Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > The New Button

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 161 comments I don't know whether this is a bug per se, but I had a book on my to-read shelf. About 5 minutes ago I used the little green drop down menu to add it to a custom shelf. I just now noticed on my profile that the book is now marked Read.

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
The UHQ Nasanta wrote: "I don't know whether this is a bug per se, but I had a book on my to-read shelf. About 5 minutes ago I used the little green drop down menu to add it to a custom shelf. I just now noticed on my pro..."

Odd. Has this happened again for you? I've been trying to replicate it, but it seems to work as expected on my end.

message 3: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments I have noticed this exact thing whenever I put it on a non-exclusive shelf first. So I click the button, and put it on "keeper shelf" for example, it automatically puts it into my Read shelf too, as long as I haven't already chosen an exclusive shelf. Does that sound like what it's doing for you?

If it is, the simple fix is to put it on an exclusive shelf first. OR, remember to click the appropriate exclusive shelf after assigning the non-exclusive shelves.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Yes, the new button is cumbersome and not user-friendly as currently designed.

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I have had the same experience. I discovered that some books had gone onto my read shelf instead of "to be read",

message 6: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I had the same experience. If you don't put it into Currently Reading first, then it automatically marked as read.

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1157 comments I've noticed this, too. I'm trying to get into the habit of selecting the bookshelf button instead of the main Want to Read button, so I have better control over what shelves it gets on. And I have to remember to select nonexclusive shelves first because as soon as you select an exclusive shelf, the dropdown closes and it starts whatever other processing may be associated with the exclusive shelf you selected. But if you don't get an exclusive shelf selected before the dropdown closes, it automatically chooses Read, probably because that's the first one on the list.

So you have to be careful about the order in which you do things and make sure you finish your process before GR can insert it's own process.

message 8: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments That's where all mine I added, "Read" as well. Since I just bought the darn things, I have not yet read them.

Very useful.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2066 comments Dean wrote: "It's sending mine to Want to read when I click on the button then I have to edit it to fix it.

And this is an improvement?"

Are you clicking on the button or the icon on the side? Clicking on the Want to Read button will put it on that shelf.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 549 comments Stefani wrote: "I have noticed this exact thing whenever I put it on a non-exclusive shelf first. So I click the button, and put it on "keeper shelf" for example, it automatically puts it into my Read shelf too, ..."

Let me see if I have this clear: Choosing an exclusive shelf closes the tab, so it's been suggested to choose non-exclusive first - but this sends it to the read shelf?

That's very irritating. I hope they get these bugs worked out soon.

message 11: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments I'd think about it Abigail. Things on GR are trending downward quickly.

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Oct 21, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8934 comments MissJessie wrote: "I'd think about it Abigail. Things on GR are trending downward quickly."

I'd still love it if you did it, Abigail. One thing I recommend everybody do though is export your books. I do it almost daily. If there is any kind of glitch, or worse, I'd be very upset to lose all my data. Of course, not everything can be saved to our computers, but most fields are saved.

message 13: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments Excellent advise, Lisa, as always. I exported nearly daily myself out of fear of failure of GR, or their sudden disappearance.

message 14: by Lisa (last edited Oct 22, 2012 01:20PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8934 comments MissJessie wrote: "Excellent advise, Lisa, as always. I exported nearly daily myself out of fear of failure of GR, or their sudden disappearance."

MissJessie, I wish all members knew how to do this and would take advantage of it, at least those members who care about their reviews and ratings and book records.

message 15: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments I know. When the big Amazon fiasco was being implemented, people asked the PTB if they should back up their date, and were told it wasn't necessary. Well, we saw what happened.

It's so easy for a system, or server, or database to crash or be killed as it were and then, there you are.