Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Front Parlor > Book/Literary Festivals!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments I thought this would be a great topic for our discussions! We can inform each other on Book and/or Literary Festivals happening in our areas!!! To begin I would like to inform everyone in the Nashville and surrounding area that the "Southern Festival of Books" will be happening this upcoming weekend, Oct. 12-14 in Nashville's Legislative Plaza!!!! Hope to see you all there!!!

Here is the link for information:

http://www.humanitiestennessee.org/pr...

message 2: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 618 comments I attended this literary Book Festival many years ago and really enjoyed it. Met authors like Kaye Gibbons, Lee Smith, Terry Kay and many others.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Nancy, this will be my first book/literary festival so Im really looking forward to it!

message 4: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3105 comments This is not a festival, but JK Rowling will be interviewed by Ann Patchett at the David Koch Center in NY. Becky and I have tickets! So we'll be meeting up next Tuesday :)

Is anyone going to BEA (BookExpo America) next year?
http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Press-...

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments I wish I could see Rowling!

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra O'Briant (SandraRamosOBriant_) | 59 comments I'll be moderating a panel on Historic Fiction/Nonfiction this coming weekend at Cal State Dominguez Hills. Had the official book launch for The Sandoval Sisters yesterday, and woke up to this:
http://labloga.blogspot.com/2012/10/t... which gives links.
Scroll down the pictures of various writers beginning with Junot Diaz. Someone slipped in a pic of me ...

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra O'Briant (SandraRamosOBriant_) | 59 comments Jackie wrote: "This is not a festival, but JK Rowling will be interviewed by Ann Patchett at the David Koch Center in NY. Becky and I have tickets! So we'll be meeting up next Tuesday :)

Read Patchett's last two books and all of Harry Potter. Should be a fun event!

Is anyone going to BEA..."

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra O'Briant (SandraRamosOBriant_) | 59 comments Jackie wrote: "This is not a festival, but JK Rowling will be interviewed by Ann Patchett at the David Koch Center in NY. Becky and I have tickets! So we'll be meeting up next Tuesday :)

I've always been curious about BEA, but it seemed overwhelming. Do people actually shop for books there?

message 9: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomLizaPerrat) Jackie wrote: "This is not a festival, but JK Rowling will be interviewed by Ann Patchett at the David Koch Center in NY. Becky and I have tickets! So we'll be meeting up next Tuesday :)

That should be a very interesting interview, Jackie! I'm an Ann Patchett fan, and I loved the Harry Potters too.

message 10: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (wwwgoodreadscomprofileMJ) | 7 comments Yes- I'll be going to BEA in 2013!

message 11: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (wwwgoodreadscomprofileMJ) | 7 comments BEA was always for the book industry with only one event for readers but last year they added some reader events and this year there will be many more - so it might be worth checking out when the final schedule is announced.

message 12: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (wwwgoodreadscomprofileMJ) | 7 comments Is anyone going to be a the Miami Book Festival next week? I'm going to be on two panels and hope there are some friendly faces in the audience.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments I wish I was in Miami and able to attend, love that city!

message 14: by Maryka (new)

Maryka Biaggio | 9 comments The Historical Novel Society is meeting in St. Petersburg, FL, June 21-23. It's a great conference for readers and writers. Wonderful panels. I'll be going for sure.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann Chamberlin | 40 comments Great, Maryka. See you there.

message 16: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3105 comments Anyone in the group going to BEA 2014? Here's the site:
http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Home/

This year they have a Power Reader Day pass for Sat, May 31st. Becky and I got tickets. We would love to meet anyone from our group that is attending. :)

message 17: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3747 comments Just... Be gentle! :P

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Does anyone know of any book/literary festivals happening in Germany? I moved here a few months ago and would like to attend.....thanks!

message 19: by Nika (new)

Nika | 4 comments There's a book fair in Leipzig, but I don't know when.. And I think there's one in Frankfurt, too! You should google it though.

message 20: by Elizabeth La Lettrice (last edited Aug 18, 2014 07:39AM) (new)

Elizabeth La Lettrice (ElizabethLaLettrice) | 34 comments Sandra wrote: "Jackie wrote: "This is not a festival, but JK Rowling will be interviewed by Ann Patchett at the David Koch Center in NY. Becky and I have tickets! So we'll be meeting up next Tuesday :)

Is anyone going to BEA..." I've always been curious about BEA, but it seemed overwhelming. Do people actually shop for books there?"

Hi Sandra, BEA is mostly an industry event but they will have 2 days (I believe) for readers/consumers next year. You do not "shop" per say, but rather, find out about big upcoming books that various publishers are promoting, attend author signings and discussions, and receive/collect LOTS of galleys/advanced reading material from publishers. It's really a lot of fun, if you can make it!

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3747 comments Elizabeth - it was a little different this year (and presumably will be going forward). The two open-to-the-public days are now known as BookCon and many vendors actually were selling their books rather than giving them away like at BEA.

When Jackie and I went this year, we got some books for free, but the majority of the stalls we saw were either display-only promotional booths or for-sale books.

At the signings (if you can stomach the lines AND get a ticket) there are free books on offer - but they are limited and in my experience take too long to get more than 1 or 2 if you want popular authors' books.

Elizabeth La Lettrice (ElizabethLaLettrice) | 34 comments Becky wrote: "Elizabeth - it was a little different this year (and presumably will be going forward). The two open-to-the-public days are now known as BookCon and many vendors actually were selling their books r..."

Interesting! I am on the publisher-side so I don't get to see it from the consumer perspective... However, they have changed it a lot each year. I didn't expect for-sale books, though! Thanks for the info. :)

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (CramptonMargaret) | 6580 comments There's the Frankfurt Book Fair which is amazing!! It is not to be missed. It's usually in October I seem to remember I used to go every year when I ran the publishing company.

message 24: by Traveling Diva (new)

Traveling Diva (travelingdiva) Margaret wrote: "There's the Frankfurt Book Fair which is amazing!! It is not to be missed. It's usually in October I seem to remember I used to go every year when I ran the publishing company."

It is October 8-12 this year: Frankfurt Book Fair

message 25: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 289 comments Historical Novel Society conference in Denver, last weekend of June 2015! Definitely going, no doubt. Finally, an excuse to visit Colorado! :D

message 26: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3105 comments L.M. wrote: "Historical Novel Society conference in Denver, last weekend of June 2015! Definitely going, no doubt. Finally, an excuse to visit Colorado! :D"

Are regular readers allowed in??

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (ReadingwithMargaret) | 459 comments L.M. wrote: "Historical Novel Society conference in Denver, last weekend of June 2015! Definitely going, no doubt. Finally, an excuse to visit Colorado! :D"

I am going too, can't wait.

message 28: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 289 comments Jackie -- it appears so! All the preliminary information I've seen (about setting up speaking panels, etc.) have stated that the audience will be comprised of authors, book professionals (agents, etc.) and readers. I assume that means just regular readers and not "pre-selected" ones like bloggers, etc. but haven't been able to 100% confirm that info yet.

Maybe some of the people who have attended past HNS conferences can shed some light on this...?

message 29: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 289 comments That was a lot of etc.s in one post.

message 30: by Maryka (new)

Maryka Biaggio | 9 comments Anyone can register for the HNS Conference; there is no pre-selection. Registration opens on November 1. Guests of honor and workshop presenters have been selected. In the next few months the program will be set and those who are interested in checking it out will be able to do so before registration. You can learn more at: http://hns-conference.org. I'm on the Conference Board, so I'll be glad to answer any more questions.

message 31: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 289 comments Awesome! Thanks, Maryka. I'm looking forward to it!

message 32: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 277 comments I'll add to this discussion of the HNS Conference. It's an excellent welcoming conference that anyone who loves historical fiction would enjoy. I'll be there in Denver for sure!

message 33: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Thanks so much, I'm going to look now!

Nika wrote: "There's a book fair in Leipzig, but I don't know when.. And I think there's one in Frankfurt, too! You should google it though."

message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Margaret wrote: "There's the Frankfurt Book Fair which is amazing!! It is not to be missed. It's usually in October I seem to remember I used to go every year when I ran the publishing company."

Awesome, thank you so much!

message 35: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Traveling Diva wrote: "Margaret wrote: "There's the Frankfurt Book Fair which is amazing!! It is not to be missed. It's usually in October I seem to remember I used to go every year when I ran the publishing company."

I..."

Thank you, I plan on attending!

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (CramptonMargaret) | 6580 comments It will Wow you!

message 37: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Margaret, will you be attending this year? If so, we can meet up!

message 38: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Margaret wrote: "It will Wow you!"

Margaret, will you be attending this year? If so, we can meet up!

message 39: by CandyBeans (new)

CandyBeans | 106 comments I'm so happy that I found this thread! I just noticed that the Baltimore Book Festival has an HF panel with the following authors: Stephanie Dray, Daughters of the Nile; E. Knight, My Lady Viper; Kate Quinn, The Serpent and the Pearl.

I'm thrilled about Kate Quinn, because I really liked The Serpent and The Pearl. I may try to read the others before the panel too.

Is anyone going?

message 40: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 277 comments CandyBeans wrote: "I'm so happy that I found this thread! I just noticed that the Baltimore Book Festival has an HF panel with the following authors: Stephanie Dray, [book:Daughters of the Nile|1581..."

I wish I were. That will be a dynamite panel. Have fun.

message 41: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (CramptonMargaret) | 6580 comments Danielle I have retired now and am in South Africa. I would have loved to meet up with you but sadly won't be there. Enjoy it!

message 42: by CandyBeans (new)

CandyBeans | 106 comments Thanks! I'll report back :)

message 43: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments Bought my ticket for the Frankfurt Book Fair!

message 44: by Pedro (new)

Pedro Puech | 102 comments An International Literary Festival is held every year in Parati - Brazil. Besides the very interesting panels (all with simultaneous interpretation), there is the beauty of the small ancient village by the sea.
www.flip.org.br

message 45: by Sally (new)

Sally | 17 comments The Iowa City Book Festival is Oct. 2-5. http://www.iowacitybookfestival.org/ Iowa City is a UNESCO City of Literature and home of the Iowa Writers' Workshop.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 37 comments Pedro, I checked out the Flip Festival in Brazil - looks fun with music and all. The authors that presented last year were mostly surrealists, which is a typical genre for Latin America. Do the Flip organizers choose a different theme each year or is it geared towards Latin American writers?

message 47: by Pedro (new)

Pedro Puech | 102 comments Barbara wrote: "Pedro, I checked out the Flip Festival in Brazil - looks fun with music and all. The authors that presented last year were mostly surrealists, which is a typical genre for Latin America. Do the Fli..."
It´s international, Barbara, but more than half of the audience and panelists are from Latin America. They have guests from US and Europe every year. Most of the panels are about international issues, and a few about Latin America, environment etc. Each year they chose one author to praise, not a theme. Last year the chosen was Millor Fernandes, a famous Brazilian who had passed away. It´s a very nice fair. Problem is one has to make the reservations when the fair is announced, because the city is not as large as Frankfurt. It is charming village with good restaurants and good music. If you want to google it, the village is called Paraty (with y), a Tupi word, although the fair is called Parati (because the organizers wanted to take advantage of the Portuguese expression "para ti" - for you). To those who like history, the village itself is a time travel- even the street pavement is from the early 18th Cent.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 37 comments Paraty sounds like a lovely place. I have not visited Brazil yet and would love an excuse. Good opportunity to expand my Spanish to Portuguese. Thanks for the information.

message 49: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 26 comments My daughters and I will be attending the Frankfurt Book Fair this Sunday!!! I can't wait!

message 50: by Melissa (last edited Jan 16, 2015 11:58AM) (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 223 comments I keep meaning to buy tickets for BEA, but then I never do.