Bookworms discussion

News and Other stuff > Awards and Recognition

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival 2012

Denise Mina wins 2012 Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year and Colin Dexter presented with Outstanding Contribution to Crime Fiction Award

Scottish author Denise Mina scooped the Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year award with her ninth book The End of the Wasp Season. One of the most prestigious crime writing prizes in the country, the Glaswegian writer was presented the award by title sponsor Simon Theakston, at the opening night party of the Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival in Harrogate.

Beating off stiff competition from a shortlist that included SJ Watson’s smash hit debut Before I Go To Sleep; veteran crime writer John Connolly’s The Burning Soul; and Steve Mosby’s acclaimed Black Flowers; this is the first time that Mina has been awarded the coveted accolade.

A special presentation was made to the winner of the third Theakstons Old Peculier Outstanding Contribution to Crime Fiction Award, which this year was awarded to Colin Dexter, creator of Inspector Morse.

Dexter said: “Never had I thought that the gods would be kindly enough to give me such a huge honour so late in my life. Yet here I am, in my early eighties, feeling a profound and heartfelt gratitude for the great honour bestowed on me.”

Simon Theakston, Executive Director of T&R Theakston, said: “Denise Mina is a fantastically talented writer and The End of the Wasp Season is a thoroughly deserving winner and a great example of ‘tartan noir’. It was a very tough decision this year as all the books on the shortlist were outstanding in different ways but I’m delighted to be able to hand the trophy to Denise, the first woman to have won since 2008, for this hugely atmospheric and haunting book.

“I’m also delighted and privileged to welcome Colin Dexter to Harrogate to collect his much- deserved Outstanding Contribution to Crime Fiction Award. Few writers are as prolific as Colin has been over his long and varied career and even fewer create a character as iconic and well-loved as Morse. This award acknowledges Colin’s huge contribution not only to crime fiction and to British culture, but also to real ale. Few detectives enjoy a pint better than Morse!”

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex  Mathew  | 18 comments There is a superb site which gives information about almost all book awards and gives points to books which have won all major awards. If you have not checked out please check out. Honor rolls section is superb.

www.awardannals.com

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Adithyajones wrote: "There is a superb site which gives information about almost all book awards and gives points to books which have won all major awards. If you have not checked out please check out. Honor rolls sect..."

Thanx for sharing.