We Read Indie Books RG2E! discussion

October book discussion: Revenge

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Ward (tamaraward) | 80 comments Mod
After you're read Revenge, please discuss it on this thread! Revenge

message 2: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 10 comments Yay! I'm so happy Revenge is our book this month. I've already read it, so I'll wait for others to catch up :D

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Ward (tamaraward) | 80 comments Mod
Okay... don't everyone comment at once! ;)

I've just begun reading the book. It seems like this month has just been crazy... and it's almost gone.

So I'm not far along in the book. But so far I'm interested in how the author is going to handle the relationship/romance since we're reading about a woman who is married to an awful man, and it appears that she's going to be getting together with a man who isn't her husband...

Still reading,
Tamara

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Netzel | 2 comments Aw, man, I have Revenge, but haven't had time to read it yet. :(

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondahopkins) | 43 comments I haven't either. I have the book. Have had it a while and thought this would be a great time to actually get to read it. And then I completely forgot about reading for this book group until I got notice of Stacey's comment. I'll read it and will comment back here when I have. October really was a crazy month.

message 6: by Allyson (new)

Allyson | 1 comments I finished reading it and immediately bought retribution! Both were great action filled books with great love stories! I don't want to give anything away...

message 7: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Craviotto (DarsBooks) | 8 comments So many books, so little time. I keep hoping I'll be able to jump into one of the books this group is reading but I have my own "must-reads" and no time for extra books. Between that and finding time for my writing, I don't have a moment to spare. Hope it's okay that I'm lurking and seeing what books are being read.

message 8: by Karysa (new)

Karysa Faire (KarysaFaire) | 17 comments So I know it's already the end of November, and this book was supposed to be discussed in October, but here goes. . .

LOVED IT!!! Writing was excellent, editing was great, story was fun, I felt like I was in Italy. I've recommended it to my family and friends. :-) If you haven't read it, READ IT.

A question for those in the know-how much of the mafia family thing was fiction, how much was based on reality (or, the reality we know)? I read one review that said it was completely fictional. If this is true, BRAVA! I thought the setting, the interaction between the families, was based on research (not real families, but hopefully you know what I mean).

SPOILER ALERT:
The only thing that bugged me was the unprotected sex after the first time, especially since unwanted pregnancy was an issue for Kate in the beginning of the story. Her foregoing her morals on this point could have been taken care of in the narrative (ex, the great stress she was under, convincing herself that there would be no way she could get pregnant, living for the moment having gotten so close to death, etc). That said, I loved the rest of the story so much that I just kind of overlooked that part (not something I usually do, btw).

message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana Delamar (DanaDelamar) | 16 comments Karysa wrote: "So I know it's already the end of November, and this book was supposed to be discussed in October, but here goes. . .

LOVED IT!!! Writing was excellent, editing was great, story was fun, I felt li..."

Hi Karysa,

Somehow I missed this post when you made it and just now saw your comments on the book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much that you're recommending it to family and friends. That means a great deal to me! :)

Regarding how much of the book is fictional and how much is real, I did a lot of research on the Calabrian Mafia and tried to base as much of the story on how the 'Ndrangheta operates in real life as possible. That said, the families and incidents in the book aren't real, though incidents similar to some of those in the book may have occurred in real life. (For example, a number of anti-Mafia judges have been assassinated.) The 'Ndrangheta are very secretive and law enforcement hasn't turned many of them, so I did have to speculate about how various things might be done. That's part of the fun of writing. :)

I have actually been to most of the locations mentioned in the book, so I tried to hew as close to real life in portraying those as possible.