Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Private Profiles and Requests to Join Private Groups

Comments (showing 1-50 of 54) (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Summer (new)

Summer | 8 comments I would like to suggest that when a moderator for a private group gets a request to join the group, if the member requesting to join has a private profile that moderators can look at the profile without having to be friends with the member. I know the member's profile link is sent to the mod in the request e-mail and maybe there could be some kind of 'override' that it will show the member's entire profile. There could be a notice to the joining member when they join a group that the mods will be able to view their profile when joining.

There have recently been some questionable people requesting to join some of the erotic book groups thinking they are dating groups and looking for a hookup instead of wanting to talk about BOOKS (which is what the group is for).

nd ♥ kitten ♥ (ndkitten) | 8 comments i like this suggestion, Summer. When a member with a private profile wants to join my group, i have to friend them first, which i don't really like doing.

Any help for the moderators, in order to keep our group members safe from some of these questionable people, will be greatly appreciated.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Dunellen (heabdsm) | 2 comments As a new moderator in one of the related groups, I would like to urge this suggestion be implemented.

message 4: by Witchie (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments I think this is a fabulous idea. There is no way to know who is really trying to join your group when the profile is private, and we have gotten more than our fair share of nutcases harassing members in the past couple of weeks.

message 5: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (Agent99formerlykd) Agreed! I would like for this suggestion to be implemented as well. I don't like to have to "friend" every potential member with a private profile.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments That is an excellent suggestion Summer! I would love to see this feature for mods.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie  (AnniePerkyMonkey-Buns) | 12 comments I agree. It would also be nice for the person requesting to join the group to not have to change their profile settings.

message 8: by Rosebud (new)

Rosebud (Rosebuds) | 59 comments I don't admit anyone to my group until/unless they open their profile. sometimes they do it by friending me which I really don't like so ya an override would be and should be available to anyone applying to a private/adult only group.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments I agree completely.

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments This makes some sort of sense from the point-of-view of the private profilee as well. But it would have to be a limited-time ability, say up until the time that the application is approved/denied. If someone wants a private profile then they won't want someone to have full-time access to their profile.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments Banjomike wrote: "This makes some sort of sense from the point-of-view of the private profilee as well. But it would have to be a limited-time ability, say up until the time that the application is approved/denied...."

Yes, I agree.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments Banjomike wrote: "This makes some sort of sense from the point-of-view of the private profilee as well. But it would have to be a limited-time ability, say up until the time that the application is approved/denied...."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is how friend requests are done, isn't it? The requestee has access to view the private profile of the requester until they accept or deny the request.

message 13: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments Great idea!

message 14: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments Becky wrote: "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is how friend requests are done, isn't it? The requestee has access to view the private profile of the requester until they accept or deny the request. "

I can't answer that because I never use the facility.

message 15: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments That is presuming that the person wanted to have a private profile, ie. has control over the status of it. What about those who because of age have to have a private profile and have no 'legal' way of allowing anyone but a friend access?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments Petra X wrote: "That is presuming that the person wanted to have a private profile, ie. has control over the status of it. What about those who because of age have to have a private profile and have no 'legal' way..."

I didn't realize that some people don't have control over their profile being private or public - can you explain this a little more?

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments Banjomike wrote: "Becky wrote: "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is how friend requests are done, isn't it? The requestee has access to view the private profile of the requester until they accept or de..."

Well, there's an easy way to test... would someone who has a private profile want to send a friend request as a test?

message 18: by Witchie (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments I think minors automatically have a private profile. That's assuming they don't just say they are older than they actually are though.

nd ♥ kitten ♥ (ndkitten) | 8 comments Bitchie wrote: "I think minors automatically have a private profile. That's assuming they don't just say they are older than they actually are though."

i didn't know that.. also, i've been wondering this for a while, can a person, underage, actually *see* and/or even request to join an adult group? Are they blocked somehow from seeing the 18+ groups?

message 20: by Rosebud (new)

Rosebud (Rosebuds) | 59 comments I've had underage people try to join my adult only private group. and yes there profiles were private.

message 21: by I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (last edited Oct 04, 2012 01:59PM) (new)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments well, this conversation started specifically because of issues in erotic groups, so that would be fine for us, but maybe a way around that would be that if we have an 18 or older age restriction on the group then either they

a) not even be allowed to request membership

b) their age restriction will override the requested feature and their profile would remain private.

message 22: by Agent 99 (last edited Oct 04, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

Agent 99  (Agent99formerlykd) That would work Bookie. If the limited access were granted for adults, than the fact that the profile remains private would let us know that it's a minor asking for entry. So it would actually work as double protection.

message 23: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 999 comments There is no way, that I know of, to confirm the age of someone on Goodreads.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments Banjomike wrote: "There is no way, that I know of, to confirm the age of someone on Goodreads."

well, if their profile is forced to be private - as they are indicating above, then that is at least a way for us to know it is a GR member under the age of 18.

message 25: by Daisy Sloan (new)

Daisy Sloan | 9 comments I wholeheartedly support this idea. I have been the target of one of these individuals and sent a questionable email. Having this ability would have helped prevent this person from getting into our groups and targeting members.

message 26: by Laima (new)

Laima | 124 comments Becky wrote: "Banjomike wrote: "Becky wrote: "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is how friend requests are done, isn't it? The requestee has access to view the private profile of the requester until..."

Hi becky, ok i sent you a request to see if it works

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments Thanks Laima, I can see your profile, so it seems that I was right. If a member has a private profile and friend requests someone, the other person can see their profile.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 751 comments Becky wrote: "Thanks Laima, I can see your profile, so it seems that I was right. If a member has a private profile and friend requests someone, the other person can see their profile."

so then it should be something they can do for groups too.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments I think so. I hope so. :)

message 30: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (Agent99formerlykd) I don't see why it shouldn't work. It adds a level of protection to both the groups and the members!

Also adds a level of protection to underage members who might want to join a private group.

I don't see this as anything but a win, win situation.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments I agree with this enhancement request. Since the group I help co-mod is over 18, those under 18 shouldn't be apply anyway. It clearly states 18 and over only.

Regarding those who are under 18. Their profile is not auto private. They can make it private and they are supposed to do so. That is what I've been told.

Regardless, it would help greatly for moderators. I see this as the same enhancement for friends request. It used to be the private profile was still private when a person requested to be your friend. Now we can see their profile until after we deny their request. As soon as it's been denied, the person becomes private again. When accepted they become visible.

In this instance, it should go back to private be it accepted or denied.

message 32: by Petra X (last edited Oct 04, 2012 09:01PM) (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments ♆ BookAddict wrote: "Regarding those who are under 18. Their profile is not auto private. They can make it private and they are supposed to do so. That is what I've been told. "

If they fill in an under-18 birthdate, then Goodreads automatically sets their profile to private.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Msg. 4 from Otis.

message 33: by Sheila (new)

Sheila  | 575 comments Can I be the one person who says I would prefer this not to happen?

I have a private profile, and I have no problem with my profile becoming visable to someone if I sent them a friend request. The reason this doesn't bother me is because if they accept my request they will be able to see my profile anyway. I am voluntarily giving them access to my profile. It is my chosing.

But I may not want to have my profile be visable to some unknown moderator on a group I may be interested in. Some groups also have multiple moderators. Would ALL the moderators be able to view my profile? Something like this would make me hesitant to join private groups.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments Sheila wrote: "Can I be the one person who says I would prefer this not to happen?

I have a private profile, and I have no problem with my profile becoming visable to someone if I sent them a friend request. The reason this doesn't bother me is because if they accept my request they will be able to see my profile anyway. I am voluntarily giving them access to my profile. It is my chosing.

But I may not want to have my profile be visable to some unknown moderator on a group I may be interested in. Some groups also have multiple moderators. Would ALL the moderators be able to view my profile? Something like this would make me hesitant to join private groups. "

I think it would be for all moderators of that group. You do realize that we are requesting for limited access and that once accepted, you would go back to private, right?

message 35: by Ridley (new)

Ridley | 278 comments Sheila wrote: "But I may not want to have my profile be visable to some unknown moderator on a group I may be interested in. Some groups also have multiple moderators. Would ALL the moderators be able to view my profile? Something like this would make me hesitant to join private groups. "

While I think your concern makes sense, I don't find it a compelling reason not to implement this. It's a good argument for those wary of sharing themselves to avoid private groups with mods they don't know.

message 36: by Witchie (last edited Mar 24, 2015 06:54PM) (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments I'm bumping this question, since I mod two groups, and I STILL have to friend a person with a private profile requesting to join my groups to check their profile. If sending a FR allows someone to view a member's profile, I don't see why a mod wouldn't be able to view the profile of a person requesting to join a group. It would be particularly useful if we could click the profile link in the email, and view the profile from there, but nowhere else.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments Bitchie *Bored Now* wrote: "I'm bumping this question, since I mod two groups, and I STILL have to friend a person with a private profile requesting to join my groups to check their profile. If sending a FR allows someone to ..."

I second this motion.

message 38: by Aerulan (last edited Mar 25, 2015 04:57PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1083 comments Bitchie *Bored Now* wrote: "I'm bumping this question, since I mod two groups, and I STILL have to friend a person with a private profile requesting to join my groups to check their profile. If sending a FR allows someone to ..."

I'll +1 this excellent suggestion. I've got my account set to private, but I'd be totally ok with this happening when I ask to join a private group.

ETA the private groups I've joined all requested people asking to join either go off private long enough for the mods to vet them or to friend a mod for the same reason. Which seemed perfectly reasonable, this would just make that process simpler and easier on the mods.

There could be a note when you click to join a private group with a private profile to let you know mods will have temporary and limited access to your profile until you are approved for membership and do you want to continue y/n? kind of thing.

nd ♥ kitten ♥ (ndkitten) | 8 comments Bitchie *Bored Now* wrote: "I'm bumping this question, since I mod two groups, and I STILL have to friend a person with a private profile requesting to join my groups to check their profile. If sending a FR allows someone to ..."

This would be so helpful!

message 40: by Witchie (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments Indeed, but I bet this thread just drops back down into obscurity, without a word from site staff.

message 41: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (meghankrogh) Can you all enumerate specifically what information you'd like to have about the members applying to your private groups before approving them? I wonder if there's a way we could show a limited view of the profile that still preserves member privacy while allowing you to make an educated decision about membership approval requests.

message 42: by Witchie (last edited Mar 25, 2015 12:54PM) (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments I would personally like to know what other groups a person is a member of, as well as their comments. I don't care about where they are from, age, all that stuff. (so long as they are an adult)

What I want to make sure of is that the person participates as a reader, not a spammer, and that they don't cause trouble in the groups they are in, which you can see when you check their groups and posts in those groups.

ETA: and as Carolina pointed out, knowing what kind of books they read is also helpful. As I mod a romance group with the focus on the more erotic type, it helps to know if a person has any of that type of book, and that they don't read all, say, Christian Romance, etc.

message 43: by Caroline (last edited Mar 25, 2015 12:09PM) (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) | 94 comments Bitchie *Bored Now* wrote: "I would personally like to know what other groups a person is a member of, as well as their comments. I don't care about where they are from, age, all that stuff. (so long as they are an adult)

What I want to make sure of is that the person participates as a reader, not a spammer, and that they don't cause trouble in the groups they are in, which you can see when you check their groups and posts in those groups."

+1 to this. This is crucial, and I always check it.

For me, though, I also really do need to see what kinds of books they like to read (and have read), because this is important to know whether they're going to mesh with the others in the group and will be able to discuss with us actively.

That's really it.

message 44: by Therinia (new)

Therinia  (Therinia) | 34 comments Caroline wrote: "For me, though, I also really do need to see what kinds of books they like to read (and have read), because this is important to know whether they're going to mesh with the others in the group and will be able to discuss with us actively.
."

Definitely this.

And this:

Bitchie *Bored Now* wrote: "I would personally like to know what other groups a person is a member of, as well as their comments. I don't care about where they are from, age, all that stuff. (so long as they are an adult)

What I want to make sure of is that the person participates as a reader, not a spammer, and that they don't cause trouble in the groups they are in, which you can see when you check their groups and posts in those groups. ."

message 45: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Mar 25, 2015 12:25PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (Karma_Bites) | 658 comments Caroline wrote: "...For me, though, I also really do need to see what kinds of books they like to read (and have read), because this is important to know whether they're going to mesh with the others in the group and will be able to discuss with us actively."

Yes! In addition to Bitchie's post #42, Caroline raises an excellent point.

ETA: I *thought* that a mod's ability to temporarily view a private profile was instituted at some point (solely via link in notice re: membership request). But if so, that fuction has since disappeared.

message 46: by Witchie (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Caroline wrote: "...For me, though, I also really do need to see what kinds of books they like to read (and have read), because this is important to know whether they're going to mesh with the oth..."

I added that to my post, it is a HUGE help to know what type of books they read. If all they have on their shelves are, say, YA/kids books, that's a nice flag, that perhaps this person either lied about their age to get access, or just doesn't read the type of books our group reads.

message 47: by ♕ ❤ ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (last edited Mar 25, 2015 04:45PM) (new)

♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (Marilyngoodreadscom) | 19 comments I only had a couple of requests and their profiles were private. As I like to check the profiles first I sent friend requests, they accepted.
When we were on the Amazon forums there were a few nasty trolls, so this is the reason I check the profile first. Obviously I don't tell them this is the reason. I do feel awkward about sending the request, but unless I see the profile it makes me feel uncomfortable., and I have to protect my members.
If the person doesn't accept the request, to me it could mean they're dodgy, then again it could mean they're conscious of showing their profile, but if they have nothing to hide they'll accept the request, then go back to private if they wanted to.

♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (Marilyngoodreadscom) | 19 comments Bitchie *Bored Now* wrote: "I'm bumping this question, since I mod two groups, and I STILL have to friend a person with a private profile requesting to join my groups to check their profile. If sending a FR allows someone to ..."

Good idea.

message 49: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 1262 comments Meghan wrote: "Can you all enumerate specifically what information you'd like to have about the members applying to your private groups before approving them? I wonder if there's a way we could show a limited vie..."

Megan, if it helps - I have a private profile and I'd be ok with a moderator of a group being able to view my profile if I'd requested to join a private group. I think that's fair. Perhaps just a pop up disclaimer or something when clicking on the request? "In requesting to join the moderator(s) will be given access to view your profile prior to approval - Continue?" or similar.

message 50: by Witchie (new)

Witchie (Bitchie) | 605 comments Auntie J wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Can you all enumerate specifically what information you'd like to have about the members applying to your private groups before approving them? I wonder if there's a way we could sho..."

I think that's a great idea, then they have that choice of trying to join, or not because of their profile being viewable.

« previous 1