The Sword and Laser discussion

Philip K. Dick
This topic is about Philip K. Dick
What Else Are You Reading? > Best Philip K Dick Books? Amazon Kindle Daily Deal!!

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mohrravvian (new)

Mohrravvian | 99 comments So, does anyone have suggestions for good PKD books? I've never read any but today's Amazon Kindle Deal is PKD books for $1.99, so I was thinking of stocking up, and am looking for suggestions! I planned on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but any others? Thanks in advance!!

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I would recommend A Scanner Darkly and The Man in the High Castle. The first book is probably the best adaption of a novel into a movie I have ever seen, and the other is probably his best known novel other than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

message 3: by Ezra (new)

Ezra Farber | 26 comments OH MAN!! I'm so glad other people are going nuts about this, too. Man in the High Castle is the #1 choice. Eye in the Sky is a cool and funny book that will make you think about religion differently (and shows off Dick's cynicism towards dogma). I'm going nuts here!

message 4: by Ezra (new)

Ezra Farber | 26 comments For a great perspective on his work, do a search for "The Best of Philip K. Dick," 11 short stories collected for 1.99. Awesome work. Roberto Bolaño loved his work!

message 5: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 468 comments I've read a lot of PKD, and two books not mentioned that are among my favs are A Maze of Deathand Clans of the Alphane Moon

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Owen wrote: "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said is a good book"

I would also recommend that book because it won all these awards.

message 8: by Mohrravvian (new)

Mohrravvian | 99 comments Thanks all for the advice! I picked up Ubik, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, and The Man in the High Castle. I noticed that Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was not on sale, so no need to rush on that one, I'll have plenty of time to pick it up later. :)

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (snwbunie) | 1 comments I loved Do Androids Dream... try and pick it up later, for sure.

message 10: by Forrest (new)

Forrest I really liked The Divine Invasion. It's over the top strange, but not so enamored of making a mockery of pop culture as some of his other work.

message 11: by Ed (last edited Oct 08, 2012 07:21PM) (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 170 comments Do not overlook Martian Time-Slip! It's fantastic, one of my favorite PKD novels. I also strongly recommend Ubik, and I've heard nothing but great things about Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.

I just read VALIS, and it's the first PKD novel I didn't love.