The Sword and Laser discussion

Main stream heroes or indie/minor comic heroes?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 46 comments I love such books as Avengers, etc. However my favorite character of all time is Moon Knight. I am 30 and have a large collection of old and the new comics. Just curious who are some of your favorites?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I think Mazikeen, war leader of the Lilim in exile and sometime girlfriend of the prince of hell, from Mike Carey's Sandman spin-off Lucifer might be my favourite character of all time.

description

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 143 comments I loved fantasy and sci fi elements in comic books even as a kid, my favourite would have to be Rom the Spaceknight - loved that series and had the cheesy toy as well (showing my age.....)

message 4: by Phil (last edited Oct 08, 2012 12:24PM) (new)

Phil | 979 comments The Silver Surfer is my favorite individual hero by far. I've also always enjoyed the Avengers and fondly remember the original Guardians of the Galaxy from the 70's.
I seem to like big cosmic story lines like the Kree/Skrull war, the Secret Wars, and particulary the Infinity Gauntlet.
More recently and down to Earth I thought the Civil War was quite well done.
I'm hoping the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie with the newer team is well recieved.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (MatthewDL) | 305 comments While I'm also a fan of the big names in comic heroes I'd have to say my favourite is Iron Fist. The Immortal Iron Fist got me back into reading comics in a big way after dropping them in my early teens. I'm also a big fan of Moon Knight. The most recent run was astounding on so many levels.

Too bad Marvel drops stuff like that to run like a dozen different x-men/wolverine/avengers titles.

message 6: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments Came late to the comics party and rather than jump in with a whole load of missing backstory I started when Marvel did the whole 'Ultimate Universe' thing although I am behind with that now.

Other than that I enjoy Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?, Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Volume 1 and Cowboy Ninja Viking Volume 1.

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments Lucian the librarian from Sandman :)

message 8: by Rasnac (last edited Oct 08, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments Mike Mignola's Hellboy and related comics like BPRD, Witchfinder, Lobster Johnson etc. are the only American comics I read these days. I quit reading DC and Marvel after all that Civil War, One More Day, Brightest Day bulls..t.

I followed Alan Moore's (recently concluded)The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for half of my life (from age 16 to 32. And I read all comics written by Neil Gaiman. I would read anything those two write.

I also read fumetto Martin Mystere from Bonelli Editore since I was a little boy. Bosnian-French artist-writer Enki Bilal's Nikopol trilogy was my gateway drug to French school of comics.

I have many favourite characters but if I had to choose I would say Hellboy, Horus from The Carnival of Immortals, Prof.Martin Mystere, Captain Nemo from LOEG, and Barbie from Sandman: A Game of You.

message 9: by Celine (new)

Celine | 36 comments I only started getting into comics in the past couple years, so there's a lot of characters I haven't read anything about yet. I'll read anything by Neil Gaiman, and the Sandman is my favourite series. Mike Carey's Lucifer was really good as well, and I've been enjoying The Unwritten so much - it's really amazing.

I'd have to say my favourite superhero team is The Runaways, though.

message 10: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments One of my favorite comics was Hitman Hitman, Vol. 1 A Rage in Arkham by Garth Ennis

Got to love a Hitman that specializes in only taking down super powered individuals - and giant kudos to the guy for barfing on batman"s boots

message 11: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 46 comments Iron Fist!!! Totally forgot my childhood obsession with that one. I think his nemesis was Steel Serpent.

message 12: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Although it's cheesy, sci-fi fun, Heath Huston from Fear Agent is entertaining.

message 13: by Ezra (new)

Ezra Farber | 26 comments I've always had a soft spot for deadpool - i had brain cancer too, so he's like a mascot!