Bookworm Buddies discussion

Bookworm Chatter > What do you think?

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 13514 comments Mod
Hey guys I thought it would be cool to talk about what we think about upcoming books. Because I see so many good ones advertised on Good Reads. As a matter of fact I just saw one today that seemed interesting to me. Thought I would find out what y'all thought of it. I watched the little video for the book too. You can find all of it in the link provided.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 3977 comments There have been some books advertised on Goodreads which look good. Every Day, by Leviathan, I think that was the title, I put on my to-read list.

Lois Lowry, whose a popular YA novelist, wrote the final book in a series I read when I about 11. It's been advertised a lot on here, too. It's entitled, "Son". Haha, it's bad, but I'm thinking of reading all of the books next year to know what happens.

message 3: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I see a lot about "The Raven Boys" too. But if I remember correctly that was not one that sounded good to me.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 3977 comments I have to be honest, when I first got on Goodreads, the ads annoyed me, but now not so much. A few times because of them, I've added books to read. And yeah, I've seen The Raven Boys, too, and it just didn't sound like my type of book.

message 5: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 3965 comments The ads still bug me, and I hardly ever look at them. I only look to see if there is a little 'X' in the corner to get rid of it. Since there isn't, I just keep on movin'....

I do keep a watch on what everyone else is reading. Most of the people I am "friends" with have either the same taste in books, or are dependable enough to be interesting and intelligent readers who will help move me out of my comfort zones. I also enter the giveaways a lot; usually the recently released for giveaway.

message 6: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Oct 04, 2012 05:35AM) (new)

Alondra wrote: "The ads still bug me, and I hardly ever look at them. I only look to see if there is a little 'X' in the corner to get rid of it. Since there isn't, I just keep on movin'....

I do keep a watch on ..."

Oh I agree Alondra, I always watch to see who is reading what. I patiently wait to read the reviews too. Because of Good reads my library is growing at a much faster pace than I first anticipated. LOL I have to blame something right?

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 3977 comments How do you win in the giveaways? I have entered in probably a hundred, ad the books to my shelves, and nothing. I've seen several people say they win all of the time.

message 8: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I have entered a few myself Kathryn and have never won either :(

message 9: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 3965 comments Janie wrote: "Alondra wrote: "The ads still bug me, and I hardly ever look at them. I only look to see if there is a little 'X' in the corner to get rid of it. Since there isn't, I just keep on movin'....

I do ..."

same here, Janie. I never payed/paid much attention to how much i read until joining. i never kept track of my patterns either. i really enjoy this site and am so glad i researched and found it.

i sent you a message back that is long-winded Kathryn; but i think you will get my meaning behind it.

The giveaways can be won. i think the authors/publishers want to ensure a 'Read' book and may look at everyones reading patterns... mmm

i also failed to mention that in my msg to you. i really think that it is not just drawing a name out of a hat. i also failed to mention that the ones i tend to enter are those giving away 5 or more books. i try not to enter if only 1 book is being given away. i mean, really... 3,000 people enter, i doubt if i get a wink.

*cuts long windedness*

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 3977 comments Yeah, if there is only one book being given away, and 3000 people enter, I move on. I think it will just take time, and more entering.

message 11: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 794 comments I've entered a bunch of giveaways too and have never won yet. Sad :(

message 12: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Oct 04, 2012 11:54AM) (new)

I agree guys. I guess I will just keep my eyes open! Is there an easy way to find them?

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 3977 comments Janie wrote: "I agree guys. I guess I will just keep my eyes open! Is there an easy way to find them?"

Up at the top right where it says Explore, click on the down arrow, and a list will drop. There will be an option for "giveaways." You can search through the giveaways by genre, author, end or start date, etc. Then you click "Enter Giveaway", etc...It's pretty easy.

message 14: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Oh yay! Thanks Kathryn!

message 15: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Hey has anyone heard about The TimeKeeper? It is available now! I watched the Author talk about it and it sounds so good.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 3977 comments Janie wrote: "Oh yay! Thanks Kathryn!"

No problem! I usually peruse it about every week. New stuff is listed all the time. It's helped me to find some neat books to add to my to-read shelf. Even if I don't win, at least I'm finding new reads.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 327 comments Janie wrote: "Hey has anyone heard about The TimeKeeper? It is available now! I watched the Author talk about it and it sounds so good."

One of my other groups is considering it for the November read. I did spot it on my library's 7 day rental new release display. I didn't really check through it exept to notice that it was not a very large book.

message 18: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I am really interested in reading it. Listening to the Author talk about it made it sound pretty good.