readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > magic/fantasy for child

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hibi) | 31 comments I am in need of some book selection help. I have begun tutori
ng a 3rd grade girl in Reading/Writing. I typically work with 1st and 2nd, so my book knowledge for this age group is limited. What I am hoping to find:

Something at a 4th or 5th grade level.
Something rich in vocabulary possibilities.
As far as format she likes books written like diaries, but this isn't necessary.
She likes books with magical elements. Fantasy and fairy tales are good. She does not like female characters who are too "girly."
The funnier the better.
Short chapters are good since we only have an hour each day.

One book she said she enjoyed was Amelia Bedelia.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Not sure if that is enough to go off of, but fingers crossed.

message 2: by Elena (last edited Oct 07, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Elena (ElenaLikesBooks) | 88 comments Ella Enchanted! Funny, wonderful fantasy with a tomboyish heroine. I'd put it at right about 5th grade.

Dealing with Dragons is a great humorous adventure fantasy to read together as well. I first read it in 5th grade, but I think some of the humor might go over the head of a 3rd grader? Not sure, it's been a while since I last read it.

Edit: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is an amazing read-aloud, and would definitely be good for vocabulary development. Not sure how gripping a younger kid would find it, but it's worth a try.

message 5: by Marie (last edited Oct 07, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Marie (mariethea) | 2 comments The School of Wizardry series, as I recall, would be good for that age. It's very short: somewhat Harry Potter-ish (as in, it starts with a school for wizards), but there's a lot of story. It's a fun world, too. The later books also have a great female character.

message 6: by sanny (new)

sanny (sanshow) | 15 comments I really liked The Magician's Elephant! The chapters are short and can be read as a standalone. And she writes other great books that can be enjoyed both by children and adults alike.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hibi) | 31 comments These all look really great! Thank you!

message 8: by Marius (new)

Marius Hancu | 8 comments Most of the Jules Verne works at that age ...

message 9: by Tuck (new)

Tuck | 184 comments i second american girl series, you can look at summaries for age group to see what age group/reading level it is aimed at, but one could quickly move on from say 4th grader to 6 7 8 what have you. most all also have interesting bibliographies and histories at end of books, for further reading.....McKenna

message 10: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1314 comments Mod
i am not great when it comes to "what is age-appropriate", so both of these might be too advanced, but hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable about kiddies can chime in, but both Breadcrumbs and When You Reach Me are fantastic with fairy tale and magical elements and great female characters. but they might be for more the 10-12 age group...

message 11: by Janet (last edited Oct 11, 2012 01:29PM) (new)

Janet (Janet_Lockhart) | 27 comments When she was a fourth grader my daughter, who also does not like "girly" female characters, loved the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. She read them, then listened to the audio versions, then read them again, then listened to them again. Laughing the whole time.

She also devoured the entire Royal Diaries series from Scholastic around the same time. One I remember is Sondok princess of the moon and stars by Sheri Holman. There are at least 20 titles in this series.

Good luck!

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hibi) | 31 comments I checked out one book from each of your recommendations. I am going to let her choose one or two tonight (to begin with). I shall let you all know the verdict if interested.

message 13: by karen, future RA queen (last edited Oct 25, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1314 comments Mod
sweet! i love it when there is follow-up!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hibi) | 31 comments She chose when you reach me, it is and is not working.

message 15: by Tuck (last edited Oct 26, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

Tuck | 184 comments one good thing about books and reading. you can put one down and choose from millions of others!

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hibi) | 31 comments Hahaha I asked if she wants to switch...she is the kind of person who feels obligated to finish a book once she starts.

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments are you sure that she can read a 4th or 5th grade level? amelia bedilia as a pretty easy book.

The Twenty-one Balloons is a really fun book.

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hibi) | 31 comments I am quite positive. She can read the book just fine. I don't think it was what she was expecting though. She is at that stage where she is capable of reading and understanding the slightly more advanced stuff, but she does not want to give up certain elements of the more juvenile stuff. She likes pictures, for example. She likes to make up her own stories as we read to see how close she can get to the actual story. I suppose that is why she likes pictures.

message 19: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments what about Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan I liked those at that age.

message 20: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 162 comments I recommend David and the Phoenix. The protagonist is a boy, about 8. May be just a little young for your pupil, but it's a great story.

message 21: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 77 comments A Wrikle in Time in a wonderful book by Madeline L'Engle. As a matter of fact, I believe it is the first book in L'Engle's trilogy. This author has written several great children's books that appeal on many levels to a wide age range.