Washoe County Library @ GoodReads discussion

Group read?

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Oct 05, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments I noticed there is 49 members now, should we consider a group read for one of the winter months, just to try it out? Anyone interested?

message 2: by John (new)

John Crockett | 10 comments Mod
Hi Julie,

In my lifelong experience with libraries I've never been a part of a book club. I'd love to start off the new year with a group read with everyone here. Any suggestions for a title to read?

John

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Lange (DianneLange) Great idea to get a book group going. The Round House would be a good one to start with. Or a classic...any classic.

message 4: by Jacci (new)

Jacci (Jaccit) | 8 comments Let me know what you decide and I'll try to join in.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Wow, I never thought anyone would respond. "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich would be fine with me. I've heard it's excellent. Shall we start after the New Year around the 10th? If that sounds good, I'll get the word out.

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Lange (DianneLange) I'm ready and just finished the book.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments I was talking with a library staff member today and she gave me some suggestions for our library book club experiment. So here are the "guidelines" I think we should follow, at least for now:

I will choose the book this month. I've decided to go with "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver because it's easy to obtain either through the library or used book store. It's an excellent book, well written and not depressing. It will lift our spirits through the January winter doldrums. It should inspire some good discussion.

Starting in Febuary, any members participating will take turns choosing the book they want to read for the month. We can do this alphabetically by last name. This should foster a wide range of diverse readings, challenging our brains and allowing for healthy discussions.

We will start at the beginning of each month and discuss towards the end of the month. Less pressure to have to read the book fast.

If this book club is successful and more members join, we can nominate 5 books each month and collectively vote on the book we all want to read.

Since this is an experiment, we will adjust as needed.

Ok? Let's give it a try and see where it leads us. Julie Langman

Sorry Dianne, I know I threw you for a loop but I hope you will stay with us even though I decided against "The Round House" mainly because it is hard to get at the library and expensive to buy. (for now)

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Lange (DianneLange) That's ok. I read prodigal summer a long time ago but will reread to try this book club experiment.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Thanks, Dianne, I appreciate your support. Ok, I think that makes three of us........anymore?

message 10: by John (new)

John Crockett | 10 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Great! Thanks John. We will start our group discussion on January 25 and then we will choose the person to decide the book for Febuary.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Group read members please feel free to invite others to our group.

message 13: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 9 comments Sorry for the lag time responding; I'm in as well! Looking forward to reading my first Kingsolver book!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in as well, what is the book we will be reading again. New to goodreads still learning my way around.

Stacie

message 15: by LecClier (new)

LecClier (SierraK) | 14 comments Hello, I just joined this group, looking forward to reading "Prodigal Summer." I enjoyed a couple other Kingsolver books I read, but it's been a long time since I've read any of her work.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Welcome Stacie and Lecclier. For this month, we are reading "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver. We will begin our discussion on Jan 25. We are delighted to have you join in. Julie

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter Rojas (Peterock775) | 2 comments This guy wants in!

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Welcome Peter!

message 19: by LecClier (new)

LecClier (SierraK) | 14 comments Julie wrote: "Welcome Stacie and Lecclier. For this month, we are reading "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver. We will begin our discussion on Jan 25. We are delighted to have you join in. Julie"

Thank you Julie. I'm about half-way through Prodigal Summer so far, and enjoying it!

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Me too! I'm looking forward to our discussion

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments I'm in :)

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Great! Welcome Michelle

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments I will post thoughts today to start our discussion for "Prodigal Summer" In the meantime, here is the schedule for the upcoming book selections. In alphabetical order:

Aurora - Feb.
Dianne - March
Jacci - April
John - May
Julie (skip since I chose for Jan.)
LecClier - June
Michelle - July
Peter - August
Stacie - Sept.

message 24: by LecClier (new)

LecClier (SierraK) | 14 comments Hi Julie...

Thanks for putting together a schedule for selections. I've recently moved to Reno and look forward to chatting with this group. I was in a book club in Colorado for 20 years.... and we had a few guidelines.

One of our guidelines was that the book had to be available in paperback, as we did not want to force people to buy expensive hardbacks. And if the selection is a fairly current one, it could take a really long time to get from the library. i.e. I am N0 136 in line for the book "Gone Girl" at Washoe County. It's going to be months til I get it.

Also, are we going to read only fiction books? Or is non-fiction okay too? I would vote for both, myself.

Just wanted to throw out my opinion and see what everyone else thinks.

LecClier

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Yes, I think we should all choose books that are not difficult to obtain or expensive. Either fiction or non-fiction is fine. Whatever book the person scheduled for that month wants to pick. This will allow for diverse readings. If we start to pick up a lot more people than we can nominate books and vote. In the meantime, we will follow an individual schedule.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davalt (Serinde) | 1 comments Since I missed January I will try to join in February.

message 27: by LecClier (new)

LecClier (SierraK) | 14 comments Julie wrote: "Yes, I think we should all choose books that are not difficult to obtain or expensive. Either fiction or non-fiction is fine. Whatever book the person scheduled for that month wants to pick. This w..."

One of the really awesome things about being in a book club where everyone submits books is that we all read things that we would *never* read on our own. And many of those books have been real treasures.

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Sarah wrote: "Since I missed January I will try to join in February."

We would love to have you Sarah

message 29: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Lange (DianneLange) Hi July, March is going to be a crazy month for me because my son is getting married. Can I switch with someone else...any other month is ok. /D.

Julie wrote: "I will post thoughts today to start our discussion for "Prodigal Summer" In the meantime, here is the schedule for the upcoming book selections. In alphabetical order:

Aurora - Feb.
Dianne - Marc..."

Julie wrote: "I will post thoughts today to start our discussion for "Prodigal Summer" In the meantime, here is the schedule for the upcoming book selections. In alphabetical order:

Aurora - Feb.
Dianne - Marc..."

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments Sure, no problem. Who wants March?

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie (jewlsannsbcglobalnet) | 56 comments p.s. Congratulations, Dianne on your son's upcoming marriage. Very exciting

message 32: by LecClier (new)

LecClier (SierraK) | 14 comments Hi Julie, Dianne,

I'll be happy to take March...Dianne does June work for you?

message 33: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Lange (DianneLange) Perfect. Thanks.