Diana Wynne Jones Fans discussion

Other Books > What other books do you read?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona, Tweetums (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 145 comments Mod
So, other then Diana Wynne Jones - what other books do you read within this genre?

message 2: by K. (new)

K. Wolf (Kazul9) | 5 comments I'm a fan of Patricia C. Wrede, personally. ^^

message 3: by Fiona, Tweetums (new)

What books has she written?

message 4: by K. (new)

K. Wolf (Kazul9) | 5 comments Well, her most popular books are The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and the titles are Dealing With Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons and Talking to Dragons.

message 5: by Fiona, Tweetums (new)

They sound good - yet another book to add to my pile!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie (smIsle) | 7 comments Yes, Patricia Wrede is awesome! Mairelon the Magician and The Magician's Ward are good too if youlike a little romance.

I like Sheri Tepper's books - her writing reminds me of Diana Jones' - but very much for adults rather than children. She is very good at the surprise endings and mid-story twists. The best books to start with are the True Game books (there are 9 of them). Make sure you read them in the right order though.

Ursula Le Guin hardly needs mentioning. Her newest books (Gifts, Voices and Powers) are particularly good if you haven't tried them yet.

Another good YA author that is under-read is Sid Fleischman - he wrote Whipping Boy, and The 13th Floor - all of his books are good, but those two are my favorites.

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 30 comments Sheri S Tepper is a lot of fun, her only drawback is her occasional tendency to decide that all men (sometimes all humanity) are evil, and that the world/universe would be better off without them. Good writer though :)

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 13 comments I thought I'd mention The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia, because not only are they GREAT, but their author, Megan Whalen Turner, cites DWJ as one of her influences..

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie (smIsle) | 7 comments Jonathan,

Yup, that's very true - especially her newer books. Her technique seems to be to take some issue and amplify it as much as she can manage. I almost never agree with her views 100% but her books are still darned good.

Josie, thanks! I keep forgetting to read the sequels to The Thief. That was an amazing book.

Has anyone here read Neil Gaiman? Opinions?

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 6 comments Some of my other other "recent favorites"
Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
The Amulet of Samarkand
The Name of the Wind
Mistborn The Final Empire
The Crown ConspiracyAvempartha

Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett The Amulet of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1) by Jonathan Stroud The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivanbookcover:Avempartha|5038322]

In full disclosure the last two were written by my husband but they still classify as a favorite of mine.

message 11: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 13 comments Susie - I've read Coraline, Stardust and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, and I'm currently starting The Graveyard Book. Coraline was deliciously creepy, I thought the movie of Stardust better than the novel, but I loved Neverwhere!
Also, the sequels to The Thief (in my humble opinion) outshine it, so read them, quick! :D

message 12: by Fiona, Tweetums (new)

I've had Ursula Le Gui's Earthsea collection for a while, which I really want to read, she sounds like she'll be good.

I love the children's/YA genre and I really hope I don't grow out of it - being 23 already and still loving it - I want to keep my imagination fresh and withit.

I love the Otori series by Lian Hearn - she writes more an older audience I think but I adore that series of books. Lian Hearn isn't her real name, she has another I can't remember what now - but I'd like to read them.

Also, I love Eva Ibbotson - she writes romances. I'm not a romantic usually but I can't deny - I love a love story and she writes so elegantly - though very golden hued.

message 13: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 13 comments Lian Hearn is the Australian author Gillian Rubenstein - I've yet to read the Otori series, I tried once, but couldn't get into it.... time to give it another go, I think!
I'm the same, Fiona, I'm 22, and still love YA the most above everything! Often I feel like I shouldn't, and that I really should grow up and act my age, but since coming onto GR, I've realised I'm definitely not the only one! AND I recommend The Sherwood Ring, and Summers at Castle Auburn - YA reads with a good mix of fantasy, romance and witty cleverness.

message 14: by Fiona, Tweetums (new)

I think that's the thing ACTING your age.

People think that if you like YA books then you're immature, stupid or not ACTING like an adult. I think more people actually act like adults then actually being an adult.

Reading YA or children's books for your own pleasure doesn't mean you're not adult, if anything it makes you more well rounded as a person as you aren't defined by the types of books you read, or don't let yourself be. If you have to act like an adult, you can't be an adult. ;)

I loved the Otori series - I was sucked in from the word go. I love the style of writing she uses. I hope if you give it a second go that you enjoy it too.

And The Sherwood Ring sounds really really good as does Summers at Castle Auburn... damn more books added to my TBR!

message 15: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 13 comments YES! Another convert! Well, almost. Tell me what you think when you've read them!

message 16: by Fiona, Tweetums (new)

haha - I'm on a book ban. I have 281 books to get through... so it might be a while!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I recommend The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley...or anything else by her, really.

On the back of my copy of The Game, there is a quote from her: "I love Diana Wynne Jones!"

message 18: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 13 comments Ooh yes, Robin McKinley's good (although I didn't enjoy her recent Sunshine very much, and I haven't being hearing good things about Deerskin), I just found The Blue Sword in a second-hand bookstore the other day, can't wait to read it!
In reference back to messages 12 and 14, the quote on the front of Neil Gamain's The Graveyard Book is from DWJ: "The best book Gamain has ever written." (I disagree, I liked Neverwhere better!)

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 6 comments Did anyone other than me see some parallelisms between Howls and Gaiman's Stardust? They both had the same fairytaleish quality to them.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Kara wrote: "I'm a fan of Patricia C. Wrede, personally. ^^"

These are great books. You'll have to pick them up once your book ban is over, Fiona.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Fiona wrote: "So, other then Diana Wynne Jones - what other books do you read within this genre?"

Do you mean YA fantasy? Hmmm... I'll have to think about that. Most of what I can think of has already been mentioned.
Artemis Fowl
The Lightning Thief
Inkheart
The Dark Is Rising Sequence Silver on the Tree; The Grey King; Greenwitch; The Dark Is Rising; and Over Sea, Under Stone--I read these when I was probably 10 or 11 and I loved them then.
The Wish Giver Three Tales of Coven Tree
A Wrinkle in Time

I agree with whoever mentioned The Graveyard Book, and all of Robin's recs in message 13 are good ones.

Some of these are probably more for children than YA. I'm 30--that line has gotten pretty blurry for me! But I think they're all good. It has been quite a few years since I read some of them!

message 22: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 13 comments I've been working my way through the Claidi books by Tanith Lee (first one Wolf Tower The Claidi Journals I), and the sheer quirkiness of them, combined with their humour reminds me of Diana Wynne Jones...

message 23: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 42 comments I'll throw in another vote for Megan W Turner and Patricia Wrede -- not so much the Enchanted Forest series (really only liked the first couple) but Mairelon the Magician, Sorcery and Cecilia, and the Lyra books. Also, the Secret Country series by Pamela Dean is excellent. Maybe "So You Want to be a Wizard?" by Diane Duane. And they're only minimally fantasy, but Joan Aiken's Dido series, that begins with Wolves of Willoughby Chase, is a lot of fun. Hounds of the Morrigan is excellent, if you can find it. And Enchanter's Glass is nice if you like Spencer.

message 24: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kelofmindelan) | 9 comments Patricia Wrede is wonderful and Eva Ibbotson is a joy to read.

However, one of my favorite is Tamora Pierce. She writes incredibly strong females on great adventures.

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) | 67 comments When I discovered Diana Wynne Jones, I bought every book of hers that I could find. After reading DWJ's books I discovered Tamora Pierce. I did the same with Pierce's books. She is one of my favored authers. Patricia Wrede is good, too. I've read many of the authors suggested on this thread, but there are some I haven't read. I'll have to take a look.

message 26: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 44 comments After discovering Diana Wynne Jones, I went to my library and looked for different fantasy books. I read Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede and it reminded me so much of Diana Wynne Jones's books. Then I read some books by Jane Yolen, which were pretty good. I did love her one book of short stories and poems. It was wonderful.
I also read Dial-A-Ghost by Eva Ibbotson, which was very good. I was sad to find out the other day she had passed away in October 2010.
Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce has become one of my favorite books.
There are so many I have read that I like. But these are the few I can think of right now.

message 27: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) | 67 comments I listened to Dial-A-Ghost and really enjoyed it. Meant to read more of her books. Sorry to hear she passed away.

message 28: by Zach (new)

Zach Sparks (rykien) | 32 comments I wasn't sure what topic to put this under, but this looks like the best fit. In anticipation of "The Islands of Chaldea," I read one of Ursula's books, "The Lost King." I really enjoyed it, and I hope it came across in my review. Comments are welcome, let me know what you think.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 29: by Ashley (last edited May 25, 2014 01:05AM) (new)

Ashley | 3 comments Michael Pryor's "Laws of Magic" series is really good, especially Blaze of Glory.
Garth Nix also has some wonderful books, such as "The Old Kingdom Chronicals" and "The Keys to the Kingdom" series.
I also love reading Jonathan Stroud, Tamora Pierce, John Flanagan, The Quentaris Chronicals and Emily Rodda

message 30: by Bah Humpug (new)

Bah Humpug | 2 comments Discovered Diana Wynne Jones as an adult after seeing the movie Howl's Moving Castle and have since read all her books! Some other books I like in this genre for kids/YA are

- Suzanne Collins' Underland Chronicles (loved this series more than Hunger Games)
- Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass (great series but the first book was the best)
- Laura Amy Schlitz's Splendors and Gloom (a bit darker)
- Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book (also joining the recommendations for that here)
- Michael Ende's The Neverending Story (classic)
- Tony DiTerlizzi's A Hero for WondLa (more scifi than fantasy)
- Michael Scott's The Alchemyst series
- Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl and Book of A Thousand Days (like a lot of her books but these two are my favorite)

I also love anything by Brandon Sanderson as someone else recommended before, but he's more of an adult writer.

message 31: by Scurra (new)

Scurra | 14 comments I'd like to recommend Among Others, which deservedly won the Hugo award a couple of years ago. It reminded me very strongly of some of DWJ's more complex books (Fire & Hemlock etc.) with a cleverly understated backstory and an unashamedly geeky love of genre.