The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3857 comments Mod
Last night our local Canadian public Broadcast network, Knowledge, showed the first episode of an Australian mystery series based on Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher detective novels. I must say I was really impressed with it. It's a period piece set in Melbourne Australia, set in the '20 and '30's. Phryne Fisher is played by Essie Davis who is intelligent and sexy. She is surrounded by an excellent team to help her solve her mysteries. The first episode, Cocaine Blues, was very enjoyable. It's so great to get a new and interesting mystery series to watch. As I understand from the wiki page, it showed in Australia, starting Feb 2012 and will be on UK's Alibi network (should be a perfect fit) early 2013. I've started looking for Kerry Greenwood's books as it definitely has piqued my interest.

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2121 comments Mod
Oh dear, now I'm jealous. Any information on when these will hit the US market. I'll have to investigate.

I've read and enjoyed a few of the Phryne Fisher books and would probably really like this TV series.

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
Oh! Those will never make it to Italy... sob!

message 4: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2121 comments Mod
I couldn't find any info on a US release. I'll just have to hope PBS or BBC America picks them up. *passes tissue to Hayes*

message 5: by Dena (new)

Dena | 97 comments I just downloaded the kindle version of the book and read the first few pages with delight. I've never heard of the book or author before but I'm looking forward to a nice afternoon while I get to know them. Thanks for the tip

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 3857 comments Mod
Dena wrote: "I just downloaded the kindle version of the book and read the first few pages with delight. I've never heard of the book or author before but I'm looking forward to a nice afternoon while I get to ..."

Now I've got to find the books; I will definitely be visiting my Mystery book store my next visit to Victoria. :0)

Donna wrote: "I couldn't find any info on a US release. I'll just have to hope PBS or BBC America picks them up. *passes tissue to Hayes*"

The wiki article I read on the series doesn't mention a US release but from what the missus told me, you might find the whole series on You Tube. It would be well-suited for PBS' Mystery showcase though.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 186 comments Sorry, but I have to put a comment in these unused topics as far as I can figure out to remove them from my unread topics listing on my app. Have managed to delete them on the website but they are still unread from the app point of view. Sorry for being such a pain but no other help forthcoming in terms of getting rid of them. Katherine