The Exploration of Nature discussion

Members > Members Work

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Occhipinti (joeoccchipinti) | 33 comments Mod
Have a nature title? Please post your work here for us to see.

message 2: by Paul (last edited Jun 20, 2013 09:11AM) (new)

Paul Andrulis (pauldude000) | 4 comments Fiction:

Surviving In America Under Siege 2nd Edition by Paul Andrulis In this work of apocalyptic fiction, for part of the plot I pose the question of "what would happen in an apocalyptic scenario if all of the animals of a local zoo escaped or were intentionally released?"

Warning... the story does contain some graphic violence and civil war. The overall plot is based upon the juiciest conspiracy theories I could find which could be realistically woven into a dystopian alternate reality.

NON-Fiction:

Is Wilderness Survival 4 Me? by Paul Andrulis "Is Wilderness Survival 4 Me?" helps you determine whether you need or even want to learn wilderness survival. I expect this eBook to get bad feedback, as I pose ideas and concepts within unpopular in the survivalist communities. Do not let bad feedback on this one throw you for a loop.

The Basics 4 Survival by Paul Andrulis "The Basics 4 Survival" is a compact course in the basic concepts of Wilderness Survival.

The two above are just what their names state. They are the first two of a series of topical mini-eBooks (Less than 20,000 words) concerning wilderness survival. The series is done in this manner so that you can pick and choose what topics you wish to acquire, without having to buy a ton of unnecessary information you do not want.

The Amazing Wood-Gas Stove (A Simple DIY Series, #1) by Paul Andrulis "The Amazing Wood-Gas Camping Stove: A Simple DIY Project" is for those interested in alternate eco-friendly green fuel sources. These extremely efficient stoves burn bio-mass, which does not add any new carbon into the system unlike fossil fuels. They also put off very little if any smoke as a pollutant when heated to operating temperature, which is the usual deterrent for considering bio-mass as a fuel. They actually burn the smoke. These wood gas stoves are cheap and easy to make once you know how, can be scaled large or small, and make great gifts.

I do have another book out, but I do not think it is really appropriate here, as it is a fishing how-to.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Now I'm really curious as to your ideas and concepts that are unpopular in the survivalist community. Might have to get the book. Cheers.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Jun 20, 2013 06:49PM) (new)

Paul Andrulis (pauldude000) | 4 comments Cheers. What is unpopular with the survivalist community is:

1. Not everyone needs wilderness survival information.
2. Not everyone will want to be a survivalist.
3. Survivalism and survivalists in general are often viewed through a social stigma.
4. Many things are lumped under the term survivalism, and most forms of survivalism have nothing to do with wilderness survival at all. (such as prepping, guns, combat, etc.)

The purpose of the first book is somewhat of an alien concept to many survivalists, in that it helps someone whom knows nothing about wilderness survival decide whether they even need or want to explore the concept deeper, and lets them know what they are in for if they do, so that they can make an informed choice.

message 5: by Joe (new)

That all sounds very sensible to me. I think you have hit on something interesting and important. The term "survivalist" has taken on a fair amount of baggage, e.g. it has become associated with militarism, anti-government sentiments, etc. There are probably lots of people who would be interested in learning survival skills without all that baggage.

I once got lost in the Andes mountains and had to find a way to survive the night. I had some survival skills that helped me through, things I learned as an avid hiker and in Boy Scouts. The baggage mattered not a whit.

message 6: by L. (new)

L. Riofrio | 5 comments My book title is The Speed of Light. One quote:

The Speed of Light

Scientist George Washington Carver enjoyed the light of sunrise. He rose every day before dawn to walk through the woods. The plants and crops grown in the Sun’s light fascinated him. Among other innovations, he invented nearly 100 products made from peanuts. Life on a planet’s surface is deeply dependent upon the Sun...

message 7: by L. (new)

L. Riofrio | 5 comments This weekend I'm invited to present at the World Science Fiction Convention in London about The Speed of Light.

message 8: by James (new)

James Kraus | 1 comments The Forester
Adirondack Moments

Hello,

I am new in this group & here is some background info.

I am retired from teaching forestry for 30 years at Paul Smith's College located in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid. Over the years my students often asked the question: what is good forest management? I changed the question to: what should the human relationship be with nature & have done a fair amount of research on this subject especially in the area of "environmental values & ethics."

My research eventually motivated me to write THE FORESTER. The main plot theme in my novel is "conflicting environmental values," which is presented & dramatized by various characters. While values was a major theme the story also developed as an adventure story & a love story & this helps to make the characters & plot more interesting & realistic.

My book page goes into more detail on THE FORESTER.

While writing, trout fishing, hiking, cross country skiing, forestry, teaching, raising 2 kids, keeping my wife happy & building a house occupied much of my time (list is not in order of importance) I also have an interest in photography & began photographing the Adirondacks & showed an ongoing slide show to my students. At the end of my teaching career I published ADIRONDACK MOMENTS, a photo book of this incredible region.

I am interested in hearing from other folks about their views on environmental values & ethics & what they have read or written on this subject.

I am now living in CO & in 2 weeks we are moving to OR to be closer to the grand kids.

So, send me some words.

James Kraus

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (PaulLev) | 1 comments Just published on Kindle - my 1998 Sturgeon-nominated novelette, The Orchard.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WNHVDOK/r...

In the 22nd century, humans have discovered numerous planets teeming with life, but none with human-level intelligence. Teams of exo-biologists have been dispatched to the most promising places. The fifth planet of the Beta Hydri system has a patch of trees that bear delicious fruit. Will it kill the exo-biologists before they can prove that the orchard was deliberately planted - a sure sign of intelligent life - and get the news back to Earth?

"Paul Levinson adds a new wrinkle to the ages old search for intelligent life in the universe in 'The Orchard' ... shows us that the subtlest remnants of a civilization might be its most revealing legacy." - SF Site

message 10: by Gabriel (last edited Jun 29, 2015 01:25PM) (new)

Gabriel Schirm | 2 comments Hi Everyone! I think this is the appropriate place to post this. Here is my new nature title. Non-fiction. Focuses on using outdoor adventure as a form of therapy. Sunrises to Santiago: Searching for Purpose on the Camino de Santiago

After spending his 20s traveling the world and hopping from job to job, Gabriel Schirm was lost. At 32 years old, he desperately needed to find direction and meaningful purpose in his life. With no physical training, he decided his answers were waiting for him somewhere along the historic 490-mile pilgrimage route called the Camino de Santiago in Spain. From the physical high of crossing the Pyrenees Mountains to the mind numbing rhythm of walking through the endless wheat fields of the Meseta, the route was filled with many challenges. Accompanied by his “guru” wife Amy, Schirm faces setbacks like bed bugs and tendinitis, all in the pursuit of elusive answers. The lessons came from the serendipitous experiences and conversations with fellow pilgrims from all over the world. Sunrises to Santiago chronicles a wondrous journey of personal growth, physical pain, and outdoor adventure while teaching us all to enjoy life’s incredible journey.

message 11: by Marty (new)

Marty Essen (MartyEssen) | 2 comments I think it’s great that you have this topic/string, were member-authors can list their books. Thank you!

My first book Cool Creatures, Hot Planet Exploring the Seven Continents by Marty Essen,Cool Creatures, Hot Planet: Exploring the Seven Continents , was published in 2007. It won six national awards, and I turned it into a live stage show, “Around the World in 90 Minutes,” that I have been performing at colleges for eight years running.

My second book Endangered Edens Exploring the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Costa Rica, the Everglades, and Puerto Rico by Marty Essen,Endangered Edens: Exploring the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Costa Rica, the Everglades, and Puerto Rico , will be published on January 8, 2016.

Here’s a link to the Official Book Trailer, featuring the haunting vocals of Callie MaRae: https://youtu.be/UpOWWAcybBA

Cheers!

Marty Essen