Trekkie Federation discussion

Conflicted > Relationships

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin, Chief Engineer (new)

Erin (smilyfaceflipper) | 31 comments Mod
Isn't anyone gonna mention the huge shift in relationships between crew after Gene was gone? That totally shook the foundation. Whose in favor? Who's against. ;)

message 2: by Thais (new)

Thais (perspektivo) How do you mean?

I'm in favor(YES!) of relationships between crew members, and seasons 5, 6 and 7 of TNG had more interesting stories than previously, IMO. But ST producers don't seem to be very keen on letting the characters be happy in love (with the exception of Imzadi, if we count the movies).

message 3: by Erin, Chief Engineer (new)

Yep, you answered it. That's exactly what I mean. I mean that Gene had strict rules about how involved two crew members could become. After his death, that rule was politely set aside. I was wanting to know if you were a fan of Gene's rule or not.

You're right Thais. It does seem that one a relationship forms it's doomed in one way or another. Maybe that was their answer to Gene's rule.

message 4: by Thais (last edited Oct 11, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

Thais (perspektivo) I'm definitely not a fan of that rule. I know that some people may feel that a personal relationship would "rob" the show of onscreen time that would otherwise be spent with action sequences. I, on the contrary, believe that any show becomes a lot more interesting once we get to know the characters and see their interactions. It adds depth, IMO, to the exploring/battling part of the show.

Plus, it makes them more human. Everybody in Starfleet is so perfect. They can do everything well. Doctors can command ships, Engineers can fight, Captains are nothing short of gods.

What better way to make the audience relate to them then showing that they, too, have to deal with emotions such as fear and love?

On a side note: I know that Battlestar Galactica was very melodramatic, sort of like a soap set in space. But it still managed to have very interesting science-fiction/action plots.

message 5: by Hattie (new)

Hattie (Hattie-Mae) | 11 comments Ok, at this point, I'm going to be the opposition in this debate and say that I total in support of the Gene rule.
Personally I think the Original Series and Next Generation contained a stronger element of idealism than the other three did. With few personal relationships being shown, you regarded the ship as a whole entity and not by its members. This , in my opinion, is why I think the classics are timeless. Any reality or drama series can show two people falling in love and sacrificing their career for each-other, and I think this is where Star Trek drifted to after Gene left. The series became more media orientated, and contained less moral lessons per episode.
To me Gene brought a higher sense of discipline and service to Star-fleet, and brought a higher sense of respect in-between its crew members and for Star-fleet itself

message 6: by Erin, Chief Engineer (new)

I'm going to cast my vote in favor of the Gene Rule as well. Because of ignoring this rule perfectly good Trek series's were laid to waste. Might as well tie a rope around the proverbial neck and drag the series behind a speeding train. Need some examples? Warf and Troy... T'Pol and Trip...
The tension of possibly succumbing to an obvious connection between to characters is what helped deepen person to character connections. The genius of Gene's vision is just reduced to being akin to some teenage mellow-drama.

message 7: by Erin, Chief Engineer (new)

two*

message 8: by Thais (new)

Thais (perspektivo) I would have been happy with the middle ground between the Gene Rule and that obvious scene between T'Pol and Trip in ENT S01E01.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Apr 11, 2017 03:46PM) (new)

Sarah Baker | 16 comments I'm in favor of Gene's rule to a certain degree. In some cases, love is too high a priority and can get in the way of directives and in other cases the love is perfect yet disciplined enough to last. In TOS Captain Kirk was mostly the top romancer and it always didn't seem to work out in the end; he always had to leave a woman behind. And most of the time the woman stayed behind because lets be honest us ladies shouldn't always have to give up our lifestyles for men. Even though to tear away a Captain from his crew is pretty drastic. Anyways I'm saying that Gene made the love stories to be disciplined and correct and in a sense of family. Like almost if Captain Kirk did marry someone, she would have to get along with the Enterprise as well. Like getting two grooms. Be nice to the Enterprise, dear. I kind of liked the idea that TOS was more mission-focused instead of relationship-focused. Because there are plenty of other shows to watch for love dramas, and love triangles. I felt that Gene's rule made it possible for the mission to "explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before" become more alive and more reachable. I feel that the mission became desirable and serious when the crew wasn't so focused on personal relationships.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Baker | 16 comments I'm curious about how would Spock and T'pol do as a couple?