Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > The Wise Man's Fear

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments I am completely heartbroken, because the scheduled release date for The Wise Man's Fear was April 2009, and now it appears to be April 2010! Does anybody know anything about this? I'm praying that it's not true!

message 2: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 18 comments He hasn't posted anything about it in his blog. I also hope it's not true. Please for the love of all that is holy don't become like George R.R. Martin Mr. Rothfuss.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 21 comments I came here to see if anyone else knew anything about the delayed release date. We've been talking about it over in the Fantasy Book Club and thought someone here might know more. Patrick is a member of this group so perhaps he'll come on and say more?

message 4: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (last edited Feb 12, 2009 09:35AM) (new)

Mary (mary_believes_in_faeries) | 139 comments Mod
Maybe, maybe not- it took the poor guy awhile to own his first delay. I've been a bit worried since he is still posting about working on WMF. I'm not familiar with the publishing process but it seems to me that April is awfully close and that it would need to be in the printing process if we were going to get it in less than two months. :-(

I would like to add that I have had the pleasure of meeting Pat a couple of times and I am protective of him. Please be nice or, at least, don’t be surprised if any flaming gets deleted. Authors are real people with trials, tribulations, and feelings just like the rest of us.

So far, I think everyone in this group is full of awesome so we should have no worries. :-)

message 5: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-...

Pub. Date: April 2025

Doh!

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Haha I work at B&N, and I doubt it's really 2025. That just happens at B&N when the date of release changes. It goes to 2025 for awhile, and then it will change to what it is actually supposed to be. No idea why. Some sort of glitch or something.
And don't worry about any Pat-bashing from me. I pretty much worship the guy. I would never say anything negative about him. It's natural to be disappointed though. It seemed like April was so close, so I got my hopes up...

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Baugh (LauraVanArendonkBaugh) | 13 comments Amazon still says April 2009. Where was the newly-delayed date posted?

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Hmm...it appears that it has changed back to April 2009...weird.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Is someone at Amazon messing with our minds?

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Baugh (LauraVanArendonkBaugh) | 13 comments well, just look -- it IS generating buzz! /laugh/

message 11: by Crazy Uncle Ryan (new)

Crazy Uncle Ryan (CrazyUncleRyan) | 41 comments Well, Pat has now written two blog posts since this rumor started and neither has mentioned anything about a delay in the release. I'm taking that as a good sign.

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Me too. I'm thinking that if he had any devastating news, he probably would have blogged about it. Thank god!

message 13: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Well, he fessed up to the last delay (the move from April 2008 to April 2009) in January and it's February. Hopefully, we're safe! :-)

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2...

Plus, he seems pretty chipper.

message 14: by Kelsey (last edited Feb 26, 2009 06:11PM) (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments So, bad news. It's delayed. (Well, not technically "delayed" I suppose, since there wasn't supposed to be a release date for it in the first place.)

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/b...

But like I said in the fantasy group, I think Pat is awesome. If he needs years to get this book done, I will wait. It's depressing, yes, but at least Pat's blogs never fail to make me literally laugh out loud.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Baugh (LauraVanArendonkBaugh) | 13 comments Oh de sadness. :(

message 16: by Robin (last edited Feb 27, 2009 05:34AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 21 comments Sorry to hear this. But it is stuff like this that is EXACTLY why my husband wrote all six of his books before putting out the first.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Robin wrote: "Sorry to hear this. But it is stuff like this that is EXACTLY why my husband wrote all six of his books before putting out the first."

I think that part of Pat's frustration is that he tried that. But he has gone back and done revisions upon revision. He's such a perfectionist that he wants to make sure every single word is exactly right before finishing the work. Well, in the end we'll have a better product for his diligence....

Meanwhile, we can read Riyria Revelations and other things while we wait....

message 18: by Dallas (new)

Dallas | 18 comments I love reading his blog. Makes me laugh every time. I think most people just wanted to be assured that it was going to be delayed. It was the not-knowing that got under my skin.

message 19: by Todd (new)

Todd While I'm disappointed that the book is delayed again, I've got plenty to read right now, so it is not the end of the world.

I am, however, jealous that he has a career where if he turns in a project late, or not at all, tomorrow, he still has a job. If I did the same thing at my company, I'd be looking for a new job tomorrow.

message 20: by Crazy Uncle Ryan (new)

Crazy Uncle Ryan (CrazyUncleRyan) | 41 comments Todd,

You do NOT want that. Believe me, this is a very bad time to be out of work. Turn in those projects on time man, turn them in early.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Baugh (LauraVanArendonkBaugh) | 13 comments Todd wrote: "I am, however, jealous that he has a career where if he turns in a project late, or not at all, tomorrow, he still has a job. If I did the same thing at my company, I'd be looking for a new job tomorrow."

It's an additional luxury in a career which may pay pennies an hour. :)

Rather, it's an additional luxury, for someone who has already established a definite brand and market, in a career which may pay pennies an hour. Not all writers get that additional luxury.

message 22: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments I'm guessing most writers do not get that luxury. When you're the best of the best, I suppose they let you be a diva.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 21 comments It did seem a bit diva-ish to me - I warned Michael that if he ever started sounding that way I'd have to slap him up side the head. But I will never begrudge an author his success.

message 24: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Haha. I do think that if an author I love needs more time to be able to make the book the best it can be, I'll wait.

message 25: by Todd (new)

Todd I can wait as well.

I was not wishing to be unemployed, but just expressing my jealousy.

message 26: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments I'm jealous as well. Ah, to be a great writer! You wouldn't have to go to work. You could just sleep in for as long as you wanted, then sit down at the computer/notebook, and work your magic. What a life!

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Baugh (LauraVanArendonkBaugh) | 13 comments Kelsey wrote: "Ah, to be a great writer! You wouldn't have to go to work. You could just sleep in for as long as you wanted, then sit down at the computer/notebook, and work your magic. What a life!"

Um, yeah. It's exactly like that. :)

message 28: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Haha. I know it's probably not as amazing as I make it out to be, but it sure sounds awesome!

message 29: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

My understanding is that the Kingkiller Chronicles is finished. By finished, I mean it has a beginning, middle, and ending. I believe it was originally one massive story. I think the only sour grapes for me are that somewhere along the way I'm pretty sure DAW implied that the sequels would be released a year apart. (April 2008, April 2009) Other than that I'm not worried. Pat has had additional opportunities, a major lifestyle adjustment, and a commitment to excellence to maintain that makes his works such a pleasure to read. I am not willing to have him rushed and get a final a product that is not as wonderful as his debut. That would be a bigger disappointment to me than waiting another five years for WMF.

Some of these comments are skirting my flaming prohibition- Pat is a very nice (if incredibly bearded guy) and was not only cool enough to join this group but contribute to it also. He sees what we post. This isn’t some anonymous author to me- this is a really nice man I know that has chatted with me, bought me dinner, shared cookies, and pretty much been a friend (albeit a super busy one) over the last two years.

My point is that freedom of speech at the expense of anyone’s feelings is not a right in this particular forum. I started it and I’m a rabid fangirl. Be super nice or start your own goodreads group.

Quote:
“You are my Cookie Crisp, and I don't want one turd to spoil how I feel about you.”

message 30: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments =( I thought we were all being super understanding and supportive!

message 31: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Pretty much- just trying to prevent anyone from saying anything that they would feel bad about if they got a chance to meet Pat. (Kind of the "if you wouldn't say it to someone's face" principle)
Plus, we're still coming to grips with our disappointment. No telling what will be posted when it really sets in. ;-)

message 32: by Justin (last edited Mar 16, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 3 comments It's my understanding that you have to set a release date in order to miss one. What online retailers decide to put in their descriptions is hardly with in Pat's direct control. We should learn form this and take the author's word, or lack there of before anyone else.

message 33: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Well, the date wasn't completely out of the blue. In the blog Pat posted when it was originally going to be delayed, he said we were looking at April 2009, so that's probably where they got it from.

message 34: by Matt (new)

Matt | 3 comments So he turned in the first draft of the manuscript.....

YAY!!!!!

message 35: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Did you see that monster? I'm so excited!

message 36: by Justin (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 3 comments This is good news, very good news.

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) ....and there was much rejoicing....

message 38: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Woooohooo! I just had a kid come into my store today and ask me where the second book was. I had to break his heart and tell him that it wasn't published yet, but I did tell him that the manuscript has finally been turned in (probably more than he wanted to know, but oh well.) I'm so excited!!

message 39: by Justin (new)

Justin (fanlitsjustin) | 3 comments You know it's no wonder it took him so long to "edit" this book, that manuscript is a beast to behold.

message 40: by Ron (new)

Ron | 12 comments I'd rather he got it the way he wants it than be tied to an artificial deadline.

Sure, we'd all like to have the book in our hands now, but we want it to live up to expectations, too.

message 41: by Crazy Uncle Ryan (new)

Crazy Uncle Ryan (CrazyUncleRyan) | 41 comments Amen to that Ron!

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura Baugh (LauraVanArendonkBaugh) | 13 comments I can't find the relevant post. Can someone post a proper link to the specific post? Thanks!

message 43: by Matt (last edited Jun 29, 2009 04:04AM) (new)