Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
This topic is about A Crown of Swords
The Wheel of Time > CROWN of SWORDS - Prologue through Chapter 10 **SPOILERS**

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I'm still a week behind. A Crown of Swords has slightly fewer chapters than the previous six books in the Wheel of Time series, so I might be able to catchup.

Spoilers are allowed for all previous books and up through the end of the tenth chapter. Please mark anything else that might be related to other, future books.

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 38 comments This actually did seem to pick up a bit from the last book. Not necessarily in actiin but it seemed easier to read. But I am noticing that so many plot points depend on people witholding information from each other - it's starting to feel like a long Three's Company episode and seems contrived.

Also, Jordan seems to have a really disturbing fascination with spanking. Tbe amount of times people either are or threatened to "have their bottom paddled" or something to that effect is just weird. It particularly struck me in this sectiin when there was reference to Gareth Bryne taking Siuan over his knee. Just kind of creeps me out.

Alex | 104 comments I don't like all the backtracking this one started out with. Redoing the battle from the Shaido point of view and going back to Egwene before Moghedien escaped seems pointless. Elaida seems kind of really crazy. I don't know what Perrin loves Faile either when she's always mad at him for no reason.

message 4: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Alex wrote: "I don't like all the backtracking this one started out with. Redoing the battle from the Shaido point of view and going back to Egwene before Moghedien escaped seems pointless. Elaida seems kind of..."

I just started reading yesterday the section of the Prologue from the Shaido PoV, so I'm not wallowing in backstory quite yet.

(view spoiler)

Evilynn | 68 comments I don't remember finding the back tracking as clunky when I read book 7-10 the first time around, but when you read them all in a row it definitely grates on your nerves...

message 6: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I'm up to chapter seven (I have two days off so I hope to catch up) and I found myself skipping entire paragraphs and having to go back and re-read a bit because I missed a key point. But when I do concentrate on reading every single word, I nod off ... zzzzz.

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) LOL
This is one hell of strange series. It's like an itch. I really don't want to carry on with the story, yet, since it is on audio and people have said it does get better I keep on persisting. But is just all so slow, it is like watching a reality show, we see and hear everything, regardless how meaningless it is.

I reckon there is about 2.5 - 3 books of story so far in this 7 book waffle.

Evilynn | 68 comments It picks up the pace a little again by Knife of Dreams, but I honestly think you could probably leave out reading Crossroads of Twilight altogether. Maybe just read a wiki-entry on it or something. :P Luckily, the draggiest books are the shortest in the series.

Alex | 104 comments Jon wrote: "I'm up to chapter seven (I have two days off so I hope to catch up) and I found myself skipping entire paragraphs and having to go back and re-read a bit because I missed a key point. But when I d..."
I get like that too sometimes. Egwene will get cut off mid sentence by three paragraphs of something completely different and then it'll pick up where she left off and you need to look back to see what was happening. I can't keep track of all these Aiel and Aes Sedai names either.

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) @ Alex you should try listening to it on audio, it is even harder to remember all the aes sadai names and who is who as there are many who are very similar. Especially now where I have speeded up the audio by 100%,, now even the cities are starting to sound like aes sadai names :)

Thanks for the heads up Evilynn, i might just do that, books 5, 6 and 7 have been a grind, so skipping more boredom might keep me interested.

Evilynn | 68 comments Well, Crossroads of Twilight is book #10, so there are a few to go yet. ;D You probably shouldn't entirely skip #9, since there's a major thing happening at the end of it.

message 12: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 408 comments Mod
I, too, have trouble keeping all the characters straight. And some have more than one name...

I would have liked a "cast of characters" list, not just the very limited "glossary/reference" in the back of the book.

message 13: by Amelia (last edited Nov 09, 2012 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments Kathi wrote: "I, too, have trouble keeping all the characters straight. And some have more than one name...

I would have liked a "cast of characters" list, not just the very limited "glossary/reference" in the ..."

Have you looked at the WOT Wiki? It has comprehensive lists of characters for each book, plus most characters have a short explanation of who they are.

Here's a link to the home page:

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning

There's more information there than you could ever hope for. Beware of spoilers though because this is where the fans have been speculating for years on what is going to happen. As long as you just look at the book you're reading, though, you should be ok.

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments I've also found this site to be very helpful:

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~karlh/cg...

message 15: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 408 comments Mod
Thanks, great references!

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments Glad to be able to help! This is one very massive world so it's nice to be able to use things like that!

Stephanie Doiron (stephaniedoiron) Two of my favorite moments in the first ten chapters were at pages 93 and 96. They both happen in the scene in the Butcher's Yard when the Aes Sedai, Aiel, Wise Ones and Asha'Men are all "butchering" Rand with suggestions and complaints.

At page 93, the Aes Sedai plead Rand to let them heal him and he agrees, but when Kiruna steps forward to heal him, Rand flings his hand behind his head without looking and tells Alanna to heal him. I loved this. Everyone's curiosity of Rand and Alanna's relationship is piqued and I can't help but wonder what this bond will bring in the future... I also found Alanna's worrying over Rand and his refusal to acknowledge her to be quite interesting.

A few pages further, Rand again points to someone "at random" over his shoulder. This time, it's to choose the Asha'man who will be staying with him, at Taim's request. Again, people seem to be surprised at Rand's pick, including himself and Taim. I'm sure Dashiva will have an important role to play in upcoming chapters or books.