Enso Book Club discussion

JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters
This topic is about JFK and the Unspeakable
possible books to read

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark (msmendelow) | 1 comments Mod
from a friend--I just finished reading this remarkable, very unsettling book.

After the Cuban missile crisis, Kennedy became convinced that the Cold War had become too dangerous. He started back-channel communications with Nikita Krushchev, proposing nuclear disarmament and resulting in the test-ban treaty. He also began communications with Fidel Castro and tried to start withdrawing combat forces from Vietnam. These moves were opposed by and considered traitorous by many in the “military-industrial complex” that Eisenhower had warned about.

I’ve read some of the work by conspiracy theorists about the grassy knoll and questions about Oswald’s past. Douglass has read and referenced them too, and conducted some interviews of his own with witnesses and others. I found his presentation to be very persuasive. He shows that John Kennedy was killed by the CIA. Lee Harvey Oswald had been a
CIA employee and was set up as a patsy, as was another CIA contract employee, Jack Ruby. JFK was actually shot by other CIA personnel from the famous grassy knoll in front of the limousine, not by Oswald from the window where he worked. The Warren Commission, which included former CIA director Alan Dulles, ignored evidence that contradicted the theory that Oswald was the lone assassin. Lyndon Johnson vowed to send more troops to Vietnam and made no efforts to move toward peace with the USSR or Cuba.

One of the book’s references also quotes a former CIA employee predicting that Robert Kennedy would be killed, too. The president’s brother was his closest associate in JFK’s moves toward peace and disarmament. Douglass also notes the assassination of Martin Luther King, another outspoken opponent of the Vietnam war, two months before Robert Kennedy was killed.

The author used to live nearby on the Kitsap Peninsula, where he and his wife Shelley founded the Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action to oppose the Polaris submarine base in Bangor, is a Catholic theologian, activist and writer. (The Douglass’s have since moved to Birmingham, Alabama, where they founded Mary’s House, a Catholic Worker house of hospitality.)

The book was published in 2008 by Orbis Books, the publishing arm of Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers. I found it very persuasive and very frightening. I strongly recommend it.