Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > November contemporary nominations

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Put your November novel nominations in here for November already to get things started!

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam Matthews | 26 comments Am I allowed to nominate my own book?

message 3: by William (new)

William Edmondson (liamedmondson) | 3 comments How about Anne McCaffrey's Freedoms Landing? I think most people know or have read her Pern novels and they just skip over this great series. If I am allowed a second Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner is a great read.

message 4: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Normally we have about two nominations per person we allow. We just try and make sure we don't get tons and tons so two is fine William!

I want to nominate Furies of Calderon for a fantasy contemporary. Its a book I tried a while ago but never got into so I'm trying it again. I'd also nominate Gardens of the Moon

message 5: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments Reamde by Neal Stephenson which I haven't read, or China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh which is an old, (imo) underrated, and incredibly well-written science fiction novel.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 19 comments I would second Gardens of the Moon.

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 12, 2012 03:01AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 0 comments How about On Basilisk Station or Sheepfarmer's Daughter (also in omnibus edition The Deed of Paksenarrion)?

On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) by David Weber Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) by Elizabeth Moon (omnibus The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3) by Elizabeth Moon)

message 8: by Bev (last edited Oct 12, 2012 03:30AM) (new)

Bev (Greenginger) | 116 comments How about a change of pace and some sci fi instead of fantasy. Although I think my choice is a mix and it is skimming the edge of contemporary and older. Anyhow Long Voyage Back by Luke Rhinehartby Luke Rhinehart. A story of apocalypse. I read it years ago and I see it has been recently republished.

message 9: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments Adam wrote: "Am I allowed to nominate my own book?"

I think our stance as moderators was that typically we weren't running with self nominations unless you were offering members of the group a copy of the book to read.

message 11: by Bev (new)

Bev (Greenginger) | 116 comments Horace wrote: "Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings"

Crikey Horace thats an oldie but goodie. :)

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I would like to nominate The City and the City by China Miéville

message 13: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (HoraceTPonii) Bev wrote: "Horace wrote: "Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings"

Crikey Horace thats an oldie but goodie. :)"

I looked through the old polls & saw it came in pretty high a few months ago.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 0 comments I'll second Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1) by David Eddings Pawn of Prophecy (loved Belgariad and Malloreon series; really loathed The Dreamers series)

message 15: by Raven (new)

Raven | 9 comments I would second Furies of Calderon,I've read the six book series and Jim Butcher takes you on an exciting adventure....couldn't put it down

message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary (VegasReader) | 3 comments I could not get through the first chapter of Gardens of the Moon. Veto

message 17: by Bev (new)

Bev (Greenginger) | 116 comments Gary wrote: "I could not get through the first chapter of Gardens of the Moon. Veto"

They are pretty tough going but are good books.

message 18: by Yaz (new)

Yaz (YazSporrong) I'm with the Pawn of Prophecy gang too. My favourite. Ever.

message 19: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.