The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > Valentine gifts for guys

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I go through this every year. What do you get a guy for Valentine's Day? Guys, what do you want for Valentine's Day? Ladies, what ideas have you tried that your husband/boyfriend really liked or appreciated?

Here are some old ideas of mine, in case they may help someone else:

- a tin of his favorite cookies
- a poem
- one rose
- a terrific meal, something special, with homemade dessert
- a mix CD, or a classical CD for lovers

Also, my husband is really practical. He's also a romantic, and we used to write poetry to each other for years, so that's why a poem can work, but I'd like to do something completely different this year.

Any thoughts?

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I usually make my husband a couple of pounds of fudge. I might also buy him some pistachios, depending on the price at the time. If they are expensive right then, I know he probably wont buy them for himself, so that's the perfect time to get them FOR him. I don't why Valentine's always seems to be associated with snacks or edible treats, but it certainly does in our house!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) A new car? Maybe a matchbox car. Or a model car.

But I want it to be something romantic, yet not too girly. Just the right blend of something useful and something romantic.

He's too ticklish for massages. That's a good idea, though.

message 4: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Initiate sex...Or buy him a rifle. Thats what my husband is getting. The gun anyway...lol

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) LOL Ann! I guess you haven't read my comments in the O thread

;)

If I bought him a gun, he may want to use it on himself, or perhaps his pre-meno. wife or beyochy daughter. Which brings us back to why he'd want to use it on himself!

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm not a fan of massages either. Maybe you could buy some very ahem "feminine" lingerie and wrap that up with a note telling him what you could do while wearing it?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Goin right to my strong suit, huh Kandice???

:)

LOL

I think he already placed a Victoria's order, so...

I need something really different. He goes to lots of trouble to make Valentine's special, and I think it is more of a holiday where the woman is acknowledged, but I want to do something really different for him. But yet something that won't take lots of time, due to my busy season....

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) LOL Fiona !!

Or perhaps a Scottish accent?

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I'm actually not a red fan or a skirts on guys fan, but you are so funny!

message 10: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Victoria's! Ha what tame stuff. Fredericks of Hollywood is where the, ahem, naughtiness is at.

Oh I got it! Give your husband/lover a Karma Sutra book with a sexy personalized inscription, and the promise of trying out some new moves.

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice But, dear Laura, I think we are all aware you ARE a skirts OFF guys fan!!! As well as everything else! What about that edible body powder, spray, whatever stuff. A night in a hotel? You could pack a romantic "picnic" dinner, wine, hole up from chek-in until check-out?

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments I figured it wouldn't take too long before this thread escalated to what it has. Awesome.

Speaking of which, I bought this for my husband: 101 Nights of Grrreat Sex.

message 13: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 53 comments this year i got him a movie he loves and some chocolates! and im taking him out for breakfast! (hes working evenings this week.) hopefully a romantic morning before my son wakes lol....

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Food or tickets to a Basketball game.

message 15: by Andra (new)

Andra (aezadnik) Cook him dinner in nothing but an apron.

I doubt you'll finish the dinner. But, when you do you can cook with one another. Make sure you have enough aprons.

And my boyfriend loves those little Necco candy message hearts, so he's getting those too.

message 16: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10121 comments Mod
my hubby and I did the simple Lunch and a Movie for Valentines (we had our date early because I have to work Saturday!)

message 17: by Jackie (last edited Feb 12, 2009 06:05AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) A digital picture frame filled with pictures of you modeling his lingerie. Make it more exciting for him by letting him take the pictures.

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I am not bothering with Valentine but ebcause jsut on that day I got together with my boyfriend we do celebrate.

Most of the times I buy him for sure something that has to do with chocolate. To eat or shower gel with the smell.... Capuccino for breakfast, on bed or in the centre.
For this year it will be something like this: have a breakfast in the centre, go for our first walk at Dublin beach or a trip to Howth. I have been told it is nice there. It looks like detached from Dublin but it isn't (check on google eart if you are curious, west of dublin) and then a late lunch in an irish pub where we went once and it was when we came to check out Dublin before deciding to move there or edinburgh. We loved it there, so going back. and then maybe some walking around in the centre.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks everyone for all the ideas, believe it or not I am looking for the non-sexy ideas, because I have a pretty good imagination for that stuff. It's the regular stuff I'm looking for assistance with

;)

Does everyone buy something for their husband/boyfriend for Valentine's? I figure lots of wives probably don't "buy" anything if you get my drift. But I really want to do both, so...and the tamer ideas please, if anyone has any others.

Thanks for your help with this everyone!

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I love these Fiona !! I never even heard of an electric wine bottle de-corker. That's a great one.

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Laura wrote: "I love these Fiona !! I never even heard of an electric wine bottle de-corker. That's a great one."

Luara for presents I always try to give him those things that I know he adores like chocolate, instant cappucino (Nestle has one that comes well enough for an Italian), a nice special shower gel but wouldn't spend too much money on himself or I give him a breakfast out the house and make it a day out.

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Every year I get my boyfriend a new Mets hat as Spring Training starts soon - which I am reminded of again and again. Other than that, just your standard, chocolate and a card.

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments At Lush they have stuff with chocolate smell...

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I saw that chocolate stuff. I like chocolate, of ocurse, but I don't think I would like chocolate scented things.

I bet you ate paste as a little one too;)

JG (Introverted Reader) I hate buying my hubby Valentine's gifts. He always says that I don't have to buy him anything, that Valentine's is more for women, but I would feel guilty if I didn't get him something.

We usually go away for a long weekend over Valentine's. We've also done a couples massage. That was very nice. This year I've got him a gift card to a ski place because that's what he's asked me for repeatedly. I also found a book at Hallmark that was called something like "Fun Ideas for Couples" that has ideas to sort of break you out of your routine. I found him a leather jacket one year when a leather store was going out of business. He loves CDs and movies, so I know he's gotten lots of those over the years. Last year all he got was a handmade card because I was sick in bed with the flu! That was a romantic Valentine's Day! And now I'm in bed recovering from a stomach bug! I hope I'm all the way better before we're supposed to head out of town tomorrow!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I hope so too, JG! Hope you have fun!

Heather - I know exactly what you mean, because when my daughter was younger, and even now, I find that time alone together just doing something simple - even watching a movie we both enjoy - is really nice when you can be alone to do it!

Lots of good ideas everyone - thanks!

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I think I'm gonna take Fiona's make a puzzle idea because we both love puzzles.

I'm also probably going to write a poem, pick up one rose, and make a special dinner.

I like the puzzle one because neither of us has ever done that. Just gotta come up w/the perfect words!

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks you too! Parents of young kids especially deserve it. Altho the teen yrs. can getcha too - you just have more time to yourself to recover tho!!

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Yup. Next step - moving into a dorm room. Different joys, different worries, just different. But still a challenge.

message 30: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments JG wrote: "I hate buying my hubby Valentine's gifts. He always says that I don't have to buy him anything, that Valentine's is more for women, but I would feel guilty if I didn't get him something.

We usual..."

JG, lets fight it together and be both okay for tomorrow!!!!

message 31: by Hayes (last edited Feb 13, 2009 11:16AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Talking tie.

Fiona, what on earth is a talking tie! Or maybe I don't really want to know... ;)

I was looking for something special, but he doesn't wear jewelry, I don't understand his taste in music (in the sense that I couldn't choose anything he'd like - various flavors of jazz), so I'm gonna go for the chocs and call it quits.

message 32: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments maybe just not trying to find presents but spend the day together in a different way than normally....

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ha ha! It would be like a spy tie! Or a tie with a hidden camera in it. If it was really small, you would probably just get pictures of the chest of the person you were talking to. Well, if it was a woman...

message 34: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 12:08PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) My husband has to study all weekend, so we're just going out for lunch tomorrow (lines at dinnertime on Valentines are INSANE), and then I'm going to do the dishes (which is what he wants, because they've been sitting in the sink for a WHILE now...). And sex, of course, but I figure that's a given, since we're married and all.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Ha Sara - some would say it's a given for NO sex if you're married! That's why they avoid marriage!

:)

message 36: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Laura wrote: "Ha Sara - some would say it's a given for NO sex if you're married! That's why they avoid marriage! :)"

True--I've heard that. That's so sad for them! Well, then, we'll have sex, too, even though we're married.

(That's so funny, because I'm very old-fashioned (read: religious), and my first time (and my hubby's) was our wedding night. So to have people say, "I can't get married, because then sex will stop" is soooo bass-ackwards to me!)

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to read: Bass Ackwards and Belly Up... :) I don't know what it's about, but I always see it in the YA section and think the title is funny.

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments This sounds sort of strange, but I want to give my dad a Valentine's Day present.

I would like to let him know that he's an ass without actually getting in trouble for it.

Any ideas?

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice A roll of pink toilet paper?

message 39: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I wanted to give my sister a valentine present to show her that I love her and miss her..... maybe some aviation books on amazon......at least I am buying books but not for me...

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz For both Jeane and Emma, I recommend gift cards! Although I'm not getting my dad anything (we're seprated by an ocean, shipping would cost too much!) I got him a gift certificate to one of his favorite cooking stores for his birthday so he got himself a really nice lettuce dryer.
I like everyone's ideas for what to get their parnters! My boyfriend and I have been together about 3.5 months, and I got him a hoodie for the university we're both at, because I know he's been wanting one but would probably never actually purchase one for himself!

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) GEmma, that's a good idea, but I'm having trouble coming up with something. I like the donkey idea. A stuffed donkey w/b good, but where are you going to find one? Except maybe online. How about a little stuffed devil? They have them sometimes around Valentine's Day.

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I like the donkey idea...

muahaha.

message 43: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Liz wrote: "For both Jeane and Emma, I recommend gift cards! Although I'm not getting my dad anything (we're seprated by an ocean, shipping would cost too much!) I got him a gift certificate to one of his fav..."

Liz most of the time I buy something with chocolate and for he rest just plan a day out. In the end I felt better but not 100% okay so did a midway of what I had planned. We did go to the centre in the morning and we had breakfast at our favourite place. Me a njamie carote cake piece (ithink besides that and tea I haven't consumed anthing else besides that, my boyfriend also takes the same always) and my boyfriend a capuccino and a chocolate cake piece with the chocolate almost dripping of it. Then we walked towards the sea. It was really nice and we liked are first experience of Dublin sea. We need to go more because we don't manage to link the sea and Dublin. After a couple of hours we were back in the centre and went to our favourite (and only experienced one in dublin) where we had a late lunch and I ate a delicious salmon meal. Then we walked in the centre, went in some shops and i bought him Belgian pralines that I promised him if I would find a job. Later in the evening we ate a lasagna that you put in the oven or microwave while we were watching a Beppe Grillo show.

It is more a spending the day in a different way outside the house kind of thing I try to do.

message 44: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments Someone on Twitter wrote that the new word for men's underwear is "manties." Okay, I don't think hubby will EVER refer to his shorts as "manties". !

message 45: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) "Manties"?????? *snorts* That's FABULOUS.

message 46: by Liz (new)

Liz Jeane, that sounds really nice. We planned on going to Eden Project but sadly had to spend the actual day Saturday doing reading for classes, so I went out with my guy in the evening.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I'm glad you're feeling better Jeane! I take 1000mg of Vit. C w/every meal, esp. when I'm feeling sick. It keeps the germs away too.

message 48: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I bought my boyfriend some legal thriller books from Borders, like the good little bookworm girlfriend that I am.

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Rebbie wrote: "Someone on Twitter wrote that the new word for men's underwear is "manties." Okay, I don't think hubby will EVER refer to his shorts as "manties". !"

I think my boyfriend would be offended if I ever refered to his underwear as "manties". hahaha!

JG (Introverted Reader) I'm sorry you were sick too, Jeane, but I'm glad you're feeling better.

We had a nice weekend away. It was nice to leave the computer/tv/his homework behind and just reconnect over the weekend.

Manties! I love it! When I'm sort of resenting the whole laundry routine, I tell my hubby that I hope he appreciates the fact that I wash his *ahem* "dirty ass-rags," and the first time I said it, you should have seen the look on his face! I can't wait to throw "manties" at him! He'll die!

« previous 1