The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) The Mark of Athena discussion


410 views
What just happened? *SPOILERS*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 122) (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie *SPOILERS*


Wow. That just got so much darker. I mean, it was still fairly lighthearted, but that was a far cry from the earlier Percy Jackson books.
It was really interesting to me the way Riordan carefully planned this book. There are callbacks and hints subtly woven in.
One of my biggest issues with Riordan in the past has been his lack of explanation, "And somehow, I did this," or "I don't know how I did it but,." That really annoys me. He really cleaned up his act in this one.
What about Percy and Annabeth falling into Tartarus? What do you think? I can't wait to hear about their journey in the House of Hades.


Alfonsia I just really hope either Percy or Annabeth narrates in House of Hades!!! But since Riordan made this book the greeks, im guessing next book will be the Romans narrating! Which means we might not directly hear from them till the final book. I seriously hope ge doesnot do that us but it is possible.
This is going to sound dark but I was/am excited when they fell in the pit cause I want to see where Riordan takes this idea and how much darker he takes the story line.
But now we have to wait another whole YEAR!!!


message 3: by Shruti (new) - added it

Shruti The book was definitely much, much darker than the previous ones. But there was a lot of lightheartedness too, lots of parts made me ROFL(haha, Iris ref ;) )

But we can definitely see this book is meant for older readers, it's definitely not for elementary and middle- schoolers anymore. And I'm kinda happy about that :3 I mean, the characters are growing up, after all.

My favorite part of this book was when Frank caught Percy and Annabeth asleep in the barn. I laughed so hard for that one. :D


Aurora I love any bit with Leo in them I <3 Leo.

Anyway, I found this book the most confusing of all the PJO and HoO books. I think because we had seven characters to follow, with the four narrators. I would have liked to have seen perspectives from all seven characters. It is darker, and I think the going-insane-in-Tartarus thing adds to that. Plus, who is going to stay behind to close the door? I don't want to loose any of the characters.


Jess Schira I'm hoping that Riordan sets things up so that readers get some of what's happening in the underworld, and some of what happens in Athens.

Was it just me, or did this book feel kind of like a place holder in the series?


message 6: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Ormot well 4 giants down 8 to go.


Aurora I think one of the narrators will be Annabeth, again. I think the other three will be the Romans, Jason, Frank and Hazel. For sure, I think the narrators will be at least the three Romans, since the Greeks were the narrators in this book. But I do want one of the narrators to be in Tartarus, which would make it, in my opinion, Annabeth. But I also really want Nico to be a narrator. (I actually want him to be the seventh demigod, but we'll see how that turns out.)


message 8: by Shruti (last edited Oct 04, 2012 05:52AM) (new) - added it

Shruti Aurora wrote: "I think one of the narrators will be Annabeth, again. I think the other three will be the Romans, Jason, Frank and Hazel. For sure, I think the narrators will be at least the three Romans, since th..."


^There are already seven demigods. Nico would be the eight.


message 9: by Shruti (new) - added it

Shruti Jessica wrote: "I'm hoping that Riordan sets things up so that readers get some of what's happening in the underworld, and some of what happens in Athens.

Was it just me, or did this book feel kind of like a pla..."


Placeholder? Why do you say that? I thought it was epic. :O


message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Schira I'm not totally sure what I mean. I really like the book, but for some reason it felt a little different from the other books he's written. As I was reading it felt like he was setting lots of things up that will happen in the next books. Maybe it's just my mood and I'll feel differently when I reread the book.


Aurora It was different. It was more confusing than the others, only because we had four (or seven, if you're counting the Romans even if they're not narrators) major storylines to follow. I think it also took on a way mature tone than any of the other books, PJO or HoO. And while placeholder isn't exactly the right word, it did seem more like it was a a book filled with necessary details that didn't contribute to a specific plot line to accomplish, but, like you said, Jessica, setting it up for further books.


Daniela-Goddess of Reading Shruti wrote: "The book was definitely much, much darker than the previous ones. But there was a lot of lightheartedness too, lots of parts made me ROFL(haha, Iris ref ;) )

But we can definitely see this book is..."


Yes, indeed, this book is certainly met for older people, and I absolutely love it. The final book will come out when I'm 18 years old and I'll still be reading it. Also I heard after RR finishes HoO series, he's going to write about the Norse gods. Is that true?!


Hixale Because I didn't know where to put this, I'm just curious *have to wait five bleepin' more days before I can get my own copy of MoA OTL * Who are the narrators for the book? I know one of them is Annabeth, but who are the other three?


Aurora The Greeks all narrate the book.


Elise I sobbed like literally I'm still crying about that and I finished the book an hour ago.


Aurora Ikr? That was some cliffhanger. I think it's the biggest one so far. I mean (SPOILERS) Percy and Annabeth have fallen into Tartarus, where Nico barely survived. They're together...for now.


message 17: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie I kept rereading the last page of the chapter where they fell. It was so sweet, but so sad. It might be one of my favorite serious moments in all of his writing.


Aurora I know! I've gone back and read it too once I finished the book. I bet that's the scene where he cried in the book. It's so surreal. Riordan doesn't usually leave us with "OMG THE CHARACTERS ARE GONNA DIE!!!!" endings (though at the presentation in NC today he said that's really what he considers a cliffhanger). Usually they're some line that leaves us gasping. I know they're going to live (there is NO WAY IN HADES that Riordan will kill Annabeth and Percy. No way.), but I really want to know what happens.


message 19: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Ormot while we are focused on the 7 of prophecy it kinda makes me wonder what's happening in new york.


Aurora Camp Jupiter is preparing to go to war with Camp Half Blood. The Greeks have never fought against the organizedness of the Romans, but the Romans haven't fought against the Greeks. The Greeks are on their home territory, so I hope that will be a major factor in whether or not CHB wins (I hope they do). But the Greeks also don't have many older fighters since they tend to die young as demigods, and the Romans have older fighters. Plus, they're more heated up by Octavian (the slime bag). I think the Greeks are in for a big challenge. Oh, and the border probably won't keep the Romans out since they're not monsters.


message 21: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie I wonder if he'll have a big build up, where both sides are revving up for battle, then somehow Jason's group magically stop the battle with the statue or something. Hmm... I don't really think an enormous massacre would do wonders for the Greek-Roman relationship.


message 22: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Ormot If there is a bunker 9 does that mean there are other bunkers? and if there are will they use it?


Aurora If they have to, they will use Bunker 9. They used it during the last civil war.


Melanie Nhu wrote: "I found the first half of the book...well..suckish. The formatting was strange and everyone was not properly together. The constant changing of the character views was irritating and the characters..."

Nice


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Maddie wrote: "I wonder if he'll have a big build up, where both sides are revving up for battle, then somehow Jason's group magically stop the battle with the statue or something. Hmm... I don't really think an ..."

i was thinking that as well, but aren't they going directly to greece?


message 26: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie rawr the dinosaur wrote: "Maddie wrote: "I wonder if he'll have a big build up, where both sides are revving up for battle, then somehow Jason's group magically stop the battle with the statue or something. Hmm... I don't r..."

What about the statue Annabeth found? Isn't that supposed to be the answer to fixing the Greek v. Roman feud?


Hannah "I found the first half of the book...well..suckish. "

What are you talking about? This has been my FAVORITE of all the PJ and HoO books. I love how it got darker, and how the characters matured. There were some hilarious scenes (I particularly loved the part where Percy outsmarts the dolphin pirate). and the ending??? OMG, it tore me apart inside!! I seriously can't wait for the House of Hades!

Anyone know if this series will be 4 or 5 books long? Because I can't see how Riordan will stretch the quest to Greece to be 2 books long... :(


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

@ maddie, I was just looking over leo's last pov, they said something abt having a month still so yeah...its still possible....just hope RR don't skip it...thats if he is doing that of course :D


message 29: by Nhu (new)

Nhu Kiều Hannah wrote: ""I found the first half of the book...well..suckish. "

What are you talking about? This has been my FAVORITE of all the PJ and HoO books. I love how it got darker, and how the characters matured. ..."


Yeah, It's just my opinion about it. In his other demigod books, there were small obstacles along the way like Circe, Echidna, etc. but in this one they were all separate into little groups with weaker challenges. I understand that there was a reason for it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. LOL I absolutely love Percy! Doesn't it seem like most of the challenges involved trickery instead of combat in this book? Even though I loved the dolphin part, it made Percy seem really rusty even though he knows two styles of fighting now- Roman and Greek.

This series will be 5 books long. Rick Riordan is so utterly fantastic that he decided to rip our hearts out with that ending. I'm pretty sure he can stretch 2 books (with what, I don't know).


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

*sobs* *cries hysterically* WHY RICK????


Daniela-Goddess of Reading Hixale wrote: "Because I didn't know where to put this, I'm just curious *have to wait five bleepin' more days before I can get my own copy of MoA OTL * Who are the narrators for the book? I know one of them is A..."

Percy, Annabeth, Piper, ans last but not leaset,I <3 LEO!


Daniela-Goddess of Reading Hannah wrote: ""I found the first half of the book...well..suckish. "

What are you talking about? This has been my FAVORITE of all the PJ and HoO books. I love how it got darker, and how the characters matured. ..."


I am positive that there is absolutely going to be five. I went to RR website like a long time ago and he said:

HoO #1= 2010
HoO #2= 2011
HoO #3=2012
HoO #4=2013
HoO #5=2014, which is when I'll be 18yrs old.

I gotta admiit, RR is an epic awesome writer and I do agree that most of the book was owned by Annabeth and Leo


message 33: by Shruti (last edited Oct 05, 2012 07:51AM) (new) - added it

Shruti Jessica wrote: "I'm not totally sure what I mean. I really like the book, but for some reason it felt a little different from the other books he's written. As I was reading it felt like he was setting lots of thin..."

I agree with you there. It's actually really, really different from anything he's written before, including the Kane Chronicles (if anyone's read that because for some reason people miss it).

And yes, he was setting up a LOT of new plots. I see what you mean when you say placeholder haha. :D I mean it was totally epic, but it left us with more questions than answers in the end.

A lot of people say this book wasn't Rick's best but personally? I feel he handled it BRILLIANTLY. I mean, come on folks, do you know how hard it is to write the same story from FOUR DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW and NOT bore the reader? Wow. That is such a huge accomplishment.

I do have my pet peeves though...like the fact that Percy's reunion with the others wasn't mentioned, and neither was his Achilles heel. But the thing is, as Rick already said about the HoO series, this isn't just about Percy anymore. And even though that breaks my heart I think it was a good idea on his part to include new characters, and new plots, though Percy shall always be my favorite. <3

I do miss his first person. :'(


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm dying...The Mark of Athena has left me emotionally unstable, Percabeth was so amazing, I loved the romance, the ending... when Percy said he wouldnt leave Annabeth...*hysterical crying* I loved and hated the ending...why does Rick have to ruin our lives, why???!!!
Did we really deserve an ending like that? did we? WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER DAMN YEAR RICK???


Godwin Maddie wrote: "*SPOILERS*


Wow. That just got so much darker. I mean, it was still fairly lighthearted, but that was a far cry from the earlier Percy Jackson books.
It was really interesting to me the way Riord..."


I personally think that the reason that this book went into a darker turn is that he released his first PJO book, The Lightning Thief, eight years ago-that is if we follow his usual book release pattern of once a year-and that his readers already aged the said number of years where Percy has only aged only five-or maybe four, I don't know I'm too lazy to do the math.


Aurora Daniela-Goddess of Reading wrote: "Hannah wrote: ""I found the first half of the book...well..suckish. "

What are you talking about? This has been my FAVORITE of all the PJ and HoO books. I love how it got darker, and how the chara..."


Gosh yeah, I'll be eighteen too when the final book comes out. It seems so long to wait.


Nadiv i don't know why every bodies complaining about the end, i thought it was epic. percy and annabeth arent gonna die, and the way percy told nico to meet them at the other side was the best moment in the HoH series, i could almost hear the heroic music in the background. i'm kinda annoyed about waiting a year but i'm more annoyed at the way nico was portrayed in this one, i would've thought that percy and annabeth would have more feelings than hazel towards nico, and their reunion with nico was sucky, like he was a 3rd class character
still best book out of PJ or HoH because there were seven heroes on a huge quest - like an insane road trip


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I agree, it was epic. And not to be mean to Rick Riordan( he is amazing) but I can't wait a whole more year. I don't have that much patience to find out if Percy and Annabeth are okay and if they are able to save the world and stop the civil war from happening.
This was mostly likely my favorite book from the Heroes of Olympus series ( nothing can compete with the original pj series). The seven's friendships were amazing and the added drama between frank, leo and hazel made it even better. I kind of figured leo and Hazel's past relationship was more magical or something, though, like maybe leo later builds a time machine, but the fact that sammy was his grandfather was amazing, too.
Don't even get me started on the percabeth reunion. That made the year of waiting worth while and it couldn't have been better.
It was also great how the book started with Piper and Jason already being a couple, stopping drama between piper and reyna before it began.
And the ending. oh my gosh, i can't stop rereading it. It was amazing. It was epic. It was all I could have wished for. If only the House of Hades was attached to the end though, because I am NOT very fond of cliff hanger endings. But keep it up rick riordan. you're amazing.


Aurora This was the best cliffhanger in the entire series so far, imo. It was such a dramatic ending. And it's so sweet how Percy and Annabeth held hands as they fell to their doom.


message 40: by Shruti (new) - added it

Shruti Taryn wrote: "Yes, I agree, it was epic. And not to be mean to Rick Riordan( he is amazing) but I can't wait a whole more year. I don't have that much patience to find out if Percy and Annabeth are okay and if t..."

Hahaha " If only the House of Hades was attached to the end though, because I am NOT very fond of cliff hanger endings." I so agree with you there =D


message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Ok I don't get why everyone's complaining


Aurora We're just all mad that we have to wait an entire year for the next book because we're impatient fangirls/boys.


message 43: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Well, yes, but it takes a while to write a book and I think fangirling for an entire year is good for the fangirls. It's like exercising =P


Rachel Wow that was dark. and it was also very good i finished it in three hours and i only do that when the book is very good. Now we have to wait a whole year for the next 1 to come out. sigh


Aurora Leah wrote: "Well, yes, but it takes a while to write a book and I think fangirling for an entire year is good for the fangirls. It's like exercising =P"

Oh, I have absolutely NOTHING against working my fangirl muscles. I don't want to hurt myself fangirling when House of Hades comes out.


message 46: by Shruti (new) - added it

Shruti Rachel wrote: "Wow that was dark. and it was also very good i finished it in three hours and i only do that when the book is very good. Now we have to wait a whole year for the next 1 to come out. sigh"

Wow three hours? That's super fast. =O I took like 6. But maybe that's cuz I kept re-reading all of Percy's dialogues. ^.^ Lol. I feel like a maenad.


message 47: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Shruti wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Wow that was dark. and it was also very good i finished it in three hours and i only do that when the book is very good. Now we have to wait a whole year for the next 1 to come out. ..."

but hopefully you're not murderous


message 48: by Shruti (new) - added it

Shruti Leah wrote: "Shruti wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Wow that was dark. and it was also very good i finished it in three hours and i only do that when the book is very good. Now we have to wait a whole year for the next ..."

Well... not yet I'm not. ;) But if we don't get a Percy/Annabeth POV in the next book, I shall definitely turn murderous. :O


Sameer Ali there was this hero (i forgot his name, he coud escape from the dpths of Tartarus.. i think h emight be inside it


message 50: by Yael (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yael Daniela-Goddess of Reading wrote: "Shruti wrote: "The book was definitely much, much darker than the previous ones. But there was a lot of lightheartedness too, lots of parts made me ROFL(haha, Iris ref ;) )

But we can definitely s..."


Yeah, Rick said there will be a Norse series after HoO. I can't wait for it, the Norse mythology sounds really cool :D
All of you are talking about finishing MoA in 3 hours...And I feel so bad, cuz it took me 5 days to finish :/ But English isn't my mother tongue, so that's fine, I think :D


« previous 1 3
back to top