Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Naamah's Kiss (Naamah Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Naamah's Kiss
Jun 2012: Kushiel's Dart > Naamah offshoot of Kushiel's Universe? Anyone?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Oct 21, 2012 11:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle | 54 comments I would absolutely love to see you guys cover this book. It is a part of the Kushiel Universe however the last three books are different in that they're based on Naamah. The main character, Moirin, who is half D'Angeline and half Maghuin Dhonn I find is far more relatible than Phedre (though I love her too). The Naamah books seem to be a bit more simplistic in how its written than the previous 6 and don't necessarily have to read the Kushiel books to start this one. The changes are that the adventures are more fantastical, no BDSM, and has far more girl/girl action.

I love the Naamah series a lot though I know many people who loved the first 6 either loved or hated the newer ones. Any thoughts?

Tegan (joggiwagga) | 276 comments Read them as they came out - definitely a different look at the D'Angeline world. It's later on than the Kushiel books, and has a less harsh patron goddess for those who aren't a fan of the whipping. Morrin is significantly more magical/mystical than Phedre, and while there is a strand of intrigue running through the whole trilogy, it is not so overwhelming as it is in the Kushiel books. Rather it is an undercurrent in a story of adventure, discovery, and the power of naughty times.

message 3: by Zachary (last edited Oct 06, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

Zachary | 34 comments I'm just getting the first two off ebay so I'm hopeful about them. (paid for by donations from me hosting the BAVR forum .. thanks!) The first six books were like crack.. couldn't stop reading them. That Carey woman is a genius. I have big hopes and am dedicated to reading anything she writes now..

fanboy serious :)

-zachary

message 4: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 34 comments I just got Naama's Kiss from ebay.. it's kind of funny book. It was *really* cheap and it's in mint condition paperback (big) and it says Uncorrected Manuscript Proof on the front.

and inside it says
'This is an uncorrected manuscript proof. Do not quote for publication until verified with finished book. This readers' copy is for promotional purposes and review by the recipient and may not be used for any other purpose or transferred to any third party. Any duplication, sale or distribution to the public is a violation of law'

I haven't started reading it yet. Not sure if I should :)

So I think I'm a criminal now .. the book police are coming.. i better arm up

-z

message 5: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
I read all these and I liked the first in the series, but later it was harder for me to care as much, specifically beacause I was not into the love interest, he didn't really click for me. The stories are very interesting though.

Danielle | 54 comments Hmm. I can agree with that to an extent. I really was not into the love interest at first. My second read through I was able to get into it a lot more. I think they're definitely a lot more fun than the other ones but I do love the whole series.

message 7: by Zachary (last edited Oct 21, 2012 11:38PM) (new)

Zachary | 34 comments I've yet to get into the book.. I had gone out on a ride with my dog vinny and a bottle of vino and a nice bit of chicken and salad (see my strange reading habits http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... ) and I started reading and I realized I had the second book in the series .. the first one hadn't shown up yet. So I was miles away and stuck with a book I couldn't read (I HATE reading out of order).. so me and the dog just went mushroom hunting instead. Got a few lobsters and late chanterelles but it was annoying .. i was primed to read a new series but got chumped by bringing the wrong book :(

mushrooms were good though .. so now it's raining all the time and haven't had the time to open up the first one beyond just figuring out I have an illegal copy and am now a criminal. I hope to get to it this week when the weather breaks a bit

take care
-zachary

Danielle | 54 comments Haha well I'm sure you're only an accidental criminal :P but that really does suck. Hopefully you can get a proper copy of the first book soon heh.

Candice Nunu (nunu_noodles) | 88 comments I really liked the story line, but I enjoyed Phedres journey much more.
In saying that, it was great to see the world I'd grown to love, but developed into so much more than what we'd seen so far. I'm amazed there was any parts left untouched!

message 10: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 49 comments I LOVED this series. I really can't say which I loved more Phedre or Moirin. I did love both women more than the ones with Imril. I do think Moirin's books are far enough removed that we could read them for the book club and anyone who hadn't read the first 6 would be okay.

message 11: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 34 comments I'm up to chapter 19 tonight .. I do like the character Moirin .. it's early yet but I'm liking this book so far. I liked the part about how she was gathering mushrooms .. I live in the boonies like her so I could sympathize when it comes to going into the city and gawking at stop lights etc. The thing that really stands out is the quality of the writing. Jacqueline Carey is a freaking genius

message 12: by Zachary (last edited Oct 28, 2012 09:02PM) (new)

Zachary | 34 comments I too enjoyed the Kushiel books more (so far) -- in a lot of ways I think it was how much effort went into the first book building the world. I suffered SUFFERED! learning all those damn families and names and duc so and so .. which totally paid off eventually

In the Naamah books with Morin so much of that history is implied known, so even though there are other countries involved you go in with having already known the world she lives in.

So while the story itself is great and I like the characters, I think -- for me -- the struggle and understanding of the world fleshed out in the Kushiel books made those more endearing. The suffering through all those names and people in such dense text .. made them all the more interesting once they came to light

So the joy of discovering a well developed world for the first time is what makes the first books so great. The others, though great in themselves, lack that initial lust -- the difference between two new lovers embracing for the first time and those that share knowing each other so well over the years. Both things are beautiful but not the same :)

dig?

-zachary

message 13: by Sadi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sadi (mobats4ever) | 13 comments I loved them as much as the original six. I might have even loved some of the characters more because it was just a different world and a different time. I think I am one of the few people who realized how much time had changed and she changed the naming trends with the times to match the own in our world so it makes sense. I do believe you have to read the first six before you read these since they are not stand alone since there are references to the characters in the first books it just makes some bits easier to understand.