Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > November/December Nominations

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments During the months of November and December (oh my!) we have two challenges running.

Challenge 1: Young Adult - this can be any young adult novel; old/new, NZ/world, first in a series...

Challenge 2: Around the World - please nominate a book from a country beginning with 'M'. As usual, I will post a list of these countries. The book can be set in the country or well-known to that country, or by an author from that country.

Nominations to be in by 15 October please.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments Countries beginning with M:

Macau
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marshall Islands
Martinique
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mayotte
Mexico
Micronesia, Federated States of
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Montserrat
Morocco
Mozambique

Please let me know if I have left any off the list!

message 3: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenesays) | 510 comments Mod
There are so many books to choose from. I would like to nominate Telesa - The Covenant Keeper for the YA category

message 4: by Kathleen (last edited Oct 04, 2012 07:16PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1404 comments Doing a little look-around for novels set in any of these places, and found one for Macau - The Color of Tea: A Novel - and an NZ author at that.
The Color of Tea A Novel by Hannah Tunnicliffe

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments Kathleen wrote: "Doing a little look-around for novels set in any of these places, and found one for Macau - The Color of Tea: A Novel - and an NZ author at that.
The Color of Tea A Novel by Hannah Tunnicliffe"

Sounds lovely. Good finding!

message 6: by Angie (last edited Oct 04, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments It didn't take long to stumble upon a couple of books for the country beginning with M challenge...

The Tenth Gift (Morocco) and Like Water for Chocolate (Mexico)

The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1537 comments Bother. I had found The Tenth Gift too. Both this and Kathleen's from Macau look really good.

I also found this YA set in Martinique Mystery of the Island Jewels by Joyce A. Stengel
Could be fun to do a YA from an M country too.

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments My YA nomination is Make Lemonade.

Make Lemonade (Make Lemonade, #1) by Virginia Euwer Wolff

message 9: by Jo (last edited Oct 08, 2012 01:07AM) (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) | 53 comments I'd like to nominate 'The Hummingbird's Daughter' The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea for Mexico.

And for YA, one of my favourites, 'Before I Die' Before I Die by Jenny Downham a beautifully poignant book which makes you really appreciate life (and also makes you cry!).

message 10: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1537 comments I nominate a book from Malawi which is one of the neighbouring countries to where my sponsor child lives.

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba

message 11: by Kerry (last edited Oct 08, 2012 07:58PM) (new)

Kerry | 65 comments NZer Ken Catran has a good historical YA set in Malaysia that was published this year, Earth Dragon Fire Hare. I've already read it so won't nominate it, just want to raise awareness.
Earth Dragon Fire Hare by Ken Catran
My YA nomination will be Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

and from Mexico The Power and the Glory by Grahame Greene
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Moroccan author Tahar ben Jelloun
The Sand Child
The Sand Child by Tahar Ben Jelloun

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments Nominations close tomorrow evening.

I'm going to throw another YA book into the mix...

The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

I've been meaning to read this one for years!

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) | 53 comments Nice one, Angie :-)

message 15: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 997 comments I'd like to offer Tuesdays at the Castle as a YA nomination. Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower #1) by Jessica Day George.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments Jo wrote: "Nice one, Angie :-)"

How is your book getting on, Jo. I still think about it. So clever. I can't wait for BLK to read it!

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Danilo (jodanilo) | 53 comments Thanks for asking, Angie. I've got a few rejections under my belt now. One agent kept it for seven months before deciding not to take it, so, politely, I didn't submit to anyone else in that time. Sod that now - when I get a mo it's going out to everyone at once!