Books2Movies Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Threads > Let's Talk Movies - October 2012

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited Oct 07, 2012 11:58AM) (new)

Zeljka (ZTook) | 1982 comments Mod
What have you seen this month in cinema or at home? What would you like to see soon? Movies do not have to have anything with the books and do not have to be recent either :)

message 2: by Zeljka (new)

Also, if you've seen a film based on the book, it would be great if you could post your thoughts of it also on this thread, Adaptations on Review. That thread serves as one of the sources for finding new books to read in the club :)

For an example, I've seen just yesterday The Tempest (2010) with Helen Mirren as Prospera (yes, the lead character is female!), and will post that also on that thread :)

message 3: by Noirfifre (new)

Noirfifre | 127 comments The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes. It is a series but it is driving me crazy (good crazy). I would love to read the book sometime.

message 4: by Zeljka (new)

Yeah I loved it too - the book also seems interesting to read. But I was glad the season two ended the way it did - I wouldn't bear to go into the third season without any proper ending :) Oh wait. The Game of Thrones does just the same... But that's more Martin's fault :D

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I went to the theaters and saw a classic the other day. We went to see E.T. I guess since it is October I plan to see another classic. They are going to be showing Halloween sometime this month. I want to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Pitch Perfect, Sinister, Paranormal Activity 4, and maybe Cloud Atlas.

message 6: by Zeljka (new)

Ashley wrote: "I went to the theaters and saw a classic the other day. We went to see E.T. I guess since it is October I plan to see another classic. They are going to be showing Halloween sometime this month. I ..."

Great, classics are always worth to see on big screen - I wish our cinemas offer them once in a while, but our people tend to frown upon such suggestions, you know - why, we can see them on telly every day.

I am curious about Cloud Atlas as well and Life of Pi. I think tonight we'll go to see Looper - so much hype around it, but regardless I must admit, story seems interesting to me.

message 7: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 710 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "I went to the theaters and saw a classic the other day. We went to see E.T. I guess since it is October I plan to see another classic. They are going to be showing Halloween sometime this month. I ..."

Was Perks of Being a Wallflower any good? I'd love to see the first major film Emma Watson is in after Harrpy Potter, to see if she's really a good actress or she's really one character type, but that movie looks so teen dramatic that I think it would drive me crazy. Is it just another dumb teen drama movie or does it actually have some substance? And what about the book?

message 8: by Reev (new)

Reev Robledo (reevrobledo) Alana wrote: "Was Perks of Being a Wallflower any good?"

Saw the movie version of Perks of Being A Wallflower the other week. My thoughts:

Perfect cast. Great acting. But...

Though you see the intent of the author/director, it's quite an effort. Some edits were botched up and kind of disrupted the plot and character build-up. It could have been a really good coming-of-age flick. It's entertaining nonetheless.

I'm sure the book is better(?). Haven't read it.

message 9: by Samuel (new)

Samuel S.B. (Sa5muelB) | 2 comments I hope to see the Perks of being a wallflower really soon...I honestly want to see it. I intend to see a classic tomorrow...Gladiator

message 10: by Zeljka (new)

Samuel wrote: "I hope to see the Perks of being a wallflower really soon...I honestly want to see it. I intend to see a classic tomorrow...Gladiator"

Great, I love Gladiator too. Have seen it twice in cinema and then numerous times at home :)

Unfortunately I currently find myself multitasking so much I can't find time for one more, for watching movies. The only thing I managed to see last few days was an episode of Grimm, which I started to like a lot :)

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I read the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower and it is like a journal only it's a bunch of letters that the main character is writing to you the reader, so that could explain why the film may have been choppy at times. I haven't gotten to see it yet. It just started playing in my area this past weekend. I plan to see it sometime soon in the next couple of days.

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard | 5 comments Perks is on my list to go see, but haven't made it yet. I have seen Looper and Seven Psychopaths. Looper http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/ is a refreshing take on the time travel trope with a nice twisting plot and interesting ending which I won't spoil. 7 Psychopaths http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1931533/ has a real Tarantino feel (lots of stylized violence). The cast is intriguing -- Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson to name a few. Walken, who sometimes plays a stereotype of himself, was especially good. Both I believe are original screenplays, so don't know when they'll be available to read. But I'd recommend both movies.

message 13: by Samuel (new)

Samuel S.B. (Sa5muelB) | 2 comments Zeljka wrote: "Samuel wrote: "I hope to see the Perks of being a wallflower really soon...I honestly want to see it. I intend to see a classic tomorrow...Gladiator"

Great, I love Gladiator too. Have seen it twic..."

I really know what you mean...I am so busy of late, sleeping is becoming a problem and the only time I catch a break, I watch a classic like the Gladiator...I thought people no longer watched it. It is nice to know there's someone else out there that watches it

message 14: by Tai (new)

Tai (Poetress) | 19 comments I'd like to see the movie Flight with Denzel Washington. It looks to be very interesting.

message 15: by Zeljka (last edited Oct 31, 2012 02:15AM) (new)

OMG I've just stumbled across huge news -- Disney has just bought LucasArts and all the companies and franchises with it -- meaning Star Wars and Indiana Jones! They even announced Star Wars 7!

message 16: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 710 comments Mod
Ok, those of us who are total nerds...who has read the follow-up books to the Star Wars series? I'm really iffy about a Disney sequel to Star Wars, but I always wanted Lucas to make the Timothy Zahn trilogy into films. The problem is, I don't think they could get the original actors for it (they're way too old anyway) and I just don't know who else would have the right chemistry (although the recent Star Trek re-imaginings did a remarkable job with casting, so it CAN be done). Considering the huge amount of follow up books that have been written, would a completely difference movie even been considered canon? Or are they more likely to borrow from the books?

message 17: by Pat (new)

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments Last night we watched "The Woman in Black" with Daniel Radcliff. (It is hard not to think of him as Harry Potter, even if he has grown up-) But the movie was excellent. Gothic, suspense, and scary,for someone is is a self admitted sissy, but very well told. Interesting story and I will read the book. Most of the times that a movie is made , it pales next to the book. However I give this movie a 5 Stars rating. I do recommend it, and I am not fond of scary movies.

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 22 comments I have spent the whole month of October and will spend half the month of November not seeing any movie but waiting, waiting, waiting for Lincoln.

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 19: by Zeljka (new)

Shelley wrote: "I have spent the whole month of October and will spend half the month of November not seeing any movie but waiting, waiting, waiting for Lincoln."

:)

How time flies! Thanks to you, this month was great one for the group! Now let's go to November :)

message 20: by Mila (new)

Mila (MilaBrochku) Richard wrote: "Perks is on my list to go see, but haven't made it yet. I have seen Looper and Seven Psychopaths. Looper http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/ is a refreshing take on the time travel trope with a n..."

Seven Psychopaths was a wonderful dark comedy wasn't it. It reminded me of Im Bruges.

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard | 5 comments Haven't seen In Bruges, but it checked it out on IMDb. Sounds interesting. I'll have to watch it sometime.

message 22: by Zeljka (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Seven Psychopaths was a wonderful dark comedy wasn't it. It reminded me of Im Bruges."

Cool - the story seems hilarious and if you say it reminds you of In Bruges, I definitely must check it :D

In Bruges, along with British Death at a Funeral, was one of the funniest recent comedies I've seen. But in order to enjoy them, you must like silly British dark humor. Both films aren't appropriate for children, at least not for little ones.

message 23: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 59 comments The British Death at a Funeral is so much better than the American version. And without a doubt, it's just absolutely hilarious.

message 24: by Pat (new)

Pat (crabpatty) | 5 comments Pauline wrote: "The British Death at a Funeral is so much better than the American version. And without a doubt, it's just absolutely hilarious."

I absolutely loved both of the Death at a Funeral versions. The American version was true to form, more
rude,crude,graphic. But truth be told-(I hate to admit-) I did laugh. My friends are tired of my telling them about it. I bought it....the British version. I love it.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) I refused to watch the American version of Death at a Funeral. The original was brilliant.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Frye (MissyFrye) Saw Pitch Perfect today. Hilarious! Didn't realize it was based on a book until the credits rolled.

message 27: by Tony (new)

Tony Missy wrote: "Saw Pitch Perfect today. Hilarious! Didn't realize it was based on a book until the credits rolled."

The Idea of Pitch Perfect was based off of a book. The book is non-fiction, and is not about the "Bellas". Elizabeth Banks, Producer & Actor, read the book, and came up with the idea.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.