Deathstalker discussion

Deathstalker Series > Sci Fi? Fantasy? Or Other?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 58) (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 488 comments Mod
This discussion is about what genre we think the Deathstalker Saga fits into. Is it true Science Fiction or not? Please post your thoughts.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave (Ddeathstalker) | 28 comments I'd say it is. I'll write some more later

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

I'd be interested to see your views on the matter, because I've read a lot of fantasy but not a lot of sci-fi. :)

message 4: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments I think it is a sci fi book for sure, but there is many aspects in it that scream out fantasy. I love that although it takes place in this futuristic empire with savage technological advances hand to hand combat still prevails as the main and most honorable way to fight. "Honor" another aspect that makes me think fantasy. In other sci fi books that I've read (which is not many) honor has not been a theme or a source of influence in the story line. But in this series honor seems to play a major role in the characters decisions as well as conflict between characters whether it be to be honorable or the lack of honor.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

I haven't read a lot of sci-fi, but I do agree with you Danny. Deathstalker is definitely sci-fi (I mean, what screams science-fiction more than space ships and aliens?), but you are right in saying there are fantasy elements. I think that's one of my favorite things about these books. Green takes elements of fantasy, like sword-fighting, and honor - and maybe even espers - and fits them pretty much flawlessly into a world that is very far in the future. I personally think that would be something very hard to do, but he manages to find a perfect excuse for all of these integrated fantasy elements.

message 6: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments Some of the stuff Green comes up with is soo out there! His imagination is at a different level. Great fantasy/ sci fi author.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Totally agree - in his writing I found things I never expected to find, or even like, and that's one if the best things about him as a writer- he can surprise you. :)

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Marcus | 180 comments So can we label this as science-fantasy then lol

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

:D That's an interesting way of putting it! I like that actually. It works. :)

message 10: by Carter (new)

Carter | 6 comments I believe the term you're looking for is space opera :)

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Haha, well, I guess it is. I'm wary of using that word ever since one of my friends read the word "space-opera" on the blurb, asked me "Does that mean it is an opera in space?", and then proceeded to very badly sing a whole page. *face-palm*

I still like the term science-fantasy as well. :)

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Marcus | 180 comments The genres of Sci Fi & Fantasy work well together. By the way - just discovered that there is a second episode trilogy comprising Deathstalker Legacy, Return & Coda. Anyone read these?

message 13: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments Hey
I have to say - having read classic space opera like the Lensmen series - Deathstalker is Space Opera. It has all the elements, and I included it in the genre guide I had to write this semester for Uni, because Deathstalker is such great space opera.

I have read Legacy, Return and Coda - and I enjoyed them, but I'm not sure as much as I enjoyed the others...does that make sense?

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

@Chris: Yeah, I've read that trilogy, they're really good.

@Jaq: That totally makes sense! I felt the same way when I read them - they were still amazing, but it just wasn't the same, was it?

message 15: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments So true Becca - I was like...hmmm is this it??? I was expecting a bit more - I guess my expectations had been raised by the rest of the Deathstalker canon..

Still loved them and thought they tied up a few loose threads...but left me wanting more...

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Yeah, I felt exactly the same. I don't know if you've read any of my reviews of the Deathstalker series, but I think in my review of Legacy I said the problem with the book was that there was a Golden Age in the first place.
Everything we knew from the first five got turned on it's head, and it just wasn't right any more. I was so disappointed when I found how little time Owen had in Coda, being one of the few left from the original series.

message 17: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments I know I felt the same way...and you're right about the golden age...

I was disappointed too - after the rock and roll of the first Deathstalker series, these though good, weren't in the same league....

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

:D Rock and roll is a really good way of describing it. The second Deathstalker series a bit meh, to be honest.

So how many of Simon R. Greens books have you read exactly? I've only read Deathstalker, but I want to read more. :)

message 19: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments Read the Nightside series - I adore John Taylor and Suzy Shotgun....they really quick to read too, and you can get through the entire series quickly. Plus I love the Secret Histories too - it's like James Bond in a Fantasy setting....and I adore the very English humour too...

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

James Bond in a fantasy setting sounds extremely interesting and fun! And I'm sure Simon R Green is about the only person who could make that work... :D

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris Marcus | 180 comments Well I've splurged and spent £8.41 on buying the 2nd trilogy of DS books based on your good reviews people! Will add them to the pile of 32 unread books I currently have!

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Haha, that's great! Can't wait to hear what you think of them. :) I too have a grand total of 35 new books to read... help! :D

message 23: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments I'm supposed to be doing exam revision - but I'm currently churning through my backlog of books, and comics...I do believe this is called procrastination.

Good luck with the 2nd Trilogy!!!! Let us know what you think....

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris Marcus | 180 comments Can you revise comic books lol

message 25: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 16, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

@Jaq: Heehee, I'm proud of your procrastination skills. :)

Picture 1: http://epicdemotivational.com/wp-cont...

Picture 2: description

Picture 3: description

((This is my version of procrastination - finding posters for it. :D))

message 26: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments I've just finished some Judge Dredds, and I'm like...hmmmmm....where has the great stuff gone??? (Yes I'm going through the teenager stage I should have gone through...hahahah)

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

ROFLMAO.

message 28: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments I know...it's too funny...

message 29: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments ha picture 3 made me laugh.

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

:D I'm glad - it makes me laugh every time. :)

message 31: by Alexandre (new)

Alexandre Frenette | 2 comments On the topic of SiFi or Fantasy, when you read them both often enough you tend to notice something interesting, apart from the mechanics they are essencially the same genre, let me make my case before labelling me a heretic :D

Setting: Far enough (past/future) to be radically different and therefore help with the suspendion of disbelief.

Magic System: Fantasy - Different types of Magics/spells/enchantments/etc. and the people who can use them have nifty names (mages/warlocks/etc.)
SiFi - Different types of technology/pseudo-scientific talents/enhancements/etc. and the people who can use them have nifty names too (psionics/espers/haedenmen/Jedi/Engineers/etc.)

Politics: Most epics have intrigue and politics of the empire/kingdom variety with a class system etc. only the setting changes not the human nature of the participants.

Scope: SiFi - although the scope is much larger (Galaxy/Billions of people etc.), transport technology (FTL) makes this essencially irrelevant to the scope of the story.
Fantasy - smaller in conceptual scope but the general lack/inadequacies of transport technology makes for an equivalent scope to SiFi.

Magical Creatures/Sentient Races (Fantasy) = All sorts of Aliens(SiFi)

Historical use of the Medium: Both SiFi and Fantasy were historically used as medium for social criticism.

So with that said, Deathstalker is most deffinately a Science-Fiction Series, for its fantasy equivalent in political intrigue I'd suggest George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series (I know I used the TV show name for the book series, sue me its been a while since I read the last one)

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

@Alexandre: *gapes in awe* Nice answer! I'm very impressed - and it's okay, I won't be labelling you as a heretic any time soon. :D Would it be fair to say then that Sci-Fi and Fantasy are two sides of the same coin? And that Deathstalker encompasses both? :)

As to Game of Thrones, literally everyone keeps telling me to get the hell to the nearest bookstore and get the books, but with so many other new books to read I seem to lack both time and motivation. I mean, come on, those things are huge! *sigh* Decisions, decisions...

message 33: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments Okay I'm about to quote Arthur C. Clarke here with his third law:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So really fantasy with it's use of magic, could in actual fact be an "advanced technology" that has yet to be reduced to it's components by the folks who experience it....

I agree with Alexandre that the two genres are very similar and also host cross over series like Deathstalker, Burrough's John Carter of Mars etc.

But I would say that if you said that to a hard core science fiction reader (and I've known a few) who actively despise Fantasy because of it's perceived soft plots (quests, mythical creatures...) then you'd be in for a stoush..... Science Fiction at it's basis has some kernel of science, while Fantasy is really all about the unknown, unknowable.....

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Jaq wrote: "Okay I'm about to quote Arthur C. Clarke here with his third law:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So really fantasy with it's use of magic, could in actual f..."

I'd never thought of magic and technology that way before! It's a very interesting and very plausible theory ^^ that argument.

:D Note to self: Don't discuss this with a hard core science fiction fan. Though I'd still be tempted to try and argue with one such fan that Sci-Fi and Fantasy, despite looking completely different are in some ways quite similar. Not that I've ever understood anyone hating Fantasy anyway... :P

message 35: by Alexandre (new)

Alexandre Frenette | 2 comments Am I the only whovian here, because there is an episode of the 10th doctor (David Tennant) where he and martha travel back to the time of William Shakespeare... anyway, that is a strange episode where actual witches (well, aliens from before time began living in an alternate universe in which magic, not science rules) try to use William to take over this universe, as a fan of both styles, I absolutely loved that episode, its on netflix if you care to have a look.

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Haha, well, I'm certainly not a Whovian, though I have an immense amount of respect for the series in general, and David Tennant in particular.
Still, a nice way to demonstrate the links between sci-fi and fantasy. :)

message 37: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments I've seen that one.....Alexandre....it's a great episode too....(I'm old school Dr Who fan - I grew up watching the third Doctor - and he's still my number one favourite!).

Dr Who has crossed a lot of those boundaries - more so then many of the American shows....

message 38: by Jaq (new)

Jaq | 281 comments Oh and I'm back!!!!!

message 39: by Rebecca (new)

Hi Jaq! Welcome back! :) How is everything?

message 40: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments I wish there were better sci fi and fantasy shows on tv!

List ur top 5->

message 41: by Rebecca (last edited Dec 14, 2013 02:43AM) (new)

Danny wrote: "I wish there were better sci fi and fantasy shows on tv!

List ur top 5->"

Oh dear, I don't really watch much television at all, so I wouldn't know what to say!

~ Kyle XY was a reasonably good one (for a while anyway), which was about a clone who escaped from a secret base, but didn't have any memories... He was taken in by an everyday family, and slowly started to piece together who he was.
~ Otherwise in terms of Fantasy, I suppose Game of Thrones would be good if I could ever get around to watching it. :)

What are you favourite sci fi/fantasy shows?

message 42: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments Battlestar galactica
Legend of the seeker (good book series)
Dragonfly
Star Trek

message 43: by Rebecca (last edited Dec 14, 2013 02:57AM) (new)

Oh wow, how the Hell could I forget?! *slaps forehead* Firefly! Firefly is (or was, before the idiots cancelled it) absolutely my favourite science-fiction television show. And Star Trek isn't bad either. :)

message 44: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments Haha "dragonfly" go to sleep danny ur drunk

message 45: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments Battlestar galactica has to be one of the best sci fi shows out there

message 46: by Rebecca (new)

Oh, so you did mean Firefly? :D
Hmmm, never seen Battlestar...

message 47: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments Ya that's what I meant. I'm actually rewatching it

message 48: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments If u wanna watch a good sci fi show watch BSG

message 49: by Rebecca (new)

I'll keep it in mind. :)

message 50: by Danny (new)

Danny Silva | 55 comments Out of curiosity what are h guys reading right now?

« previous 1