Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Whedon's Dollhouse On Friday...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 11, 2009 07:29AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So Josh Whedon's Dollhouse starts Friday night. Set your DVRs...here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwPpf...

You going to watch? I will, but my hopes aren't too high...I'm a huge Buffy fan but Firefly/Serenity was "eh" and I can't help but think the worship has gone to Mr. W.'s head. But I'm gonna watch.

message 2: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments My hopes are pretty high. I have a feeling it'll be worthwhile if only because of two elements: Elisha and Dushku.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah it seems like if Charlie's Angels and The Matrix had a baby

message 4: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 11, 2009 07:29AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ah...I'm with you on that, Kirk...

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm with you on Mr. Whedon. When Whedon fanboys walk around with shirts saying "I'm Joss Whedon's Bitch," it's hard not to see how all that adoration has made him an egomaniac.

Still, Dollhouse does seem somewhat strong, unlike Firefly, which seemed unfocused.

I love the Grindhouse-style ads FOX has been running for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Dollhouse. Plus having Summer Glau AND Eliza Dushku hosting Friday night is a geek's wet dream come true.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I think this whole thread is in a language I do not currently speak.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I want to see Dollhouse, but I'm going to see Sarah Vowell on Friday, so I may have to tape it.

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments Okay, first of all, I wasn't aware of any new Whedon anything, which is REALLY uspetting to me, and a sign of just how out of the loop I am right now. I knew I was, but jeez... See, I never got cable hooked up in this latest apartment of mine, so anything tv-related in particular is more or less not on the menu for me :( I'll see it eventually, though.

What's ALSO upsetting to me, though, is the Firefly bashing going on here. Come on, people, I mean... unfocused? Okay, so it couldn't QUITE decide if it wanted to be character-driven, theme-driven or plot-driven... okay, so you get a little of the best of all worlds. Honestly, the first time I tried to get into it, I couldn't. I just needed to sit through a couple episodes to get hooked.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I didn't care for Firefly, but, oddly enough, Serenity did more for me in 2 hours than what Firefly did for a whole season.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Well...maybe I would have liked Firefly/Serenity more if it hadn't followed Buffy...tough comparison to face...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've heard that Firefly is better on DVD. The network messed with the order of episodes, and dropped a few entirely.
Not that I need another box set of Whedon material to obsess over. Buffy is quite enough, thank you.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Oh, dear.
My imaginary friends(that's what I call you guys in my head) also love Buffy...
I am so happy I could cry.

message 13: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Hmmm, I'll have to decide if my boycott of Fox is worth sacrificing to watch this one.

Apparently I am of the teeny minority who hated Buffy (but the original movie rocked!) and loved Firefly/Serenity. If this one is more like the latter it might be worth it.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I watched this morning, and I have to tell you, I thought the first episode was excellent. I'm looking forward to it...more after other people's opinions are heard:)

message 15: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I missed it last night but watched it this a.m. on Fox on Demand, too. I liked it; I sorta felt rushed into things, though. If I hadn't known the premise I think I'd'a been lost. That said, supposedly this was Episode 2, not the pilot that explains things. So I'll keep watching.

Needless to say, Elisha Dushku was her usual Dushkutessenceness.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did they already play the pilot? Did I miss it? Damn.

message 17: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments With this, Terminator, and BSG all playing on Friday night, it's as if television were trying to say something about the typical nerds night life. Were I not so excited about all of those shows even existing, I'd likely take issue with it.

message 18: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments How do you pronounce Dushkutessenceness?

message 19: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments That same thought occurred to me last night, Logan.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I caught up with both episodes on Hulu. I'm a little bothered by the sex slave aspect...I thought it would be a more diverse clientele. And I've heard that Fox is already screwing around with it, refusing the pilot and airing it out of order (and on Friday night, where they killed wonderful Firefly). Eliza Dushku has said to stick with it through six episodes. The sixth is written by Whedon and she said by then it should hit its stride.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The 2nd episode was only ok. My wife said that Ms. Dushku always plays the same type of character...she has a point, I'm afraid. I read a comment somewhere from a person who said, "If I didn't know this was Whedon's work, I would have stopped watching already." That person has a point, too. I'll stick with it through at least six, thanks for the trip, Sarah...

Oh, I'm glad Amy Acker (Fred from "Angel") is on the show, too. She's dreamy.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was happy to see Amy Acker too.
I liked the two twists in the second episode. I didn't expect either of them.
I think it's true that Ms. Dushku plays a certain character well...she's considerably less cute when she's wandering around staring blankly, as compared to when she's being badass. I loved the "Four brothers. None of them Democrats," explanation when asked if she could handle a gun.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, that was the best line of the episode, I agree...

Have you noticed some of the similarities (I don't want to give too much away here for people who haven't seen it) between Echo and another character and the Giles/Buffy relationship?

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes. And I think that other character is probably the most likeable character so far, since he's presented with doubts. The scientist kid seems the most likely to dish out Andrew-style geekery, but I find him somewhat icky due to his line of work; he's more of a Warren, in my book.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The full Dushku interview on the AVClub today included this:

AVC: It isn’t like Joss is some new kid on the block, though. He has a lot of shows under his belt, and he’s got this large cult following. Is it frustrating when you get that kind of feedback[Fox ordering the pilot to be reshot:]?

ED: Honestly, yes. I understand it from a business perspective, and from Fox’s view, but at the same time, we’ve now done 13 episodes, and people have said that the show took off once they finally realized that Joss is best off left alone to do his thing. That happens around episode six—six through 13 are just extraordinary. I love one, two, three, four, and five, but Joss’ first script that he did after the pilot is number six, which is called “Man On The Street,” and it is just unbelievable. From that point on, the world unfolds in Joss’ way, with Joss’ speed, and it’s really remarkable.

AVC: Are you biting your nails in the interim? There are still a few more weeks before that episode airs.

ED: I think it’s going to be important for Fox and for us to really push that message. Every show needs time to grow, and it’s really difficult to set up a show, especially one with such a complicated, complex premise, that’s so multi-dimensional. We wanted—and Fox also wanted—the first six episodes to be episodes people could pick up and understand what was going on even if they were late getting to the party, which I agree with. So the first six episodes are more self-contained. But once we sort of hit that place where the show takes off, I think it’s going to be important to send some screener copies back out there to some of the reviewers that maybe didn’t jump on board the first time around, or some of the diehard Joss fans that felt they were missing his voice in some of the first shows. Because his voice is back, and it’s loud, and it’s as exciting as ever once we get rolling.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Having read that explanation, I'm definitely inclined to stick around. I had heard that episode six was where it got good, but I couldn't figure out why they would wait that long. That answer makes sense -- make the first few episodes easy jumping-on points, before starting the serial stuff.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I can't wait until Echo has more self-determination. What I figure is going to happen is she's going to regain her memory, and be REALLY PISSED. That'll be fun!

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've watched the first three episodes and I'm only mildly impressed. The characters seem a bit stock, and if you've watched any of the other Whedon shows, you (or at least I) feel like I've watched this before. We'll see.

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Last night was episode six, "Man on the Street", written by Whedon. I think the show is getting stronger, but I'm still not totally drawn into the world, so to speak. But last night's episode raised some interesting possibilities...I don't want to say more lest I reveal spoilers:)

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I thought it was pretty good.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, next week is the season finale. I've seen all the episodes but one. They've kept things moving well, but I hear cancellation is imminent, and that might not be a bad thing. You know how some stories can't sustain over multiple seasons? This might be one of them. We'll see.

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita | 28 comments I'm really looking forward to the finale. I think it has finally hit its stride-- although too little too late apparently. I was skeptical at first but the characters really began to grow on me and the mythology was just beginning to gel. Now that i'm really into it, it's probably ending for good. sigh. It has been an interesting ride, to be sure. Oh, and Alpha - wow! I knew he was coming and I was not disappointed.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was SO surprised! I thought that episode was worth the whole season.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I have to agree...the Alpha thing totally surprised me...

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments SPOILER BELOW

Dude, Alan Tudyk is RIPPED. Did you see the movie Death At A Funeral? He was naked for half of that movie, and I can tell you he was not in the shape he was when he put on Dollhouse clothes.
I was completely and totally surprised. I'm glad I made sure not to read any speculation. That was way better as a surprise.

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wasn't he in Rent, too? I thought the same thing...dude's been workin' out...

message 37: by Heidi (last edited May 04, 2009 10:30AM) (new)

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments He made a great pirate in Dodgeball, too...

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I first noticed him in 28 Days, the Sandra Bullock rehab movie, as Gerhardt. I had to do a double take when I realized "the German guy" was Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball. I truly thought he was German. And not long after that, I spotted him AGAIN in A Knight's Tale (which I refused to see in the movie theatre and protested because the music/soundtrack was anachronistic... when I finally caved in, I really enjoyed it).

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Have you seen Death at a Funeral?

message 41: by Heidi (last edited May 04, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Yes (post 606). I loved that performance as much as I've loved all the others.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I re-watched it the other night when my family was in town. I think it was even funnier than the first time.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I agree, Sarah. I'm sure I watched it at least 5 times during the week that I had it.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Surprise, surprise! Dollhouse has been renewed for 13 more episodes.

http://tvdramas.about.com/b/2009/05/1...

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have never seen this.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jackie! That's awesome! Thanks for the good news! Worth several exclamation points.
And now to bed.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jackie! That's awesome! Thanks for the good news! Worth several exclamation points.
And now to bed.

ps Chuck apparently got renewed too - good news all around for fans of geeky shows.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments He's not in it until the last two episodes, Bun. But the episodes do grow in quality starting with number 6, though they are uneven.

I like the reviews of Dollhouse I found on this blog, Let's Fold Scarves (she also reviews Buffy episodes) a lot. They start at the bottom of the page, and work up:
http://www.moley75.co.uk/category/dol...

message 49: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wow, I'm kind of surprised the show was reviewed, honestly...thanks, Jacks.

The finale was muddled...you could tell they weren't sure if it was a series or season finale.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments BunWat wrote: "Well they could hardly decline in quality from the first four unless they were going to become completely incoherent and just consist of people running from place to place and changing clothes whil..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

While that might improve ratings, that is not what I'm looking for in a Joss Whedon show, Bun!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.