Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Vampire Romance Novels

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 3 comments I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good vampire romance novels that aren't full of erotica.
I've read the night world series, morganville vampire series and the house of night series.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) Aren't full of erotica - meaning no sex?

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Try the Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz. Sort of a Gossip Girl meets vampire. In order they are, Blue Bloods, Masquerade, then Revelations.

For fey romance with some vamp and werewolf characters, try Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. In order, they are, City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass (due out early March).

For something a bit different, try Meg Cabot's Mediator series. Think teen ghost whisperer. Great romance there with lots of laughs and cute mysteries. There are six of those: Shadowland, Ninth Key, Reunion, Darkest Hour, Haunted, and Twilight.

Another good series is by Colleen Gleason called The Gardella Vampire Chronicles. Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer in 1800's London and Paris. Good romance with less emphasis on the physical romance because of the era. There are five in that series: The Rest Falls Away, Rises the Night, The Bleeding Dusk, When Twilight Burns, and the final one due out soon is As Shadows Fade.

Julie Kenner has a two book series about a girl in high school turned vamp. They were cute, but not great. Good Ghoul's Guide to Getting Even and Good Ghouls Do are the titles.

message 4: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (JessiM) JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series is very good. Although it does have some sex in them.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 146 comments Ya if she doesnt want sex then the Black Dagger is a no no hehe

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) Jessi, "some sex" in BDB? Heh. Try a LOT of sex and descriptive sex at that. :)

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 97 comments I'd suggest more, but I'm not entirely sure what your definition of erotica is. There are a lot of books with sex in them that I wouldn't consider erotica. For now I'm taking it to mean no sex, or scenes like those in the Twilight series.

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead is very good, although I don't know if they would technically be romance {still very good books}. I believe there's one scene, but it's not explicit at all.

If you liked Night World, the same author wrote The Vampire Diaries series.

And there's, of course, the Twilight series.

message 8: by Karmon (new)

Karmon | 2 comments Check out Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer series. Sexual tension but not much more.

message 9: by CaliGirlRae (last edited Feb 11, 2009 09:14PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) It can be a bit hard to find vampire romance novels outside of the erotica genre but they're definitely out there. There's some goodies listed above.

I also suggest the Valorian Chronicles by Vivi Anna. They're full of paranormal goodies about a CSI type of group investigating murders inside of their city Necropolis. The head of the team is a vampire and his story is showcased in Blood Son. I highly suggest reading the whole series because each story is awesome. There's more to come from this same author in April called The Vampire's Quest. These are pretty action packed and sensual.

Marta Acosta also has a vampire trilogy that lies more on the humorous side called the Casa Dracula novels.

If you like YA, there's also Terry Lee Wilde's The Vampire in my Dreams.

Not sure if you're into ebooks but Barbara J. Hancock's Hunger, a vampire romance, debuts in March. And my recent release, A Kiss of Ashen Twilight, features a vampire and fairy as the hero and heroine. Both are very sensual.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments Given that she listed the Morganville Vmapires and House of Night series, I would definitely second the recommendation for Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books. I just read the series this past week and loved it! And, of course, there's always the Twilight series.

Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Parks series has vamps and no sex.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 216 comments Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series is more about Dresden who is a Wizard Private Investigator in Chicago than vampires, but vampires do play a major roll in the books.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2658 comments Mod
What about the Dark Ones novels of Katie Maxwell (aka Katie MacAlister)? They aren't too explicit. There is also her 2 "young adults" novels with a Dark One as the love interest. (One is Circus of the Darned, can't remember the other title off the top of my head, sorry) There is NO sex in those 2. And the Argeneau Vampires of Lyndsay Sands. Again, there is some, but not a lot. Of course, if I'm too into the story to want to read the sex scenes, I just skip them and get back to the story.

And I don't know if you would classify Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series as PNR? There is some romance, but they seem to me to be more mystery/adventure with some PN elements. There are a LOT of vamps in this series. And do NOT base your views of the series on the HBO series that they made. That has a LOT more sex (and has some seriously messed up characters who have been radically changed from the books) than the books. OF course, we ARE talking Cable Movie Channel which always equals lots of explicit sex, even when there isn't any in whatever they are making into a movie/tv show.

Even tho Harry Dresden isn't a vamp romance story per se, I'd still recommend it. The first book (Storm Front) is a little slow getting started because that is the book where Jim is setting up his whole world. But you DO need to read it, simply because some of the action in it is referred to in later books.

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments I second the Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands. So many hysterically funny happenings, and though it has sex, it definitely doesn't go the erotica way (i.e. Anita Blake). It's certainly romance, but there are definitive plots and the actual sex scenes flow within the story.

I'll also second Charlaine Harris. There's not much sex in the Southern Vampire Mysteries at all. One scene per book, perhaps? And always something that moves the story along. The books focus much more on the mystery or on vamp/were politics. The series is not classified as romance, but the main character does have boyfriends/interests along the way.

Also, there's always the Queen Betsy/Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson - if you are looking for some light mystery and laughter. Again, some sex, but it's not the only focus of the book and it's not terribly explicit.

As others said, it's difficult to find a vampire novel without at least some sex.

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 3 comments by erotica i just meant i don't want heaps of graphic sex scenes
thanks for all your comments

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Hi Jamie. I just checked your profile and since you're 15 that's perfectly understandable :)

Have you read the Mortal Instruments series? The first one is City of Bones. It's more Urban Fantasy then PNR but I bet you'd really like it.

message 16: by Wendy (last edited Feb 12, 2009 06:20PM) (new)

Wendy  (wendyhill) | 88 comments Jamie wrote: "I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good vampire romance novels that aren't full of erotica.
I've read the night world series, morganville vampire series and the house of night series.
"

Jamie, I just searched for young adult paranormal and it has 2 pages of books. You could probably change it to y/a vampire romance and such to get different books as well. Good luck in your search.

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (fairnymph) | 53 comments Jamie - My favourite non-graphic vampire & romance novels:

Christopher Pike: The Last Vampire series
Charlaine Harris: Sookie Stackhouse series

and does have some sex, but not lots - Susan Squires: The Companion series

These are also the only vampire books I actually collect/keep.

message 18: by CJ (new)

CJ (Coriel) Ann wrote: "What about the Dark Ones novels of Katie Maxwell (aka Katie MacAlister)? They aren't too explicit. There is also her 2 "young adults" novels with a Dark One as the love interest ..."

The first one is Got Fangs? and the second is Circus of the Darned. I am reading the second one right now, and it is actually pretty good so far.

I also agree you should try the Sookie Stackhouse series.....it really is more like a mystery with a supernatural theme rather than a romance, but the romance element is definitely there too. Just not so focused upon, and very little sex.

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2658 comments Mod
Also, an older series (with about a bazillion books in the series) is the P.N. Elrod "Vampire Files" series. They are actually more Paranormal Mystery than romance, but the main character (a vamp) DOES have an on-going love interest.

message 20: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 1 comments There is a vampire series by Linda Lael Miller that has no erotica, but does have romance. Can't remember the title of the first one, but they were my very first vampire novels... a good 20 years ago...

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 3 comments thanks (:

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 52 comments Carolyn wrote: "There is a vampire series by Linda Lael Miller that has no erotica, but does have romance. Can't remember the title of the first one, but they were my very first vampire novels... a good 20 years ..."

Good morning- I found the list on Wikipedia:

Forever and the Night (Berkley, 1993) ISBN 0-425-14060-1
For All Eternity (Berkley, 1994) ISBN 0-425-14456-9
Time Without End (Berkley, 1995) ISBN 0-425-15042-9
Tonight and Always (Berkley, 1996) ISBN 0-425-15541-2

Anyone familiar with Wattpad?

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaW) | 157 comments I had a silly thought, and I wonder if it's ever made it into a contemporary-setting vampire novel you've read. Has anyone every mentioned out-of-the-closet vampires affecting the Red Cross blood supply?

message 24: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Anita, in Morganville the citizens have to make deposits to the local blood bank. It's considered part of their taxes, so to speak. And the Argeneaus of Lynsay Sands' series own their own blood bank for convenience. Other than those examples, I haven't read of any supply issues, and never one involving the Red Cross. Not yet, at least!

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Nothing about the Red Cross but I'v read about them owning blood banks, etc., as Michelle said.

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaW) | 157 comments I hear announcements on the news regularly that area blood banks are running critically low on supply - and that's without vampires eating a pint or two every day. I'm surprised no one has worked that into a novel as a tension point, even a minor one. Or blood banks could sell diseased blood to the vamps, if they aren't affected by human diseases. Or highly moral vamps could go out of their way to feed from diseased humans, because they don't want to affect the available blood supply. I think something like that would make a good detail in a vampire novel.

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (Cathygreytfriend) | 53 comments Lynday Sands is my favorite vampire romance author. I like that her vamps aren't dead (although the reason they are vamps is too silly) and the books are sweet, funny and romantic. With a small amount of sex. I also like Kerrelyn Sparks series about vampires, starting with How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire. Her vampires have discovered a formula for synthetic blood, sold to humans for medical needs and secretly sold to vampires to drink. It's similar to Charlaine Harris' Sookie books with the synthetic blood, but Sparks' vamps aren't out of the closet.

message 28: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Anita, in Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck, Josie makes a point of trying to only feed on the dying.

message 29: by new_user (last edited Aug 05, 2009 03:52PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I did read a series where the vampires fed on unwanted blood from blood banks only. They ran a "disposal" company for that kind of waste on the up and up. I think the taste of the less-than-perfect blood was one of the reasons the vampires preferred the less noble route, LOL. I think that might have been in Viehl's Darkyn series. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments Rosemary Laurey has a series of vampire romances that have some sex but also have a story. Kiss Me Forever/Love Me Forever, Be Mine Forever, Keep Me Forever, and Midnight Lover.

Also Elaine Bergstrom's series about the Austra family. They are out of print but are good.

message 31: by Deanne (last edited Aug 06, 2009 01:59AM) (new)

Deanne | 27 comments i'v tried Adrian Phoenix dante..it does not have much sex in it. It took the main hero and heroine up to book two to satisfy that..it was good.Dante was a vampire band singer...

message 32: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) | 501 comments i wud definately recommend the mortal instruments series i think its the best eva series