Webcomic Wonderland discussion

The Abominable Charles Christopher, Vol. 1
Webcomic Discussions > October-The Abominable Charles Christopher***NO SPOILERS***

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristen | 1179 comments Discuss The Abominable Charles Christopher here.

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
This was a very uneven read for me. The art is great and I really loved the more serious main plotlines and characters (Charles, Vivol and Moon Bear, Luga, Gilgamesh) and both the humor and drama that arose from them.

But the pacing drove me a little nuts. I didn't like the secondary humor strips (drunk bad husband bird, Cedar Forest Players, the shrink, etc) nearly as much as the above stuff so lost some interest whenever it switched over.

Which was quite often. I was a little puzzled then I noticed several author's comments like: "I think we can all agree it was time to lighten things up a bit. Four straight weeks of sorrow was taking its toll on my mental health." I completely understand and don't blame him one bit. I wouldn't want him to do it any other way - it's obvious he puts a lot into this comic. That needs to be balanced and appreciated, and he should approach his comic however he needs to.

But it's a weekly strip, which that means every time the plot got heavy it went no more than three-four pages before interjected humor and sidetracking. Again, perfectly understandable given why, but purely from a reader's perspective I found it very jarring.

So a mixed bag for me, but the good is so great I will definitely keep reading.

Kristen | 1179 comments I have to agree with you. I also prefer the strips that are more serious. I especially like the Vivol and Moon Bear arc.

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "I have to agree with you. I also prefer the strips that are more serious. I especially like the Vivol and Moon Bear arc."

That arc is incredible.