Evil Avatar discussion

EvAv Book Club

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zabyx (new)

Zabyx | 8 comments As stupid as it sounds, wouldn't it be cool if we all read the same book at the same time?

message 2: by Abraham (new)

Abraham | 3 comments And what would we read?

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments Maybe we could a monthly vote on book suggestions from the community?

message 4: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) I am planning on reading Brave New World sometime soon. Anyone else want to read it as well?

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments I've already got that on my to-read shelf, so yes! But that book may be too commonly read by this crowd to be the monthly book.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike (vyzov) EvAv book club? Sounds awesome.

message 7: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) I haven't seen Brave New World on anyone else's bookshelf as read. I'm going to start reading it when I head to New Orleans on January 3rd.

message 8: by Jeff (Jeffool) (new)

Jeff (Jeffool) (jeffool) | 2 comments I've read it, but I'll gladly re-read it to form a more recent opinion of it. Are we setting a 'due date' to have ideally finished it by? End of January?

message 9: by Allen (new)

Allen Wilson | 1 comments I'd read it again.

message 10: by John (new)

John Perkins | 1 comments I've never read it, so I'm game.

message 11: by Zabyx (new)

Zabyx | 8 comments I've never read it, but I'm not a huge sci-fi fan (I liked Ender's Game), so I can't make any promises, but I'm up for it.

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments Alright. Book #1, a Brave New World. End of January.

Let's consider it done.

message 13: by Nat (new)

Nat | 13 comments I'm in.

This is the book by Huxley, correct?

message 14: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) Indeed, the Aldous Huxley novel.

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike (vyzov) Sounds good, I guess I'll go pick it up this weekend.

message 16: by Nat (last edited Jan 02, 2008 01:46PM) (new)

Nat | 13 comments Barnes & Noble has this great book discussion (Reading Group Guide link) for most of their books now. Might be good for a reference:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/book...

Oh, and bn.com does store inventory search now. Finally. I'm picking Huxley's book up today. I hope we can keep this up.

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments Started reading this last night. Off to an impressive start, especially when I keep having to remind myself that Huxley wrote this in 1932.

message 18: by Nat (new)

Nat | 13 comments Yes! It reminds me of when I read Dracula and felt the same thing. If I was freaked what would people in the late 1800s view it as?

I'm amazed at how appropriate Brave New World is so far.

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric | 13 comments February book of the month?

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments I'll throw some suggestions out, and maybe someone will latch on to one of the books I want to read for the Book of the Month.

Albert Camus - The Plague
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

The Time Travelers Wife
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles (I've heard great things.)
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

Finally,
Perfume: The Story of a murderer
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34...

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric | 13 comments I just borrowed from my local Library: McCarthy's The Road, and Niffenegger's Time Traveler's Wife. So, I would take the Time Traveler's Wife. Anyone else with ideas?

message 22: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) The only one of those I've read is Time Traveler's Wife, which I HIGHLY recommend. I'd be willing to read any of the others.

message 23: by Nat (last edited Feb 04, 2008 10:01PM) (new)

Nat | 13 comments I would second on The Road. However, I've read it.

Here are my suggestions I'm pulling them from my pile.):

The Final Solution

Armor

Old Man's war (which I've just read but I liked it so much, well, you know.)

message 24: by Eric (new)

Eric | 13 comments Should we do an EvAv poll or keep coming up on ideas here and do a vote of some sort?

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments Well, we need a few more suggestions for a poll. Maybe I'll make an EvAv thread, and then make a poll based on that.

message 26: by Thad (new)

Thad Goozner (nnanji) | 3 comments Out of the listed options I would vote for Old Man's War, Final Solution, or Perfume.

I've also been meaning to re-read Donnerjack, by Zelazny and Lindskold (sp?). Maybe we can add that to the list?

message 28: by Abraham (new)

Abraham | 3 comments How about something completely different? I just started reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, which I would like to nominate. Should open a few eyes.

message 29: by Aske (new)

Aske (froghourt) What is The Time Travelers Wife about anyway? I guess the wife of a time traveler but that doesn't really help.

message 30: by Eric (new)

Eric | 13 comments Audrey Niffenegger's innovative debut, The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments For anyone unaware, Time Traveler's Wife is the official February book of the month.

message 32: by Aske (new)

Aske (froghourt) It sounds awesome, gotta get that book.

message 33: by Nat (new)

Nat | 13 comments Great. Going to B&N today. Looks like I'll be picking it up. I have about 30 pages left to Brave New World.

I've actually found that to be a chore.

message 34: by Aske (new)

Aske (froghourt) Really? I really liked the last part of Brave New World. There were parts that were a lot worse than that.

message 35: by Brock (new)

Brock | 3 comments Alas, my library doesn't have any copies of Time Traveler's Wife, but I did grab the audio book. I'll give it a listen... all 16 CD's worth. Sigh.

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments Alright yall. Perfume is March's book.

We'll have an entirely new vote in April.

message 37: by Philip (new)

Philip | 8 comments Mod
Any ideas for the April book? I missed the March book -- no time to get to the bookstore and pick it up.

I'm heading to the bookstore tomorrow to pick up a notebook, I might get it then.

message 38: by Philip (new)

Philip | 8 comments Mod
If no one has read it, I might recommend Stephen King's The Colorado Kid for the April book. Awesome story and short enough to be read in one sitting.

message 39: by Zabyx (new)

Zabyx | 8 comments I'd be down for Wind-Up Bird for the April selection, as I'm already a fifth into it (put it down when it got into the Historical fiction stuff, but I'm suer I could pick it back up). Or, we could all read Blood Meridian. Just saying.

Derek (Torrefaction) | 14 comments Remember to vote for this months book.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/show...

message 41: by Abraham (new)

Abraham | 3 comments So I finally picked up Hyperion for a read...now I'm curious to know how they're going to turn such a fantastic book into a movie.