The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games question

Have any of you noticed the similarities between Panem and ancient Rome?
Lauren Lauren Oct 04, 2012 05:35PM
Hunger games=gladiator fights, an absolute dictator with several enemies, Panem=Latin for bread, enormous difference between social classes, characters with Roman names, and rich people making themselves throw up at a party so they could eat more are the ones that I have found. Let's discuss these and any others that y'all have found?

suzanne collins said she took some ideas from the romans so thats why their are similarities

I guess I do I never really thought about it before but you are right they do have a few similarities

deleted member Oct 06, 2012 09:03PM   0 votes
Quite related to Greek mythology, too. The story of Theseus and the Minotaur features the prisoner of Athens to send seven young ladies and seven young men to a maze, containing the Minotaur. If they do not reach the end of the maze, they will be fed to the Minotaur.

I certainly see parallels with Ancient Rome but of course also with any empire that is losing its grip and flails about, desperate to find any means of hanging on to control. Usually through favours to a small number of allies and fear for everyone else.

Suzanne Collins took a lot of the central ideas of the Hunger Games from the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. There's a good book on the my called "The King Must Die" which draws a lot of parallels to the Hunger Games. To any of the die-hard Hunger Games fans out there, I highly suggest reading it. It was worth my while.

I noticed that too, Also if someone didn't perform quite well then they would be killed i.e. Seneca Crane

She also uses a lot of Roman names- Caesar, Brutus, Cato, Flauvius, just to name a few.

Makes sense really - after the nuclear way the world is reduced to a way of life from ancient times - but with the technology of the future 'the games' became somewhat updated.

Yes, Suzanne in an interview said she got the idea from watching the history channel on Ancient Rome.

(Suzanne is the author)

They're similar in some ways, but there are a lot of major differences that made the Hunger Games unbelievable to me.

Most importantly, Roman slaves were only sent to the arena if they committed a crime, and slaves could be freed if they were skilled or educated enough. This gave a sense of fairness and justice, so the slaves were less likely to rebel. It put the blame and responsibility on them, not the dictators. In the Hunger Games the "slaves" in the districts were chosen at random to go to the games. There was no way to free yourself to the capitol. On top of that, children were deliberately sent to be killed, which only served to enrage the district and heighten their sense of injustice and their will to rebel.

Also, Roman slaves made up about 35% of the population, and they were separated from each other so they couldn't easily organize and rebel. Its not clear how large the districts are compared to the capitol, but they must make up way more than 50% of the population. Each district lives together, so it's very easy to organize rebellion, strikes, etc. as we see in the later books. Especially when they control all of the resources the Capitol needs. The society simply isn't stable, and there's no way it could have survived in it's current state for 100 years as the books say it did.

Helen Stevens That's why it's science FICTION :)
Oct 08, 2012 02:37PM
Danielle The districts couldn't communicate with each other, but they still made their own community with very little enforcement. It sounds like there are onl ...more
Oct 08, 2012 07:27PM

Yes, Little Boots would have been very happy there