Bookworms discussion

Investigation-in-progress > What do you do with your books (other than keep them) when you are done reading ?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Neena (last edited Oct 03, 2012 10:03PM) (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
I used to keep all my books with me. But last year I suddenly imagined my kids grown up enough (but not grown up enough) to take an interest in fiction and deciding to read from mommy's collection and picking up wrong book every time. I have read so many books which made me pull out my hair, bored me to death, made me fall asleep every time I tried to read a page, some total trash and some utterly nonsense books. I thought about them losing interest in this wonderful hobby in the process. We inherit reading genes off course but initial exposure to books also play a major role in developing reading habbit I think. So I donated all my books except a few (less than 15) to library and that's the place from where I get my books mostly now.

That way I don't have to worry about storing my books or influencing my kids' genre taste in books or worrying about carrying them all whenever we decide to move. What do you do with your books once you are done reading?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I sell them. The libraries here wont take them, as they dont consider them good enough.

So, I sell them to the second hand book dealer in kolkata!

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (rezybleezx) I share books with my friends. But now i don't do because iam now using ebooks mosly. Printed books are not affordable.

message 4: by Neena (new)

Thomas wrote: "I share books with my friends. But now i don't do because iam now using ebooks mosly. Printed books are not affordable."

That's true...too much headache just to store them and I think if I want to make library at home I would like it to be real impressive with hard covers mostly....expensive and not too practical....

message 5: by Babu Sriram (new)

Babu Sriram (BabuST) | 11 comments Circulate it among my family, and keep it safely on my bookshelf and into a trunk when there s no space. I always wished to have my own library :)

message 6: by Babu Sriram (new)

Babu Sriram (BabuST) | 11 comments Thomas wrote: "I share books with my friends. But now i don't do because iam now using ebooks mosly. Printed books are not affordable."

Surprised that u said printed were not affordable! Where do you get your ebooks? The ebooks i want to read are more expensive than the books themselves..

message 7: by Babu Sriram (new)

Babu Sriram (BabuST) | 11 comments Neena wrote: "I used to keep all my books with me. But last year I suddenly imagined my kids grown up enough (but not grown up enough) to take an interest in fiction and deciding to read from mommy's collection ..."

Nothing wrong in influencing the books to read. My most memorable moments are talking and discussing about books with my mum.

message 8: by Neena (new)

Babu Sriram wrote: "Neena wrote: "I used to keep all my books with me. But last year I suddenly imagined my kids grown up enough (but not grown up enough) to take an interest in fiction and deciding to read from mommy..."

It's just that when they get books from library, it's easy to moderate what they are reading. But in case of home collection I would be concerned if around the age of 12 they are reading books meant for 20.

message 9: by Babu Sriram (new)

Babu Sriram (BabuST) | 11 comments Neena wrote: "Babu Sriram wrote: "Neena wrote: "I used to keep all my books with me. But last year I suddenly imagined my kids grown up enough (but not grown up enough) to take an interest in fiction and decidin..."

Ah.. Yes i understand. I had to explicitly tell my teenage sis not to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and The Song of Ice and Fire series until after a few yrs.

message 10: by Neena (new)

Babu Sriram wrote: "Neena wrote: "Babu Sriram wrote: "Neena wrote: "I used to keep all my books with me. But last year I suddenly imagined my kids grown up enough (but not grown up enough) to take an interest in ficti..."

Yeah so then we can expect them to do exactly the oppisite most of the times. It get them curious. I was like that too:P

message 11: by Neena (new)

Neena wrote: "Babu Sriram wrote: "Neena wrote: "Babu Sriram wrote: "Neena wrote: "I used to keep all my books with me. But last year I suddenly imagined my kids grown up enough (but not grown up enough) to take ..."

But mostly it's just that I'm the one in my house who does not feel remorse throwing old things. And also I found it big headache every time we moved in last few years.

message 12: by Neena (new)

Anirban wrote: "Well I sell them. The libraries here wont take them, as they dont consider them good enough.

So, I sell them to the second hand book dealer in kolkata!"

Well Anirban if I have to buy all my books myself because there's not much in libraries I don't think I shall be generous enough to donate all of them to libraries. Because libraries offer everything here so one does not feel bad about donating everything to libraries I guess.

message 13: by Rachna (new)

Rachna Most of the books I have bought up to now are stacked in my parents' house in a box...some are with me. Due to lack of space and good lending libraries, I've converted to Kindle. That way you get to read conveniently whatever you want, whenever and wherever you want - without losing premium space at home. There are some hard copies that I still pick up on good bargains, and comics, but I've 99% converted to ebooks.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Rachna wrote: "Most of the books I have bought up to now are stacked in my parents' house in a box...some are with me. Due to lack of space and good lending libraries, I've converted to Kindle. Tha..."

Actually I am thinking of getting a Kindle, there is a huge space crunch in my room!!!

message 15: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan @ All The lovely Ladies and Fine Gentlemen,

I am saving them all to be given as Dowry/Dahej. Nobody wants to marry me. Boo hoo hoo!!! Dowry is my only hope!!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Dipanjan wrote: "@ All The lovely Ladies and Fine Gentlemen,

I am saving them all to be given as Dowry/Dahej. Nobody wants to marry me. Boo hoo hoo!!! Dowry is my only hope!!!"

No one will take crime fiction as dowry. You might as well give them to me.

message 17: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan @ Anirban - I dun wanna marry you. Mommy said, I must marry women ONLY.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Dipanjan wrote: "@ Anirban - I dun wanna marry you. Mommy said, I must marry women ONLY."

What if her family wont take Crime Fiction for dowry??? Then all your books will be wasted. So why waste them??? Marry a girl whose family wont take dowry and give me the books.

message 19: by I am Dangerous (new)

I am Dangerous | 22 comments I sell them and buy new ones;) They are really profitable;D

message 20: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan @ Anirban - If they don't take Crime Fiction for Dowry, then I shall say like Michael Corleone "Would you have your daughter gain a husband or lose a father".

message 21: by Babu Sriram (new)

Babu Sriram (BabuST) | 11 comments @Saurabh @Dipanjan Lol ! Super Like!!

message 22: by Dyuti (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) Dipanjan wrote: "@ All The lovely Ladies and Fine Gentlemen,

I am saving them all to be given as Dowry/Dahej. Nobody wants to marry me. Boo hoo hoo!!! Dowry is my only hope!!!"

You guys are serious nutters! Haha...

Btw if u guys, i.e you and anirban do decide to get married, can I get to become the best (wo)man? Don't wanna miss out on all the fun!

I too hate giving away my books!! I'm a super hoarder... I love the look of lots of books as much as I love reading them.

message 23: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan @ Dyuti - You should stop fantasizing. Instead try a male strip club. I am as straight as straight can be. And Anirban is trying to con me out of my books which are for Dowry purpose only. And men have only "Best Men" during marriage. "Best Women" are risky.

Gaah!!!

message 24: by Srinivas (new)

Srinivas (21stnomad) | 55 comments Dipanjan wrote: "@ Anirban - If they don't take Crime Fiction for Dowry, then I shall say like Michael Corleone "Would you have your daughter gain a husband or lose a father"."

after all,

Books(Blood) were Books(Blood) and nothing else was its equal

message 25: by Dyuti (last edited Oct 19, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) Dipanjan wrote: "@ Dyuti - You should stop fantasizing. Instead try a male strip club. I am as straight as straight can be. And Anirban is trying to con me out of my books which are for Dowry purpose only. And men ..."

You freaking gender biased creep! Why shouldn't there be 'Best Women' eh? The concept is good, innovative and quite a win-win situation for everyone involved. A best woman would stop many marriage disasters from happening, as well as give you proper sane advice when you are in doubt bout your wife. Humph!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread is about "what to do with your books" and not "what to do with your BEST WOMAN" :P :D

message 27: by Neena (new)

Dyuti wrote: "Dipanjan wrote: "@ Dyuti - You should stop fantasizing. Instead try a male strip club. I am as straight as straight can be. And Anirban is trying to con me out of my books which are for Dowry purpo..."

Now that's super hilarious Dayuti. Well if my husband has a best woman in his life he is surely going to be kicked out :D I'm sure every wife feels same about this best woman concept:)

message 28: by Dyuti (last edited Oct 19, 2012 09:18AM) (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) I was just kidding everyone! My apologies. :D
All said in good humour!
@ Anirban: Yes, Yes, i know! Don't rub it in... :P

message 29: by Neena (new)

Dyuti wrote: "I was just kidding everyone! My apologies. I'll delete the inputs! :D

All said in good humour!"

dont delete that Dayuti.....it's so funny....I loved reading it:D

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (rezybleezx) Babu Sriram wrote: "Thomas wrote: "I share books with my friends. But now i don't do because iam now using ebooks mosly. Printed books are not affordable."

Surprised that u said printed were not affordable! Where do ..."

who's gonna buy ebooks? U can get them free if u know how and where to get it

message 31: by Sohini (new)

Sohini Banerjee (banerjeesohini) | 36 comments I don't think I can ever move to Kindle or any form of ebook...There is a certain pleasure in buying and possessing books, the smell of an old book or even the memories that a book can have... when I am done with a book I place them on my bookshelf for admiration and accomplishment!

I have a habit, that whenever I start a book, on the 1st page I write my first name, the date of purchase, and any meaningful quote by anyone significant. For instance, as I am reading The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnesmy 1st page has a quote by Bob Marley that says : "The good times of today are the sad thoughts of tomorrow!" A beautiful and so true thought!

So even though I have 100s of books on my shelf each one has a memory and a thought associated with it...that's why I love to revisit each book and recollect that which is beautiful...

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Sohini wrote: "I don't think I can ever move to Kindle or any form of ebook...There is a certain pleasure in buying and possessing books, the smell of an old book or even the memories that a book can have... when..."

This is very true. No amount of ebooks can replace the charm of holding one physical book in hand.

Like you, even I put my name, the book number and the purchase date on the book. I actually have a rubber stamp made for that.

message 33: by Sohini (new)

Sohini Banerjee (banerjeesohini) | 36 comments A rubber stamp!!! Thats some dedication ;-) I prefer pens... coloured ink and preferably gel...If holding the book in its physical form is a moment...then hand written words or even some doodle is mandatory ;-)

message 34: by Akshatha (new)

Akshatha Padukone | 19 comments I like to re-read my books after a few years. So i treasure them.. Occasionally i exchange books with my friends for reading

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Anirban wrote: "Sohini wrote: "I don't think I can ever move to Kindle or any form of ebook...There is a certain pleasure in buying and possessing books, the smell of an old book or even the memori..."

Actually I am planning to get a Kindle. But, not available in Kolkata :(

I have heard a lot of guys talking about the addiction of Kindle. I guess I will slow down on physical books once I get a kindle. But , it wont go away. The charm of handling a book before buyiong is too ingrained to lose

And, if you are a Kolkata CHELE like me, nothing can erase the heady feeling of roaming in College Street and buying second hand books.

@Sohini...books, I can do anything to preserve them. I use naptha balls in the shelf to keep them termite free.

message 36: by Sohini (new)

Sohini Banerjee (banerjeesohini) | 36 comments Anirban, this is only a lifestyle choice. I am not a obsessed foodhardy individual who would compare books to a soldiers medals...these are not even comparable, leave alone being exchangeable.

I keep my books as it defines me as a person. A Kindle is at the end of the day an electronic gadget and will be very soon replaced by another innovation. It's not permanent. My books are. That's why I buy them and keep them.

Moreover, a simple act like spending my money on buying a book rather any other materialistic stuff, simply defines my preferences. That's all.

So going back to where I started from - it's my lifestyle choice. Yours is a Kindle. I don't endeavour to convert you and you don't try to convince me :-) Period.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 20, 2012 01:29AM) (new)

Sohini wrote: "Anirban, this is only a lifestyle choice. I am not a obsessed foodhardy individual who would compare books to a soldiers medals...these are not even comparable, leave alone being exchangeable.

I k..."

Excuse me, when did I say that I am a Kindle guy??????

I dont even have a Kindle. :)

Till date , I have a total of 723 books, all in paper. All bought from somewhere or the other. So the question of converting someone does not arise. I myself is not converted.

Did my talk of College Street, Second hand books, and charm regarding holding a book lead you to believe that I am a Kindle fanatic hell bent upon converting anyone who is into physical books??????

Well if you did that I must commend on your power of imagination.

I seriously believe that you wasted your tough talk on me. Coz,going back to the same place, how can I say kindle is better when I don't even have one!!!!!!!!!!

message 38: by Sohini (new)

Sohini Banerjee (banerjeesohini) | 36 comments Geeks .... Apologies.... that was Saurabh indeed!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Sohini wrote: "Geeks .... Apologies.... that was Saurabh indeed!"

At first I was a bit hurt !!! :D Then I realised what happened.

But I can tell you something that, Saurabh is the most flxible of guys you can come across. So, any thought of him converting anyone for that matter brings a smile to my face :) :)

And, lastly I do share your views. I guess I am the only Bengali who buys books during Pujas in place of apparels!!! :D :D

message 40: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (rezybleezx) I don't have a kindle. Kindle only allows as to read that are bought from amazon store. I belive that smartphones are the best platform to read books. Preferebly android. (apple iphone/ipad allowes you to read only books downloaded frm apple ibookstore) you can use an app like kindle app or aldiko reader or any other ebook reader. It's handy and i have read 100 books this way.

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard | 34 comments Dipanjan wrote: "@ All The lovely Ladies and Fine Gentlemen,

But what kind of wife could you get with books about Tintin and Jack Ryan? You might end up involved in animated adventures or espionage!

message 42: by Richard (new)

Richard | 34 comments Saurabh wrote: "Richard wrote: "But what kind of wife could you get with books about Tintin and Jack Ryan? You might end up involved in animated adventures or espionage! "

:)) That is hilarious."

I can just imagine Dipanjan in Egypt with Tintin. We'd see a cartoon of him chatting with the Sphinx and posing with statues of pharaohs (and trying to hold them up if they looked as if they were in danger of toppling).

message 43: by Neena (new)

Richard wrote: "Dipanjan wrote: "@ All The lovely Ladies and Fine Gentlemen,

But what kind of w..."

That was utterly funny Richard :D You have a valid point....where's Diapnjan?

message 44: by Dyuti (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) Neena wrote: "Richard wrote: "Dipanjan wrote: "@ All The lovely Ladies and Fine Gentlemen,

Bu..."

Off vacationing in Cape Town. I'll let him know that we're having a wonderful time trying to select a wife for him by trading his Tintin books... Lets see what he has to say to that! :P

message 45: by Neena (last edited Oct 20, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Sohini wrote: "Geeks .... Apologies.... that was Saurabh indeed!"

Thanks for the kind words Anirban, appreciate your support.

Well, I am not trying to convince or convert anyone. I was only expre..."

Saurabh I can see why you like your kindle that much. I have kobo and when I first started using it, I was just addicted to it. It was so convenient to use and with e reader light at night I was not disturbing anyone. I had a real real hard time getting back to physical books. Even now when I get books from library (selecting books to read is easy with physical books) I always look for avaiable e-book version online later and read e books if format is available in the library. I read for long hours and it's comfortable reading an e book.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Neena wrote: "It was so convenient to use and with e reader light at night I was not disturbing anyone. I had a real real hard time getting back to physical books. Even now when I get books from li..."

You people are making me Insane!!! Why dont we get a Kindle in Kolkata!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

And, not only that, the no of books I buy creates a huge space crunch for me.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Saurabh wrote: "Hey Anirban, if I may suggest something, I would say that you can order Kindle online at Junglee.com or Croma.com. I think both these sites would deliver in Kolkatta, but ofcourse the only drawback..."

Arre I have plans of shifting to e reader by next year. I have right now around 70 physical books still unread, and I have a Delhi trip planned in January. So, I am thinking of getting one in Jan.

message 49: by Neena (new)

Apart from everything else Saraubh said the best thing about e reader for me is it's ability to increase the size of fonts. For a reader like me who reads all the time, this quality is a blessing. I started feeling strain on eyes because of too much reading. Now I just enlarege the fonts and reading is convenient for me.

Anirban get a black and white e reader. That way you can read in sunlight too and you would not experience any glare.

message 50: by Dipanjan (new)

Dipanjan @ Richard - With Tintin and Jack Ryan books, I might just pull off a 10 on 10 blonde for a wife. And she may be gifted with the talent of not "thinking too much."

@ Neena - I am "Missing - Presumed Having A Good Time"

@ Dyuti - I am touched that all of you are trying to find me a wife. I am touched. Please keep the search on. I like Angelina Jolie, so you can use that as a benchmark.

« previous 1