Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Let's compare weather! > Weather - Thurs. Feb. 12, 2009 - What's YOUR weather?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 12, 2009 05:46AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16314 comments Glens Falls, NY - Thurs. Feb. 12, 2009
Temp at 8:35 AM-ET: 38°F (3°C)
Foggy and Rainy this morning.

We have a wind advisory: ====>
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx...
Among other things it say:
"A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 31 TO 39 MPH ARE EXPECTED OR WIND GUSTS OF 46 TO 57 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION. FURTHERMORE...WEAKENED TREE LIMBS MAY SUCCUMB TO THE WINDS AND COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO VEHICLES AND HOMES."

Today: Rain showers before 3pm, then rain and snow showers.
High near 44.
West wind between 9 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.
West wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 60%.
New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

At least the temperature is up!

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5915 comments We're warm today & just a breeze. Gusts over 70 mph were reported around the state yesterday, though. Our power flickered a lot, but never went out for any length of time, thank goodness. We had to reset the heaters in the shop & tack room this morning though. All the clocks except for the one on the stove. It seems to have extra life in it.

Power flickers do weird things to my shop's outside lights. They're on light & motion detectors. If the power goes out at night, they come on & stay on the rest of the night. They're fine after daylight turns them off.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16314 comments It's so annoying when we have to reset all the clocks after a split-second outage.

Why didn't the heaters automatically come back on when the power came back, Jim?

We tried a motion detector light, but everytime the wind blew, the light would go on. So it didn't seem practical.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5915 comments In the shop & tack room, we use cheap little floor heaters that you can set to various temperatures. When the power goes out to them, they default to off. I'd love to get a better kind of heat in both places, but their nature makes a cheap floor heater the best option.

My shop, even with dust collectors & plastic, gets covered in a fine layer of sawdust constantly. Open flames are a no-no & electronics tend to die from it too. Being able to take the little heaters outside & blow them out with the air compressor helps, but the fans & switches generally go bad after a couple of years.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16314 comments Jim wrote: "In the shop & tack room, we use cheap little floor heaters that you can set to various temperatures. When the power goes out to them, they default to off."

I see. Thanks for explaining.

I can see how the sawdust can be a problem. Fine dust of any sort is always a problem. After we had our summer house renovated, I found white dust everywhere for years. It was from the sheet rock installation. The dust is still in the cubby hole under the stairs where I save all sorts of junk.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5915 comments Drywall dust is like that. Gets everywhere & is very visible. Hard to get rid of. We used to tape plastic over doorways & ventilation ducts, open windows & do everything we could to minimize it. Still we'd hear screams. It's impossible!

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16314 comments Yes, Jim, drywall dust is VERY visible.

I have a pretty framed sign on my wall which says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You may look at my dust, but please do not write in it."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the junk & the drywall dust under my stairs, it will be there until we move out. :)