The Book Challenge discussion

finished challenges > Eric's 2008 + 2009 Book Challenges

Comments (showing 51-92 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Eric (last edited Mar 29, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 10 of 2009
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
J.K. Rowlings

Started: March 18, 2009
Finished: March 29, 2009

What can I say? This was yet another great Harry Potter book and a great conclusion to the series. Going into the series, I did not think I would care for it. In the end, the whole series caught me off guard and grabbed me from beginning to end. J.K. Rowling did a great job of engaging the reader, even if fantasy in not your first choice in genre. I, recommend, everyone to read the series and enjoy it as I did; this book included!

message 52: by Eric (last edited May 10, 2009 10:20AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 11a of 2009
The Dark Tower The Long Road Home by Stephen Adapted By David,Peter and Furth,Robin King
The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home
Peter David

Started: March 18, 2009
Finished: March 21, 2009

The story is good and seems faithful to the original books other than, the creator took the story and put it in order. I don't like the art style at all, but this is still a good read.

Book 11b of 2009
Bone Volume 1 Out From Boneville by Jeff Smith
Bone: Volume 1: Out From Boneville
Jeff Smith

Started: March 21, 2009
Finished: March 25, 2009

A fun little graphic novel. I liked the story and really liked the art and I look forward to reading on in the series.

Book 11c of 2009
Bone Volume 2 The Great Cow Race by Jeff Smith
Bone: Volume 2: The Great Cow Race
Jeff Smith

Started: March 21, 2009

I really am enjoying these books so far. This one was not as good as the first one but still an enjoyable read. I really like the art and the humor is up my alley as well. Fone Bone is a very likable character and I look forward to continuing the series.

(I combined all these books together because they were so short.)

message 53: by Eric (last edited May 10, 2009 10:13AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 12a of 2009
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter: The Tales of Beedle the Bard
J.K. Rowlings

Started: March 29, 2009

After coming off of the great story work in Harry Potter, I was very disappointed with this book. This is, essentially, a collection of fairy tales from the Harry Potter world and they all seemed rushed and poorly written. The commentary from Dumbledore seemed to drag on and on and was clearly filler to make the book longer. Lastly, there were only about 5 very short stories/fairy tales in the book making the 13 dollar price tag a bit outrageous.

Book 12b of 2009
Summer of Love (Book Three Liberty Meadows) (Liberty Meadows (Graphic Novels)) by Frank Cho
Liberty Meadows: Summer of Love
Frank Cho

Started: March 28, 2009
Finished: March 31, 2009

I've always been a fan of Liberty Meadows and this volume did not let me down. The strips are funny and sarcastic and they hit my funny bone every time.

(I combined these together as one book because they are so short.)

message 54: by Eric (last edited Apr 21, 2009 06:59AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 13 and 14 of 2009
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
---13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
---14. The Restaurant and the End of the Universe
Douglas Adams

Started: March 29, 2009
Finished: April 14, 2009

This book is a collection of the 5 Hitchhiker's Guide books. I read the first two of the five books and enjoyed them a lot. They were good enough that I plan to read the other three as well. I found the first two books to be super funny but, both books are definitely lacking in plot.

message 55: by Eric (last edited Apr 20, 2009 11:31AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 15 of 2009
Watchmen by Alan Moore
Watchmen
Alan Moore

Started: April 2, 2009
Finished: April 20, 2009

I don't know what to say. Everyone loves this novel. Reviewers, critics, comic lovers, casual readers all seem to love this book. I, just, didn't get it. Hate me or not, I just found this to be wordy and drawn out and I barely dragged through reading it. I did not like Watchmen.

message 56: by Eric (last edited Apr 21, 2009 07:04AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 16 of 2009
Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Book 1) by Jeff Lindsay
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Jeff Lindsay

Started: April 14, 2009
Finished: April 20, 2009

After hearing that a bunch of people like the show but did not like the book, I was skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised. The book moved quickly and the character really has some charm to him. I was always interested in what was gonna happen next, although it was a bit predictable. I look forward to continuing the series.

message 57: by Eric (last edited Apr 30, 2009 09:13AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 17 of 2009
Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Everything is Illuminated
Jonathan Safron Foer

Started: April 21, 2009
Finished: April 30, 2009

Although the book had descriptive serious and/or entertaining events that were great to read, the parts around these event were huge and very boring. Essentially the book is 3 stories that are spread throughout the book. Story 1 was horrible to read; Story 2 was so-so; Story 3 was just OK to read. Unfortunately, to get Story 3 you have to drag through the other two stories as they come. ...To sum this up, I Hated this Book.

message 58: by Eric (last edited May 05, 2009 08:31AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 18 of 2009
Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk
Snuff
Chuck Palahniuk

Started: April 25, 2009
Finished: May 4, 2009

An interesting little book. A strange combination of true facts, humor, and drama wrapped around a story of a snuff film in progress.

message 59: by Eric (last edited May 27, 2009 05:41AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 19 of 2009
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
People of the Book
Geraldine Brooks

Started: May 1, 2009
Finished: May 26,2009

I was torn as to what I should give this book because it has more ups and downs than a rollercoaster. On one hand, I hated the main character and some of the side stories about the book. On the other hand, some of the history of the book and most of the main story were pretty interesting. So, I guess, 3 stars it is.

message 60: by Eric (last edited May 12, 2009 08:01AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 20a of 2009
Bone Volume 3 Eyes of the Storm by Jeff Smith
Bone: Volume 3 Eyes of the Storm
Jeff Smith

Started: April 28, 2009
Finished: May 2, 2009

It's a fun, light-hearted series. I really look forward to continuing on with it.

Book 20b of 2009
[image error]
Dark Tower: Treachery
Robin Furth

Started: May 2, 2009
Finished: May 6, 2009

Hmm...as the third book in the series, it is the best so far. The first two while entertaining and fairly faithful to the books were a little wordy and drawn out to me. Now that things are starting to happen the pace is picking up and has me hooked in all over again. I look forward to the next collection. But...I still do and always will hate the artwork in this series.

Book 20c of 2009
Bone Volume 4 The Dragonslayer by Jeff Smith
Bone: Volume 4 The Dragonslayer
Jeff Smith

Started: May 6, 2009
Finished: May 10, 2009

Another great volume. The series really starts to pick up here.

(I combined these all together as one book because they are so short.)

message 61: by Eric (last edited May 22, 2009 05:50AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 21a of 2009
Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine
Summer Blonde
Adrian Tomine

Started: May 11, 2009
Finished: May 15, 2009

This is a very interesting little book containing 4 short stories. Each story is a sliver in 4 different peoples lives with thing happening to the people before the stories begin and after the stories end. It can be a little jarring to jump abruptly into each story only to have it end just as abruptly in the middle of the climax or even before the climax. Although abrupt, this method does invoke your imagination to finish the story and, in a way, I found it refreshing. Each story are very much real life stories, dealing with love, depression, and fitting in and kind of brought me back to high school. Esquire magazine claimed this book was one of the Top 20 must read graphic novels. I don't think I would go as far as to back that up, but if you have a minute and a few extra bucks, go ahead and check this one out.

Book 21b of 2009
Bone Volume 5 Rock Jaw, Master of the Eastern Border by Jeff Smith
Bone: Volume 5 Rock Jaw
Jeff Smith

Started: May 18, 2009
Finished: May 21, 2009

If you are reading this review, you probably have read the previous 4 books and don't need me to tell you the reasons to read this one.

(I combined these two books together because they are so short. I felt like I would be cheating my goal for the year.)

message 62: by Eric (last edited Jun 08, 2009 07:59PM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 22 of 2009
Vox by Nicholson Baker
Vox
Nicholson Baker

Started: May 25
Finished: June 8, 2009

Vox was a very interesting book. It follows an anonymous phone conversation between a man and a woman as they discuss life, sex, and much more. The book has adult situations but is not necessarily focused on them, which was strange and refreshing. The conversation between the two characters was so real, so thought out, I could swear it was an actual transcribed conversation (maybe it is?) It really held my interest to see what they would say next and it's worth a read.

message 63: by Eric (last edited Jun 01, 2009 07:09AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 23 of 2009
[image error]
Zombie Blondes
Brian James

Started: May 27
Finished: May 31

This was an interesting book. I liked it so-so. It was very very targeted at teens/young adults with themes running through the book of school popularity and drama with jocks, nerds, preps, whatever. The build-up to the climax was, literally, 7/8th of the book with the final 1/8th of the book going really fast. Too fast, I think. It felt like the author got sick of writing at right about the climax and seemed to really rush the end. The end was very cliched, and very quick and not very detailed, which is very unlike the first half of the book which was very drawn out and precise.

message 64: by Eric (last edited Jun 22, 2009 07:38AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 24 of 2009
Patient Zero A Joe Ledger Novel by Jonathan Maberry
Patient Zero
Jonathan Maberry

Started: June 1, 2009
Finished: June 21, 2009

Not a bad book. Overall, the book was fun to read zombie survival thriller. The character was fighting an outbreak of a virus that caused people to turn to zombies and frequently was about the containment and extermination of the zombies to prevent outbreak into the US. At times the book was too descriptive, at times the author was a bit wordy, at times the author was a bit too focused on techniques and tactics, but at times this book was very fun and very fast paced and action packed. If you like zombies, I'd check this one out for sure.

message 65: by Eric (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 25 of 2009
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Jeff Kinney

Started: June 5, 2009
Finished: June 20, 2009

This was a cute little book, in the form of a diary, about a boy and his happenings through life and school. My daughter read it, and for some reason the little parts that I read over her shoulder pulled at me and I had to read it too. In the end, it is a fun, light, light hearted romp through 1 year of this kids middle school years. Don't run out and buy it but if your child has it laying around, grab it up and read it.

message 66: by Eric (last edited Jun 28, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 26 of 2009
Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, Book 5) by J.A. Konrath
Fuzzy Navel
J.A. Konrath

Started: June 22, 2009
Finished: June 26, 2009

Another great action-packed, funny, mystery novel following Jack Daniels and her friends. This one was a super fast read with a great ending.

message 67: by Eric (last edited Jun 28, 2009 07:58AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 27 of 2009
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning
Lemony Snicket

Started: June 22, 2009
Finished: June 26, 2009

I was a little leary going into this book, but I quickly fell in love with the concept and the writing style and look forward to reading on in the series. The kids in the book and all their unfortunate events easily capture your heart and it is hard not to want to know what happens to them.

message 68: by Eric (last edited Jul 10, 2009 02:55PM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 28 of 2009
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) by Rick Riordan
The Sea of Monsters
Rick Riordan

Started: June 27, 2009
Finished: July 9, 2009

After reading the first book in the series, I was conflicted. I really enjoyed parts of it, especially all of the mythology and mythological characters sprinkled through the book. But, there were things that I didn't like, as well. This being, mainly, the authors writing style and the main characters personality and such.

I was very torn as to whether I should continue with the series and decided to read the second book in the series (this one) to get a better feel and sway me to one side or the other. After reading this book, I still remain conflicted. Very much like the first one, I feel this book is scattered with good and bad. I guess, after much contemplation, I will continue on with the series, but it, definitely, won't call it the greatest series I have ever read or anything.

message 69: by Eric (last edited Jul 14, 2009 11:39AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 29 of 2009
Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Crank
Ellen Hopkins

Started: June 27, 2009
Finished: July 14, 2009

Just not my type of book. The creative word layouts seemed pointless and give the impression of being poetic when they are not. The book drolls on and on and the ending makes reading the first half of the book seem pointless.

message 70: by Eric (last edited Jul 12, 2009 07:33AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 30 of 2009
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Coraline
Neil Gaiman

Started: July 9, 2009
Finished: July 11, 2009

I liked this book quite a bit. I would never read it to my children for I think it would scare them silly, but I enjoyed it for sure. It is just an excellent and very creepy book. Coraline is an excellent main character and handles herself under pressure, and the antagonist and all that they do is just darn creepy.

message 71: by Eric (last edited Jul 20, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 31 of 2009
Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2) by Jeff Lindsay
Dearly Devoted Dexter
Jeff Lindsay

Started: July 12, 2009
Finished: July 19, 2009

Another excellent book in the Dexter series, but not quite as good as the first one. I hope the series recovers in the third one. Overall, still a wonderful book, though and a great series to get into.

message 72: by Eric (last edited Jul 20, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 32 of 2009
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Jeff Kinney

Started: July 17, 2009
Finished: July 20, 2009

This is a fun, cute little series that is a lot of fun to read. Both my kids and I think this Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is funny and great for the whole family. Definitely pick it up, if you have kids, and read it for yourself before turning it over to them.

message 73: by Eric (last edited Sep 01, 2009 06:48AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 33 of 2009
The Living Dead by John Joseph Adams
The Living Dead
John Joseph Adams

Started:July 20, 2009
Finished:August 31, 2009

I really really really wanted to like this collection of short stories. I mean, I really wanted to. I love zombies and zombie stories and movies but, in the end I only found a few to be enjoyable and the rest to be mediocre or just plain boring. A couple of the stories such as "Almost the Last Story by Almost the Last Man" and "This Year's Class Picture" are definitely worth checking out but, they are so few and far between that it would be hard to justify a purchase.....even if you are a zombie lover like me.

message 74: by Eric (last edited Jul 25, 2009 09:55AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 34a of 2009
Old Man's Cave (Bone) by Jeff Smith
Bone Volume 6: Old Man's Cave
Jeff Smith

Finished:July 24, 2009

The plot is really picking up here. A lot of key points have been unveiled in this one and I am very curious about how things are going to play out.

Book 34b of 2009
[image error]
Bone Volume 7: Ghost Circles

Finished:July 24, 2009

This volume was action packed and really had me worried about the characters as the climax draws nearer. As plot unfolds now, things are getting a little weird but enjoyable all the same.

(I combined these two books together because they are so short. I felt like I would be cheating my goal for the year.)

message 75: by Eric (last edited Aug 01, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 35 of 2009
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 2) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Reptile Room
Lemony Snicket

Started: July 25, 2009
Finished: July 30, 2009

I really enjoy this series so far and can't wait to read on.

message 76: by Eric (last edited Aug 08, 2009 11:58PM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 36 of 2009
The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 3) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Wide Window
Lemony Snicket

Started: July 31, 2009
Finished: August 8, 2009

This is yet another great book in the Lemony Snicket series. I really enjoy them and look forward to reading on. It's a great series for kids or to read to your kids.

message 77: by Eric (last edited Aug 14, 2009 09:05AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 37a of 2009
Bone Volume 8 Treasure Hunters by Jeff Smith
Bone Volume 8: Treasure Hunters
Jeff Smith

Started: August 8, 2009
Finished: August 11, 2009

Getting close to the end of the series with this one. The action picks up here and the book leaves you yearning to read the next and final book in the series.

Book 37b of 2009
Bone Volume 9 Crown of Horns (Bone (Paperback)) by Jeff Smith
Bone Volume 9: Crown of Horns
Jeff Smith

Started:
Finished: August 12, 2009

Overall this series was pretty enjoyable. A couple of the books seemed to draw the series longer than it needed to be and the ending (this book) I found to be rather anti-climactic.

message 78: by Eric (last edited Aug 24, 2009 08:47AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 38 of 2009
The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Miserable Mill
Lemony Snicket

Started: August 14, 2009
Finished: August 20, 2009

A good if not repetitive series to get into with your kids.

message 79: by Eric (last edited Sep 16, 2009 09:03AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 39 of 2009
The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 5) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Austere Acadamy
Lemony Snicket

Started: August 21, 2009
Finished: September 5, 2009

message 80: by Eric (last edited Sep 16, 2009 09:03AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 40 of 2009
A Simple Plan by Scott Smith
A Simple Plan
Scott Smith

Started: September 1, 2009
Finished: September 14, 2009

I extremely enjoyed this book. I found the plot to be very fast paced and it kept me turning pages. It is rare that I give a book 5 stars, but I definitely give 5 stars to this one. Great book!

message 81: by Eric (new)

Eric | 94 comments Well, I did it! I made my goal of 40 books for the year. I didn't make it last year but it is only September of this year so we'll see how many extra I can read.

message 82: by Eric (last edited Oct 30, 2009 08:48AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 41 of 2009
The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 6) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Ersatz Elevator
Lemony Snicket

Started: September 6, 2009
Finished: October 30, 2009

This is book 6 in the series, and although I have enjoyed the series so far, this one disappointed me. The author stretched my imagination too far with what the main characters are able to do and the plot was a stretch as well. I will continue on in the series but this book was a letdown.

message 83: by Eric (last edited Oct 05, 2009 09:19AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 42 of 2009
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart
Earth Abides
George R. Stewart

Started: September 16, 2009
Finished: October 3, 2009

This was a pretty good book. It was a very analytical, very sociological look at the end of the world. I enjoyed it. The main character was likable and the plot was enjoyable.

message 84: by Eric (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 43 of 2009
Diary of a Wimpy Kid The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #3) by Jeff Kinney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw
Jeff Kinney

Started:September 30, 2009
Finished:October 3, 2009

A good series of books for children. A nice mix of real life with humor and good fun. My kids love em and I think they are pretty fun too. This book is no exception.

message 85: by Eric (last edited Oct 11, 2009 08:48AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 44 of 2009
Hannah's Dream A Novel by Diane Hammond
Hannah's Dream
Diane Hammond

Started: October 4, 2009
Finished: October 10, 2009

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The story was very heartwarming at times and sad at times. It was a easy read as well that flowed quickly off the pages. The one thing I didn't like is that the characters always seemed to have the solutions to their problems but never knew it. They never had to work at anything in the end.

message 86: by Eric (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 45 of 2009
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
High Fidelity
Nick Hornby

Started:October 11, 2009
Finished:October 21, 2009

I, absolutely, loved this book. I found the plot to be enjoyable and the humor to be witty and funny. A great book. It is rare that I keep a book to read again sometime, but I am going to with this one.

message 87: by Eric (last edited Nov 03, 2009 08:07AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 46 of 2009
Little Children, Film-Tie-In by Tom Perrotta
Little Children
Tom Perotta

Started: October 21, 2009
Finished: November 2, 2009

This was an excellent book. The story was quick and easy flowing and they characters were very enjoyable to read about. The plot made for a good story but was just realistic enough to make you feel like it could happen anywhere/anytime. The emotions of the characters were very well expressed making you feel for them/against them extremely well. My only qualm is in the ending. It seemed a little abrupt and left me hanging for a bit more.

message 88: by Eric (last edited Nov 10, 2009 11:01PM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 47 of 2009
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan
The Titan's Curse
Rick Riordan

Started: November 3, 2009
Finished: November 10, 2009

I really enjoyed this book. The plot is really picking up here and kept me turning the pages. There were a few inconsistencies that bugged me a bit but still a good addition to a series that I have been so-so about.

message 89: by Eric (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 48 of 2009
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days by Jeff Kinney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Jeff Kinney

Started: November 5, 2009
November 9, 2009

These are just great, fun children's books that are funny and light-hearted. I recommend them for kids and adults alike.

message 90: by Eric (last edited Dec 12, 2009 07:09AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 49 of 2009
[image error]
Under The Dome: A Novel
Stephen King

Started: November 10, 2009
Finished: December 11, 2009

King did a great job with this book. It contains a huge cast of characters that could be impossible to manage for a lesser author but he manages to keep it all organized quite well. I noticed that the writing seems to change a little bit when he is talking about each person to fit that character. I found that to be a very nice touch. The story progresses well and kept me engaged. Typical of King's stories, things do a get a little weird at the end. But, this book keeps it under wraps fairly well and doesn't take it way out there like some of his others (IT). I recommend it. It was a good, strong, well-written story.

message 91: by Eric (last edited Dec 28, 2009 09:44AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 50 of 2009
This Boy's Life A Memoir by Tobias Wolff
This Boy's Life: A Memoir
Tobias Wolff

Started: December 11, 2009
Finished: December 27, 2009

A fun and sometimes sad look into the life of the author. It was a good story, not great but worth a read.

message 92: by Eric (last edited Dec 12, 2009 07:16AM) (new)

Eric | 94 comments Book 51 of 2009
Bowling Alone The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert D. Putnam
Bowling Along: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
Robert D. Putnam

Started: November 6, 2009
Finished:In progress...

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shack (other topics)
The Communist Manifesto (other topics)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (other topics)
Stuff White People Like: A Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions (other topics)
The Dangerous Days of Daniel X (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Paul Young (other topics)
Cormac McCarthy (other topics)
J.K. Rowling (other topics)
Christian Lander (other topics)
James Patterson (other topics)
More...