Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Rereading a book

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 5 comments When you choose to reread a book, Goodreads removes the book from the "read" section and puts it into the "currently reading" section. There ought to be a way to show you have read a book twice or more. I mean when you have a piece of great music you listen to it over and over again. Same with books, why wouldn't you want to read a great book again maybe years after the first time? But Goodreads shouldn't erase the history of that first read don't you think?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments This has been brought up many times recently. It's always good to do a search for the topic you wish to raise to see whether it's already been brought up and discussed. You can see the threads on this topic here: http://www.goodreads.com/group/commen...

I personally would like for a re-read option, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. The workaround is to add another edition of the book to your shelves.

message 3: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 45 comments I, and apparently a bunch of others, totally agree judging by the number of threads asking for a re-reading ability of some kind in here. Thanks Becky for linking 'em! It's one of the things I think GR really should be working on to improve the site. Sure there are ways to work around it, put the dates of your last read in the personal notes section, or in the review itself, but still, I think they really need an 'official' way of keeping track and noting re-reads. It could help their database too, show which books people seem to read over and over again... But yea, it probably won't happen anytime soon :(

message 4: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 170 comments Becky wrote: "This has been brought up many times recently. It's always good to do a search for the topic you wish to raise to see whether it's already been brought up and discussed. You can see the threads on t..."

Wow Becky! Thanks for linking all the threads. I knew this was a popular topic, but not that popular!

I agree with you and Kit though - it would be awesome to have and make Goodreads better but is unlikely to happen soon, especially as there is rarely if ever any "official" response.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Nairabell wrote: "make Goodreads better but is unlikely to happen soon, especially as there is rarely if ever any "official" response. "

Goodreads has made an official response. To accomplish this requires making a fundamental change to the database, something that will not happen any time soon.

message 6: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 170 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Nairabell wrote: "make Goodreads better but is unlikely to happen soon, especially as there is rarely if ever any "official" response. "

Goodreads has made an official response. To accomplish this..."

I hadn't seen that. I just know that since I joined the group, they haven't responded.

message 7: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments I think the 'official' response was from a year or so ago. There was another thread where I suggested they advise more on the issue as I am sure that, amongst those who would love for this option to be implemented, there are some IT people who could help with this. Especially as these threads are appearing every week or so now.

message 8: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments To comment on Carina's suggestion, there was a woman, whose comment I can no longer find, who actually explained the basic programming principle behind a re-read feature that she thought could work. I don't think it was very revolutionary (possibly just making the 'read dates' have a gap between them for two different reading periods) but I don't think GR ever responded to her suggestion.

As it is, the stats from yearly reading are so great here on GR, id only leave for another website if I could find one that can track stats that well, and allows rereading.

So maybe we should work on it outside of the official team (or have one staff liaison) work out ideas with some programming-savy volunteers, make it neat and then present it to GR? I could email support to see if GR would even accept such an approach. We'd probably want a group to organize this as well... Does anyone want to message me and try this?

message 9: by Cole (new)

Cole (Spectyr333) Mark wrote: "When you choose to reread a book, Goodreads removes the book from the "read" section and puts it into the "currently reading" section. There ought to be a way to show you have read a book twice or..."

Yes, yes, yes. This need s to be corrected!

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1462 comments I can't find the comment right now, but IIRC, the problem isn't that they don't know how to fix it, it's that they would have to take the site down to change it.

message 11: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 45 comments Deborah wrote: "I can't find the comment right now, but IIRC, the problem isn't that they don't know how to fix it, it's that they would have to take the site down to change it."

I'd be willing to put up with a day or two of the site being down if they'd do this for us! :)

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments Kit★ wrote: "I'd be willing to put up with a day or two of the site being down if they'd do this for us! :)"

Hear hear! This is obviously something a LOT of people want. I know it is the number 1 thing on my wishlist.

message 13: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments But from their perspective... might this not be a long time to have the site down? When might it be safest to do that? They'd have to plan out, after doing the programming, when the best time to take it down is... Because if too many new people bounce off the 'hold' page... that would be frustrating for new members...

It's really disheartening though.

message 14: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments Well, the site wouldn't be down for a day or two - it would be down for some amount of time, but not anywhere close to a day or two. But there's a lot of work that has to be done before that point, database layout changes, programming, etc. etc. and GR is probably balking at the complexity of the change required.

Having said all of that - I'm very much in the *we need this* camp and it's also at the top of my personal wish list for GR. For all the good that does me.

message 15: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments I almost want to do this myself. As in, learn the programming and logistics and writing necessary to do it. But then I'd want to be on the 'by' line. :D

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1462 comments Kit★ wrote: "I'd be willing to put up with a day or two of the site being down if they'd do this for us! :) "

I wouldn't. I hate down time and I don't reread.

message 17: by Ciska (last edited Oct 12, 2012 04:27AM) (new)

Ciska (Ciska_vander_Lans) | 33 comments Obviously the site does not go down for two days for things like this. If they are working correct (which I suspect) they have a duplicate site running for developing solutions for bugs and developing wishes. And the site only needs downtime while the update is being rolled out.

To make this work it all depends on the basics the read and add a reading date option is build but I would say
1. create a new table with the book id startdate readdate field
2. On the review screen add a plus sign with the dates so one can add an extra line if there are new dates.

This solution would mean that not every book gets its own reviews.
And it would still need some good thinking on how to solve the exclusive shelf situation and I think the whole difficulty is in there.

But for me just being able to add multiple sets of dates to a book would be a big help already and while I am reading the book I will move it from my read to my currently reading shelf.

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments I think the exclusive shelf bit is a pretty small part of this. I mean, how long are you reading a book for? Not long enough for it to really matter that the book is only on your currently reading shelf, and not your read shelf.

The big things, in my opinion, are being able to record multiple read dates, and flowing from that, having the same book count in your stats for multiple years. They gave us these awesome stats and yearly challenges, but rereads currently mess those up completely!

(Yes, I know you can make the stats work using different editions, but aside from the fact that I want to use the correct editions, some books just don't have a lot of editions!)

message 19: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (Ciska_vander_Lans) | 33 comments Technically the dates are not that hard to realize actually. I am a software engineer and in our program it is happening on a regular base that we create history for an event that was not having history before.

But there are some extras like the challenges and stats that need attention too. I am curious how it is all set up and why they see it as such a big change that it does not seem to be worth the effort.

message 20: by Amit (new)

Amit (kakistos) | 42 comments Me too. It's the curse of a software engineer, wanting to know how the sites you use are built. :)

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments I know the feeling! I'm also a software developer. And I love databases. :P I'd love to see their schema...

message 22: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments I wonder if any staff is reading this... Hello? *echoes*

message 23: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (Pekapeka) | 30 comments Hi, just curious because I had never thought of this as a useful feature: what would you do with your re-read date info? Why do you want to record it? TIA

message 24: by Josephine (last edited Oct 12, 2012 04:03PM) (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments Well, as of now, if you read Book A between today and tomorrow, and marked the dates, Book A would show up on your 'books read in 2012' stats page.

If you read it again in February 2013, and marked the dates of Feb 4th to 6th, Book A would show up on the stats page of 'books read in 2013' but would no longer appear on 'books read in 2012'.

This would also mean that if you review all your years, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, your count would decrease by one for 2012, while increasing for 2013.

*wonders if that was too convoluted*

It's mostly important for people who want to keep track of how much their reading varies from year to year. At the moment, the stats are only beneficial in terms of *new* books you read each year.

ETA: Maybe I misunderstood your question. :/

message 25: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments I'm considering doing the same. It's just less specific with details.

message 26: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (Ciska_vander_Lans) | 33 comments Derrick wrote: "I get around the year problem by having a 20XX shelf for each year..."

If you change the date read of a book it will not count in the reading challenge.

message 27: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments Ciska wrote: "Derrick wrote: "I get around the year problem by having a 20XX shelf for each year..."

If you change the date read of a book it will not count in the reading challenge."

So the only work around then is to use different editions.....

I have already had to implement the 2012 book shelf in preparation for next year and it really irks me in that if I look at my stats the pie chart is showing over 50% as 2012 - not useful when I like the chart to show me my most popular genre.

Josephine - I kind of get the feeling these threads get ignored by the GR staff as the last few I have been on have not had any comments - that said I reported an error and bumped it for two weeks and PMed individual staff before I got a response so...

message 28: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments Carina wrote: Josephine - I kind of get the feeling these threads get ignored by the GR staff as the last few I have been on have not had any comments - that said I reported an error and bumped it for two weeks and PMed individual staff before I got a response so... "

I understand prioritizing the money-making things for the website, and as said previously, the work-around for this feature would be a lot of prep-work, and I expect a few week of bugs (maybe not so much), but I guess we're all just being wishful at this point. But, either way, this thread should be sticky-ed. Shall I go ahead and start bugging someone about that? I've never PM'd a staff member before...

message 29: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 45 comments Personally I like to keep track of my re-read dates not necessarily for the yearly GR challenge (because this is only my second year doing it) but because I just like to know when I read the book last when I go to re-read it. And I want to save the dates for my record so I can see when I've read my favorites, how often, etc :)

message 30: by Josephine (last edited Oct 13, 2012 11:18AM) (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments ... I'm not keen on refering outside the community, but it turns out there are some alternative sites that do keep track of multiple read dates for people who like stats (view spoiler)

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1462 comments Derrick wrote: "I thought Shelfari only allowed a limited amount of books before you had to pay? Or is that Librarything? I can't keep the other sites straight in my head..."

LibraryThing is only free for 200 books. Shelfari is tied to your Amazon account.

message 32: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments I also don't think Librarything tracks your dates read.

message 33: by Anki (new)

Anki (ShadrachAnki) | 153 comments LibraryThing does have places where you can enter dates read on each book in your library (and you can have multiple read dates per edition), but they don't really do anything with the information.

message 34: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments Ahh, I have yet to see that slot, but I haven't spent too much time there. :) Thanks.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 27, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

I'll just add my drop into the bucket, and say I'd wish there was a re-read option too. Specially since the yearly challenge and yearly stats get really messed up when your favorite books make reappearances. I mean, I went over The Endless Story about once a year for quite a while. Same with The Lord of the Rings. And many other classics.

message 36: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 38 comments I suggest the 'adding different editions' work-around to you. As for me, I'm going to see if it's possible to retain 'Challege Won!' status if I reread too many books from 2011. But I think I'm safe for now. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep it up to date on goodreads if I read a book more than once, within a single year! I'm not even sure Shelfari is handling those stats correctly...