Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Do you remember......

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (BrandyNacole) | 175 comments Do you remember when you got hooked on your favorite genre?
What is your favorite genre?
How old were you?
Was it a book or movie?

Tell us about it.....

message 2: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (BrandyNacole) | 175 comments I'll start. I love all things paranormal/fantasy. I actually got hooked on this genre when I was 4. I remember the night very well. It was Halloween (haha what a coinkidink) and I was watching Interview with A Vampire. Now me and my aunt go watch every horror movie, read all the books we can, and are constantly coming up with new ideas together. I love that I not only have passion for the paranormal but its also something me and my aunt enjoy together!

message 3: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Sheri | 10873 comments Mod
I don't remember the exact book that got me hooked on horror, but I know it was R.L. Stine's Fear Street books and Christopher Pike (not the new ones, the originals from the late 80s/early 90s). From there it was on to Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc.

I love books that scare me. They are the best kind. Especially ones with creepy covers that you have to turn over or cover up before you go to sleep...I've had to do that a few times :) Funny thing is, though, I don't particularly like scary movies.

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03Tammy-Lynn) | 1316 comments Like Sheri, it was Fear Street, Christopher Pike, L. J. Smith, all from the mid to late 90's. I was in grade 9, I think so proballby 13 or 14.
I have always gravitated to the paranormal, horror side of books my mind can scare the crap out of me while I'm reading, I'm in the zone so to speak. I do enjoy historical, romance, mythology, shakespere, but I always go back to the paranormal.

message 5: by Rebecka (new)

Rebecka I don't really have a favorite genre. I like to read nearly everything. I remember reading R.L. Stine's books too, and Stephen King when I was really young... My mom's friend freaked out on her because she couldn't believe she was letting me read Stephen King so young

message 6: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (BrandyNacole) | 175 comments Sheri wrote: "I don't remember the exact book that got me hooked on horror, but I know it was R.L. Stine's Fear Street books and Christopher Pike (not the new ones, the originals from the late 80s/early 90s). F..."

That is funny! I love horror movies! I'm actually the opposite. I don't like reading hardcore horror books but prefer watching movies. I don't mind the milder horror books though.

message 7: by 爱心❤ (last edited Feb 05, 2013 10:44PM) (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments I don't think there was anything. I have loved reading for as long as I remember, and as a major cover judge, I read books I like the look of, and they tend to always be the same-ish genre. I am not a big fan of horror or modern romance, because from experience they are not usually well written. I also dislike paranormal, but that's from no reason I can discern

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer When I was a teenager I read so much fantasy my parents were worried about me (I dunno, they thought I was going to buy a sword and run off on a quest? Not sure.)Also, I remember my mom trying to take away my Stephen King books, lol.

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (TashaTurner) | 116 comments Tough questions. I remember being into books by Laura Ingalls Wilder , Trixie Belden books by Julie Campbell , and The Hobbit /LOTR by J.R.R. Tolkien at about the same time - pre-adolescence. In my early teens I got addicted to romance novels with the occasional spy/thriller thrown in. Over the last 10+ years I started reading fantasy and science fiction but don't remember which book/author started me down the path. I read a lot more non-fiction as a kid.

message 10: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I was fourteen when I saw Citizen of the Galaxy Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert A. Heinlein by Robert Heinlein in my high school library. I had already read some scifi,boring mostly, like C. S. Lewis. By the end of Heinlein's book, my outlook on the world had expanded and science became more important than mythology

message 11: by 爱心❤ (new)

爱心❤ | 256 comments Don't offend all the lovers of C.S. Lewis

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have many loves,
My first was probably fairy tales - still love them in any form. Disney was the first of course. My favorites were Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. And I'm sure that has had a strong influence on my favorite type of books to read now.
My first fantasy was a Dragonlance book. I still remember the cover and the way the cover made me feel. I had to have it. I had to know the story behind it. I can honestly say it was love at first sight. And still today is one of my favorite books. And Raistlin is still one of my most loved characters.
I also love horror. But that one is harder to remember for me. My mom is a big horror buff, my aunt is too, and it's something I have just always been surrounded by. I couldn't tell you my first horror movie - but I was a baby I know that. And I have no idea what my first book was. Though probably Stephen King - and I would have been around ten. Shhh - I'm pretty sure it would've been my mom who gave it to me too.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer I think he's allowed to have an opinion. If he doesn't like CS Lewis, he doesn't like it.

I love CS Lewis, Narnia was some of the first books I read. I still wish I had a wardrobe into a magical land in MY room...

And Traci, Stephan King at TEN? Oh MAN. I would have peed my pants! :D

message 14: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (BrandyNacole) | 175 comments Disney movies probably inspired me into the world of magic as well. Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and here recently Brave.

I agree Erin, Stephan King at 10? Brave...very brave. I didn't read my first Stephan King book until I was probably fourteen/fifteen.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol. It wasn't that bad. My first Stephan King book was Carrie. I think I read Christine and Firestarter too. I had to wait for the good stuff...
The only one I remember scaring me, like really really scaring me, was Pet Cemetary. But I read that one when I was a little older.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (MelStephensBooks) Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby got me hooked on YA Contemporary in high school
and
Divergent/HG got me hooked on Dystopians a few years back.

message 17: by Currer (new)

Currer Jean (CurrerJean) I got hooked on my favorite genre when I was about 8 years. Old. My favorite genre is paranormal and fantasy. My sister and mom aare the sci-fi and paranormal kind of girl so I grew up with The X File from my mom and Buffy the Vampire SLayer from my sister. I started off reading the spin off books for Buffy and it just hit me- yes, I like horror! I've been on a roll ever since and I'm so glad I don't have to hunt for paranormal books anymore.