Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Halloween Suggestion

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Travelling Sunny (Sunny_In_Wonderland) | 100 comments Can anyone recommend a scary List book to read for Halloween? Something besides Dracula, Frankenstein, or Dr. Jekyll...

message 2: by Suzanne (last edited Oct 05, 2012 05:44AM) (new)

Suzanne Moore (SuzeQ) | 22 comments Here's my review of The Monk, a recently read horror favorite!

Travelling Sunny (Sunny_In_Wonderland) | 100 comments That sounds PERFECT! Thank you!

message 4: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (amaryann21) | 50 comments The Shining. I still can't watch the movie, but the book is brilliant!

Travelling Sunny (Sunny_In_Wonderland) | 100 comments Oh, wow! I'd forgotten all about King! Thank you! Now I have TWO great books to read for Halloween!

message 6: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Sunny in Wonderland wrote: "Can anyone recommend a scary List book to read for Halloween? Something besides Dracula, Frankenstein, or Dr. Jekyll..."

This Gothic/early horror listopia list has quite a few 1001 books on it:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/20...

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 68 comments What about Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu and Turn of the Screw by Henry James?

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 30 comments The War of The Worlds is an older thriller.

Travelling Sunny (Sunny_In_Wonderland) | 100 comments I stumbled across the description for House of Leaves --- I hope it's as scary as everyone's reviews make it out to be, because I just ordered the remastered full color edition from B&N. LOL!

message 10: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 686 comments In a glass darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu, some really creepy stories.

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Paey | 23 comments American psycho.....super creepy

message 12: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) | 671 comments Mod
In addition to those already suggested, here are a few list books, in a variety of genres, that I found to be particularly creepy reads on dark, fall nights:

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
The Midwich Cuckoos - John Wyndham
The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
The Collector - John Fowles
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind
The Club Dumas - Arturo Pérez-Reverte
The Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allan Poe
The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells
The Swarm - Frank Schätzing

Or, the one I'm starting today --
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier (It was a Hitchcock film, after all.)

Later this month, I'll be picking up The Woman in White. I hear it is pretty chilling and thrilling!

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (bookish_wendy) | 155 comments I definitely recommend Therese Raquin by Emil Zola. Despite having been written in the 1800's it has some of the creepiest scenes I've ever read, and the description of the morgue is terrifying. You can find my review here!

message 14: by Alxandra (new)

Alxandra | 7 comments I just read The Killer Inside Me which I thought was a good Halloween read. It definitely scared me.

message 15: by Mekki (new)

Mekki | 162 comments You can The House on the Borderland to your list.