The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > Court Rules Severely Disabled Woman Wasn't Raped Because She Didn't 'Bite, Kick or Scratch' Her Assailant

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In a 4-3 ruling Tuesday afternoon, the Connecticut State Supreme Court overturned the sexual assault conviction of a man who had sex with a woman who “has severe cerebral palsy, has the intellectual functional equivalent of a 3-year-old and cannot verbally communicate.” The Court held that, because Connecticut statutes define physical incapacity for the purpose of sexual assault as “unconscious or for any other reason. . . physically unable to communicate unwillingness to an act,” the defendant could not be convicted if there was any chance that the victim could have communicated her lack of consent. Since the victim in this case was capable of “biting, kicking, scratching, screeching, groaning or gesturing,” the Court ruled that that victim could have communicated lack of consent despite her serious mental deficiencies.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberti...

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I would hope this is going to a higher court as this court seems to be the one with the serious mental deficiencies.

message 3: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments our entire legal/political system seems determined to send women back to the 17th century (or farther.) next thing you know, victims will be forced to marry their rapists, carry the child to delivery, and become a happy family.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I think women are the biggest minority group.

message 5: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments we are certainly under-represented, that's for sure.

i work at a university and one of the saddest things i ever heard there was when two students were talking and one; a very together, intelligent, engaged woman, said "women's lib? what's that?" i know it's not fashionable and that few people call themselves feminists any more, but 'women's lib' is not something that's been achieved. we need to keep working at it all the time. unfortunately, many have become too complacent.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling On the flip side you have the traditional divide and conquer keeping women apart making it difficult to build up any long lasting efforts.