The Holy Bible: New American Standard Version, NASB The Holy Bible discussion

well then

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pip (new)

Pip so it is forbidden for a man to lay with another man, but it is so totally okay for women to get their father drunk and sleep with him repeatedly.

Joanna It is Lot, not Abraham

message 3: by Pip (new)

Pip nuance. my bad. (but apparently there's nothing wrong in what they did, only in my character confusion. lol ok then)

message 4: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Ellis I am not sure that the Bible condones the action so much as it records it. One of the issues that is constantly brought up when reading the Bible is that people tend to think that because something is recorded in the Bible that the Bible necessarily condones it. Which isn't true. Much of the Old Testament does not paint a great picture of Israel, in fact as you get into the prophets the nation of Israel (God's chosen people) are pretty wretched. But getting back to your point, Notice that the sons that are gained from this incestuous relationships are the fathers of the "Moabites" and the "Ammonites." both are groups of people who constantly oppress Israel and are reciprocally conquered by Israel. I think it is safe to say that God was not OK with Lot, or his daughters choices in that episode. Notice as well that the history that is recorded in the Bible is not a "greatest hits" for the nation of Israel, quite the opposite, more often than not the Bible is recording Israel's failure's, even the laws that are levied against the Israelites are a response to their wickedness.

A good question might be: do you prefer a self-history of a civilization that is honest about itself (flaws and all) or a self-history that shows only the best aspects of a nation?

message 5: by Tahca (new)

Tahca Neither is okay. Lot's daughters were trying to preserve their family line through their father and back then the family line was the most important thing to people. If your line ended you weren't as respected in the community.

message 6: by stig (new)

stig Ben is correct. Even people who hold that the Bible is perfect in composition and divinely inspired can also believe that it isn't altogether an instruction guide for living. That sort of stuff is in there, but so is lots of other stuff.

message 7: by Pip (new)

Pip it's not history! it's fiction honestly hahaha