♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Past Reads > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Oct 02, 2012 04:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer (IvashkovLover) | 3372 comments Mod
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. Fiction is based on real black and white photographs. The death of grandfather Abe sends sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and explores abandoned bedrooms and hallways. The children may still live.

Sounds like a creepy read perfect for Halloween
What did you think of Jacob? The orphanage?

Amber I liked this book (I bought it when it came out :P). Even though it was pretty disturbing. I liked the addition of the pictures because it added to the mystery and the fact that he can cross over into their world is pretty amazing. I find the book kind of sad with what happens to them day after day but I'm excited for the next book, I want to see what happens to them.

Chloe | 33 comments I liked it, though it was a bit depressing:( The pictures were awesome and added a touch of reality, though of course it could never happen. I also thought the fact that they had been living there for forever was sad.

message 4: by Annabel ♥ (last edited Oct 07, 2012 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) To me this book was just "ok". It didn't grab me or creep me out like I wanted to. I was in the mood for a book that would give me the chills but this just didn't do it. The characters were flat and I found the writing pretty annoying.

I did, however, enjoy certain aspects of the book, snippets of it. For example, the photos. They were pretty amazing.

Katie (kayteaface) At first, I was a bit unsure of this book because it was nothing like what I was expecting. After I got into the story, though, I very much enjoyed it. I loved the mystery and the excitement as the story progressed and didn't see that ending coming! I'm really looking forward to the sequels now :)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) hmm I didn't know that it had/is going to have sequels. I might need to try those.

Amber I don't think the author has even picked a name for the sequel, right now it's just 'Untitled' like the series name when it first came out. I'm pretty excited though :D

Melissa (Melissa_94) | 54 comments Im excited for it too! I can remember when i read this one, i was so excited with it, i dropped it in the bath and had too buy a new one! :L Can't wait to read it though, anyone read the Picture book he brought out?

Lauren The story started off interesting and unique in the prologue, which caught my attention, but everything else beyond that went horribly down hill. The rest of the story was boring and hard to get through. The pictures are awkwardly placed throughout the book and Riggs relies to heavily on them to tell his story.

Jacob is an extremely un-relatable character. He comes off as being pretentious and obnoxious with conveniently wealthy parents. The other characters in the story were flat. Riggs relied only on the abilities of the particular children giving them neither individual personalities nor backgrounds. I don’t even want to start on Emma, the only character slightly more developed, and only so because she was the creepy seventy year old love interest.

Ashley Williams (asgwilli) I was unaware there was a sequel to this.. but Yay! I will say, that I thought this book was well rounded. It suited the age range and was appealing to both girls and boys. I loved the artwork!!! I also liked the eeriness of the book. It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland meets X-Men.

message 11: by Caye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caye (scarlethowl) | 9 comments I really liked this book. I got a bit of thrills especially during the first parts, and I think the pictures were a big help and contributed a lot to its awesomeness.

I have to admit that I liked the first part, before unraveling the mystery, better than having it unraveled. I dunno. It's just that I had different expectations. I thought the children were the bad guys, and that they had some spooky histories, and that the house is haunted, etc etc. But it wasn't. I liked how it turned out, but I wasn't so creeped out as I was with the first part.

Still I liked this book. Never expected that there's more coming, I thought this was a one-shot book. But no, there's a sequel. I hope it gets better :)

Melyssa Williams I completely agree with Lauren. I had such high expectations of this book: it felt like I waited forever due to putting it on hold on at the library and I was like, #35 or some such thing. I loved the photos, and I loved the first 1/3 of the book. Then it went veering off in the weirdest direction. I was disappointed. Still worth reading, and the movie may be creepy and good, but all in all...just disappointed.

message 14: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (MaddyHatter) | 2 comments I liked it at first, but then I didn't. In fact, I still haven't finished it. I got up to the part where Jake was starting have feelings for Emma and that wierded me out a little. I will finish it sometime. Up until the point where I stopped it was good because you had no idea where it was going, which was exciting.

I heard that Tim Burton is looking for the rights to direct a movie for it. Which is excited, as I love Tim Burton.

message 15: by Caye (last edited Feb 26, 2013 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caye (scarlethowl) | 9 comments Maddison wrote: "I liked it at first, but then I didn't. In fact, I still haven't finished it. I got up to the part where Jake was starting have feelings for Emma and that wierded me out a little. I will finish it ..."

Haha whoa. This is interesting.
And to think Tim Burton would be (if ever) directing it... it's just perfect. He'll make it into an eccentric yet somehow creepy film.

I wonder if he'll be casting Johnny Depp and/or Helena Bonham-Carter lol

Melissa (Melissa_94) | 54 comments Maddison wrote: "I liked it at first, but then I didn't. In fact, I still haven't finished it. I got up to the part where Jake was starting have feelings for Emma and that wierded me out a little. I will finish it ..."

Yep, i can deffinatly see him making it perfect! He is really good with that kind of storytelling and moviemaking :)

message 17: by Bibi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bibi (readingonacloud) Loved it!! Only mistake was that I looked through the photos before I read the book.

message 18: by Rachael (new) - added it

Rachael Mcdonnell | 5 comments Picked this up but have yet to start it. The cover grabbed me.

Kristina | 125 comments Read this a while back...overall I liked the book. I did go in expecting more but decided to take it for what it was and was happy. I would have liked a little more excitement but was satisfied with the story. I loved the photos and how the story tied into them. Overall the story was different compared to what's out there and the characters were interesting enough. I wasn't expecting this book to be part of a series but can't wait to continue this adventure.

message 20: by Lo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lo (DarkAlleyCookies) | 24 comments Melyssa wrote: "I completely agree with Lauren. I had such high expectations of this book: it felt like I waited forever due to putting it on hold on at the library and I was like, #35 or some such thing. I loved ..."

They're making a movie? =O

message 21: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Adams (ELAdams) I could definitely see Tim Burton doing a great job of adapting this! (if it's actually happening?)

Nordlys I agree with Lauren and Melyssa, I had high expectations for it, and at the beginning I loved it, and then it just went downhill for me. I loved the idea of the pictures, but like mentioned by others here I felt that he relied too much on that, and didn't develop the characters. Also, I felt that characters were added only because of the pictures, which made it feel awkward for me, when I was expecting more that the pictures were there to help the story. I felt that he was being led too much by the pictures basically. So in the end I just thought it was ok. But still a fun and original idea, just didn't love the way it was executed.

Nikki Sojkowski (NikkiSoj) | 16 comments Lauren wrote: "The story started off interesting and unique in the prologue, which caught my attention, but everything else beyond that went horribly down hill. The rest of the story was boring and hard to get th..."

COMPLETLY agreed. So glad I borrowed this book from a friend instead of buying it. This book was barely 'meh' and the only thing interesting was the pictures- not exactly a reason to read a book. Definitely won't read the next book