What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Girl with rings that control dragons

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emery (new)

Emery (eshier) | 5 comments This was a series of two YA fantasy books. I read them in Jr. High, so they probably came out in the early '80s. I have no idea about title or author. Here are the things I remember:
Two male kids/young adults are travelling (no idea why). At one point they fall into the clutches of a group of witches (though I think they don't know that). Turns out the young girl witch has a ring that can summon/control a earth dragon and her scratching at it causes some tremors during the dinner the 5(?) people are having. I remember later they have found a second ring and I think I recall the witch girl (who goes off with the boys) running around a battle scene lighting fires and summoning the dragons. The only other incident I recall clearly is that at some point the group (2 guys and girl) arrive at a wizard's (?) home. One of the guys is given a test in which he has to nail a board to a wall using enchanted nails. When he hammers the nail in, it magically turns around and comes out of the board, point-first. He finally figures out he must put the nailhead against the wall and hammer down on the board.

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley, 1985.

Summary:
Aerin, with the guidance of the wizard Luthe and the help of the blue sword, wins the birthright due her as the daughter of the Damarian king and a witchwoman of the mysterious, demon-haunted North.

message 3: by Emery (new)

Emery (eshier) | 5 comments I'm very familiar with Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown. Not these books. Someone has suggested Giftwish and Catchfire, but I haven't had a chance to track them down. Thanks, though.

message 4: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments Woluld it qualify as a "read alike"? I could try a search that way.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemulford) | 112 comments Actually, April Ann, I'm pretty sure that whoever suggested Giftwish and Catchfire is correct. I knew I had read these, I just couldn't find them for Emery.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Michelle, When you do know, please come back and post and let us know. Thanks. I hope that Giftwish and Catchfire is your book. If you want you can move this to the POSSIBLY SOLVED folder or you can leave this thread here - either way.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 63 comments Here are links to the books you mentioned:
Giftwish
Catchfire
both by Graham Dunstan Martin

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemulford) | 112 comments Here is a picture of the book cover:
Giftwish - http://www.librarything.com/work/82448

message 9: by Emery (new)

Emery (eshier) | 5 comments Yeah, I suspect this may be them as they are the only YA fantasy duology I can't seem to track down. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get a good summary of the books to see what they're about. I have a friend at work doing an interlibrary loan to get them, just takes time. (Advantage of working at a college.)

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments Michelle, does Giftwish have dragons? The summary doesn't mention any.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemulford) | 112 comments From what I remember it does, and the book cover has a dragon on it.

message 12: by April Ann (last edited May 23, 2009 05:57PM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments Could it be something by Ann McCaffrey?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/a...

message 13: by rivka (new)

rivka | 298 comments Unlikely. Riders (and rarely others) speak to their dragons telepathically in the McCaffrey books. No rings or magic of any kind (the dragons are actually genetically engineered).