We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Feminism

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm kind of a feminist... but deep end feminism really bothers me. Women who take any little thing a guy says and turn it back at them as being sexist. Of course, women and men should have all the same rights, but sometimes feminists should just calm down a little. Like the ones who were mad about that cover with Obama pulling open his shirt like Superman, with a t-shirt underneath that read Feminist... they said that they didn't need a man's help. Which is just stupid. Why wouldn't they want the help of a great president, even if he is male.

message 2: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments yeah i agree with erin on this. feminism is fine, until it hits the point where instead of making things better for women ur putting down guys, and basically just doing what you tried to get rid of
guys can definitly be feminists, people who think they cant are stupid. alot of guys really care about women but act like they dont just to seem cool

i wish there was a word for the equivilent of feminism for males that isn't "machoism" lol because i think that gives ppl the wrong idea

message 3: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments i agree too. I obviously think women and men should be equals, but those overly feminist women are just kind of sexist, really. It bothers me when, like Erin said, they take any little thing a guy says and turns it around to make them sound like they think they're better than women. Not all men think they are better than women.

message 4: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah having the genders even is good. that's fair. but overly feminism is just bing sexist in my opinion.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments there are two types of feminists

the moderate that ask for equality

the extreme that asks for superiority

now personally, on the whole equality thing, i think it's kinda ridiculous because in all honesty, i think at least 90% of woman would hate to be treated like a man (me too!) it's more like we want to be paid like an equal, we still want to be treated (to some extent) like a woman

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I consider myself a little bit of a feminist [its hard to stick to a label:], and I haven't really met any extreme feminists.

I have heard of male-rights groups and the ones I've witnessed aren't really productive... they're either bashing feminists or getting upset over little things.

I've read article on a lot of really smart feminists though [women AND men:].

Kurt Cobain considered himself a feminist.

message 7: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments diana-yeah, but we shouldn't b biased against either.

message 8: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments Diana: I agree with you. Personally, I want to be treated like an equal at work and getting paid and all that, but I still want a guy to open my door for me, or pull out my chair when I sit.

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments yups ^^

cuz a comedian was addressing that, and tis' true!

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments vivian-if a guy pulls out my chair, he gets slapped. lolz. i don't like that stuff bcuz 2 me, it seems like the gesture is saying that it's 2 hard 4 us girls 2 do it ourselves, even though it prob isn't meant that way.

message 11: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments i see your point Rachel, but I still like a guy thats a gentleman.

message 12: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments *shrug* that's ur opinion, ur entitled 2 it. lolz wrong group 2 say so but still

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments yup

im a sucker for gentlemen and plus, it means he cares (most of the time)

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments where do u live, diana?

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments i live in CA

no more than that because there are people i don't want coming to my front porch on the internet...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana- LOL

My bf opens the door for me. Sometimes it annoying, sometimes its cute.

I think it depends on the girl.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It does depend on the girl... no one should get pissed though. They are not trying to insult you, they are trying to be nice :]

message 18: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz i think that was aimed @ me

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments i don't have any love life! XP

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments me neither and i don't really want 1.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Meh, apples and 'inions.

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments huh? apples and onions r yummy!!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

YES THEY ARE!!!! But not together....

message 24: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments have u ever baked peeled and cored apples with sliced onion? c'est magnifique!!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? I'll have to try it.

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments *nods quickly* yummyyummy!!!

message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments i do eventually but until i get into high school

message 28: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments lolz ur gonna have 2 get 1 fast in high school, lots of competition....

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana  (Higura_Natume) | 318 comments well i like geeks and nerds so i don't think ill have too bad of a problem

message 30: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments oh lolz ok

message 31: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments lol. I have no love life, and I AM in high school. oh well....

message 32: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i thought u were 12....

message 33: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments Nope. 15

message 34: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments oh. o.O

message 35: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments why'd u think i was 12?

message 36: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments lol emBARRAssing

message 37: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments ;)

message 38: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i thought u said that somewhere....

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that both genders should have equal rights, and neither should have superiority over the other.

"Men are from Earth, Women are from Earth. Deal with it."
-George Carlin

message 40: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments :) I like that quote.

message 41: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments me 2 ^^

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

In a society men and women should be treated equally.

However I do not like the idea of extending the required draft to women turning eighteen. Only men should be required to enter their name into the draft.

message 43: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I don't think that anyone should be required to enter their name into the draft.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Well men at eighteen already are and I don't see a reason to change that.

message 45: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla | 218 comments lol I agree with Jayda about the draft :P

And in general, I mean, I AM a female, but I'm not too much of a feminist. I don't want guys to treat me as a fellow guy always, and I think that men and women should definitely be treated as equals on all education/occupations levels and any work they do, but the fact is, that they have different places in society. And I'm good with that...

message 46: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla | 218 comments lol, continuing with that thought...I don't think either men or women are worth any more then each other. They're just different, and that needs to be accepted, but also needs to be celebrated. Yay, women AREN'T men! They are cool on the same level, just in a different way!
You know, that sort of thing...

message 47: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla | 218 comments Not in a way that makes either seem better them the other, just recognizes everyone

message 48: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
The draft for anyone is a horrible idea. btw

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

The draft isn't too bad - after all it has only been used twice, both times in emergencies that had to be put above the personal lives of individuals to protect the nation - or the world in the case of the Nazi regime - as a whole. It just shouldn't be placed close at hand to be grabbed at a moment's noticed; using it should be thought through carefully.

And actually I think men should be entered into the draft and not women because women are more important than men. And if something is important you don't put something of greater or even equal importance at risk for destruction to protect it.

As for why women are better, psychologically they tend to be more caring while men tend to be more analytical. Both have their practical uses but caring is more valuable on a moral level. Also women carry children while men just start their growth. Again, both necessary, but the former more important. After all if you care about preserving the family line and the woman is pregnant, then the man is more reasonable choice to put on the line. How many troops come home from war to hold their children for the first time? Now what would happen, ten-to-one if the mother went to war?

Plus do you know how frustrating materinty leave can be in a military? It never goes easily.

message 50: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
The draft is the government taking away every right to freedom, by forcing people to give up their lives unwillingly in a war. It violates everything we stand for, including the fact we are not a nation of soldiers in waiting.

"And actually I think men should be entered into the draft and not women because women are more important than men. And if something is important you don't put something of greater or even equal importance at risk for destruction to protect it. "

That is dripping with sexism, frankly.

Your entire argument for keeping women out of the war is they MIGHT be pregnant. Should we not drive, or use machines, because we might harm something that may or may not exist. Should we all sit around in padded rooms, because we have to save our bodies for a baby? Should we stop being ourselves, and become incubators for the men to provide for?

« previous 1 3