Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > The best MG book I read in SEPTEMBER was...

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.W. (last edited Oct 07, 2012 07:14AM) (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 842 comments Let's share our favorite Middle Grade read for September.

message 2: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 842 comments The best MG book I read in September was...

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan
The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

I bought this from Amazon and read it on my iPad and iPhone.

It was a great climax to a series that had me hooked from the first book.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Great thread - let's do it every month!

I loved an old Newbery Honor book, Jane's Island. My library in NV had to send to Maine to get it, but imo it was worth it. A family story, a coming-of-age summer adventure, science, and even a mystery. If your library has it, check it out in order to keep it circulating and on the shelves, not discarded, even if you don't want to read it right now.

message 4: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia Dinsmore (CordeliaDinsmore) | 105 comments I read quite a few in September, but I think Al Capone Does My Shirts was the favorite for me. I found the kids very real and loved all their quirks, and the storyline was quite interesting.

message 5: by Mary Alise (new)

Mary Alise Herrera (MAHerrera) | 4 comments Just finished Small, Medium, at Last by Joanna Levy. Really enjoyed it!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Al Capone Does My Shirts is one I've been meaning to look into, but I've never heard of Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy. (I assume that's what you meant.)

message 7: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia Dinsmore (CordeliaDinsmore) | 105 comments I've seen Small Medium at Large around, and it sounds intriguing, but I haven't gotten to it yet. My TBR pile isn't getting any shorter, even though I'm reading ALL THE TIME!!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie Clark I was surprised that I enjoyed Warp Speed by Lisa Yee. If you like The Revealers and Oragami Yoday, I think you'd like this. Started reading Eye of the Storm by Kate Messner. Just in the early stages, but it's got my attention and me wanting to read more.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Tabb (Robert_C_Tabb) | 117 comments I actually don't think I read a MGR this month with school starting up, working on grad work, getting my book in paperback and finishing the Hunger Game series (I was miffed by Mockingjay). But this month I will start reading plenty in conjunction with the Oregon Battle of The Books competition.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth My favorite book the I read in September was "The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes" by Kelly Easton. It was quirky and weird and just plain laugh-out-loud fun! Great question!

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes is another one I'd not heard of. Oh my poor groaning to-read list!

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth I feel your pain! It's like being at a buffet and they bring out fresh cookies! Every time a box comes at our library I check out more books...too bad I can't check out more time!

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Sounds like a dream job, Beth!

message 14: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Kernan | 6 comments I read and liked Closed for the Season Closed for the Season by Mary Downing Hahnby Mary Downing Hahn. Classic mystery with crisp language plenty of suspense.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Tasha wrote: "Sounds like a dream job, Beth!"

It is!!! I get paid to talk about cool books with kids!

message 17: by Tasha (new)

Tasha The best! :)

message 18: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (ESIvy) | 133 comments Beth wrote: "My favorite book the I read in September was "The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes" by Kelly Easton. It was quirky and weird and just plain laugh-out-loud fun! Great question!"

My daughter loved this book! You might like to try The Pepins and Their Problems by Polly Horvath Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath and To Catch a Mermaid by Suzanne Selfors

message 19: by E.S. (last edited Oct 31, 2012 08:14AM) (new)

E.S. Ivy (ESIvy) | 133 comments Katie wrote: "I was surprised that I enjoyed Warp Speed by Lisa Yee. If you like The Revealers and Oragami Yoday, I think you'd like this. Started reading Eye of the Storm by Kate Messner. Just in the early s..."

Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee is one of my favorites! Did realize Lisa Yee had another one out. I'll have to check it out.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth E.S. wrote: "Beth wrote: "My favorite book the I read in September was "The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes" by Kelly Easton. It was quirky and weird and just plain laugh-out-loud fun! Great question!"..."

E.S. wrote: "Beth wrote: "My favorite book the I read in September was "The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes" by Kelly Easton. It was quirky and weird and just plain laugh-out-loud fun! Great question!"..."

Tasha wrote: "The best! :)"

Tasha wrote: "The best! :)"

E.S. wrote: "Beth wrote: "My favorite book the I read in September was "The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes" by Kelly Easton. It was quirky and weird and just plain laugh-out-loud fun! Great question!"..."

Thank you for the new book ideas! I'm also looking for new ones!

Beth

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.