Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > FLASHING ADS ARE AN INTRUSION! GOODREADS SHOULDN'T ALLOW THEM!

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments I'd like to suggest that Goodreads refuse to post ads which flash on the screen. To me that's going over the line; it's outright INTRUSION!

As an example, I just now saw an ad for _The Devil's Causeway_. It was annoying to see it flashing in the corner of my eye.

I know that it would be hard to pass a law prohibiting this type of ad but at least Goodreads should take the high road and refuse to subject its members to this type of annoyance.

Come on, aren't we above that here? Let's draw the line!

message 2: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 06, 2012 07:44AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments PS-We should refuse to buy books which use flashing ads!
Hit them in the pocketbook where it hurts!

message 3: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink | 50 comments I agree they are annoying, and so are the survey pages that pop up

message 4: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments Unfortunately, it's money in the pocket for GR and they are a for profit company.

I suggest you use AdBlock or similar, I have no such problems.

message 5: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 06, 2012 09:07AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments MissJessie wrote: "Unfortunately, it's money in the pocket for GR and they are a for profit company. I suggest you use AdBlock or similar, I have no such problems."

What are the downsides to AdBlock? Anybody know? Are there any?

message 6: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 06, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments I wonder if LibraryThing.com has flashing ads.
I shall look and perhaps switch to LT if they have no flashing ads.

message 7: by Rinou (new)

Rinou | 51 comments I don't think there's really any downside to Adblock. I've had it for 3 years now, and it's really great not to have ads anywhere.

message 8: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments I'll look into Adblock, but I'm also looking into LibraryThing.

message 9: by Vilma (new)

Vilma (Vaalkyrjaa) | 14 comments Joy H. wrote: "What are the downsides to AdBlock? Anybody know? Are there any?"

There arent any, they just block the ads out of sight, nothing more nothing less. And you can download it for free. It even installs itself to your web-browser, you dont have to fool around with any settings or anything. Its very easy.

I use AdBlock Plus which works perfectly fine for Chrome and Firefox web-browser, not sure about IE as I dont use this one.

message 10: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments I have never encountered any problems at all with Adblock, just a pleasure at no flashing or other ads.

message 11: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments What does Adblock gain by providing this service?
Do they have a hidden motive? I'm suspicious. :)

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 5 comments Adblock relies on donations, Joy, that's it. No hidden motives. If you don't want to see an ad anywhere on the Internet, it's not hard to do, although I guess it might not be entirely fair to a site you like like goodreads.

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 133 comments I just accept them as a necessity to keep goodreads free to use.

message 14: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Thanks for the information, Mike.

I would think that GR would have more respect for its members than to subject them to that flashing. I can accept non-flashing ads, but the policy of putting up flashing ads seems, to me, to cross the line into abuse.

message 15: by Parker (new)

Parker Jensen (Parkerj) | 2 comments NO offence but those adds keep goodreads free and if you don't like them you could just ignore them or something. But the weird thing is i don't have the flashing adds on my computer.

message 16: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Parker wrote: "NO offence but those adds keep goodreads free... "

There are other kinds of ads which make money for GR. The flashing ones shouldn't be necessary if they have any standards.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments the fact that adblock exists (and other ad blocking applications) gives goodreads members options to work around advertising. goodreads will continue to do what they need to keep the site viable and free to members and i am sure they understand that some members will use adblock to bypass their advertisements. i think we just need to accept this is the cost of having an amazing and free site, joy.

i have used adblock for about two years now, without any issues and i am very grateful it exists. it solves your problem perfectly, so i would highly recommend you download the free software and then the goodreads ads that are offensive to you will be gone.

message 18: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Good advice, Jennifer.
I'll ask my son to advise me on this.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments thanks, joy!! i think you will be very happy with adblock. it's a very simple download. here's the site. it will run, invisibly behind your web surfing. once it's installed and on your computer, there's really no maintenance or other issues that will require your attention.

it's great on other sites that use advertising too, like facebook. i have come to love adblock so much that if i happen to be on a computer that doesn't run it, i miss it so much!

message 20: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 06, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) GR uses an ad service. I think they have said elsewhere that they don't allow flashing ads. I believe they'd like a screen shot sent to support at goodreads dot com.

message 21: by Moloch (new)

Moloch Joy H. wrote: "I wonder if LibraryThing.com has flashing ads.
I shall look and perhaps switch to LT if they have no flashing ads."

LibraryThing has no advertising at all, but it's not free (if you add more than 200 books).

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "GR uses an ad service. I think they have said elsewhere that they don't allow flashing ads. I believe they'd like a screen shot sent to support at goodreads dot com."

I remember that too.

message 22: by Dree (new)

Dree | 0 comments There are days I cannot look at goodreads (and other sites) because some flashing ads give me visual migraines. Just like glare off a chrome bumper does. Anyone remember the migraine-med ad from a few years ago that showed different kinds of glare? The stupid ad gave me a visual migraine! Did not convince me to buy their med though.

Faster-flashing and "brighter" ads (red on bright white, bright yellow on black, etc) are much worse. I have a friend who's blog I cannot read because he has so much flashing/jumping/moving stuff.

We need to be careful about what ad-ons we download, as the firewall at my husband's work does not like them. So, we basically have none. We have gone down that route before, and are now gun shy :)

message 23: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Jennifer wrote: "the fact that adblock exists (and other ad blocking applications) gives goodreads members options to work around advertising. goodreads will continue to do what they need to keep the site viable an..."

I don't think blocking ads really affects Goodreads. It is our data that is sold to agencies who will target ads to particular groups of members. I don't think any of them have any idea that an adblocker is even used. The only time it might affect GR revenue is if the ads are pay-per-click and there are far fewer clicks than anticipated then I suppose that the person paying (Goodreads authors) might not bother with that method of advertising in the future.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Booktrovert) | 860 comments hi petra! i wasn't saying that using adblock would affect GR's revenue. just that, in their offices, i am sure they know some members use such software.

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) | 396 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "GR uses an ad service. I think they have said elsewhere that they don't allow flashing ads. I believe they'd like a screen shot sent to support at goodreads dot com."

Although GR requests that the advertisers refrain from pop-up, slide-over, or flashing, some do sneak through and they ask that members take screen-shots and email them.

message 26: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Yes, I was also under the impression that GR did not allow flashing ads. Meaning that they sometimes slip through, but they are not supposed to be on the site, and will be removed as soon as staff is notified (slower service on weekends, obviously).

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2012 03:13PM) (new)

There are some times where these advertisements can be useful, actually. For example, the books may be unpopular, and needs to get more sales. May not sound so important to you, but it is to the author who spent months (maybe years) on the book.

And when they are not. For example, whenever somebody puts it up there so he can get more and more money whenever he/she has enough. He/she may be a millionaire and would be so greedy, they'd want more and more.

message 28: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Dree wrote: "There are days I cannot look at goodreads (and other sites) because some flashing ads give me visual migraines. Just like glare off a chrome bumper does. Anyone remember the migraine-med ad from a ..."

Dree, that's a good argument against flashing ads!
They're not only very annoying but they can be harmful to certain people.

message 29: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 06, 2012 05:49PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "GR uses an ad service. I think they have said elsewhere that they don't allow flashing ads. I believe they'd like a screen shot sent to support at goodreads dot com."

I will try to get a screen shot but that's not so easy to do since they flash by so quickly.

I posted the name of the ad above in my opening post.
That should be MORE than enough to get Goodreads to go after the culprits.

The flashing ad was for _The Devil's Causeway_.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't help but look up the title of the ad, and all I found was some kind of famous landmark called "Devil's Causeway".

message 31: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I don't get the ad, but if it is about a book it's probably the new one from Matthew Westfall. The distributors have very low levels of stock so it doesn't seem they have much confidence in it being a bestseller. Perhaps the flashing ad will get it more attention (and sales).

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Although, I think that Goodreads should get rid of the ads that say "Attention! You have a chance to win the new iPad 2!" It came out in 2011!!