerdfighter?

message 17: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Caraballo (MsAmelia) | 9 comments Hi everyone :)

I was just wondering if anyone has read the book Gone Girl ?

I've been hearing a lot of good things about it but I'm lacking the motivation to read it.