Poison Study (Study, #1) Poison Study discussion

Valek

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aoife Sheridan I adore Valek in poison study and my main character in my own book is quite like him as in serious and high on moral ground. I just wanted to know what people thought of him as a character?

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat To me valek made the books, at the start I didn't think he would turn into a main character then we learnt he basially pulled all the strings and he's an assassin so that helps, If your character has the same characteristics as valek he must be great!!

Aoife Sheridan I can breath a sigh of relief. LOL yeah he has some as in the dangerous serious kinda of way. But I was just worried because everyone is so in love with the likes of Edward from twilight the do gooder in a sense. But I love a rugged kinda of man. So thanks so much for the feedback

message 4: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Haha no problem, I love valek how can anybody not??? I am glad you picked a valek like character over an Edward type then!!

Veronica A character like Valek, to me, is more of a man. This is because it is true to a man's nature and who doesn't love a man who gets all hot and bothered but can handle himself well?

No man is perfect... If he is made so in a book, it's annoying and instantly makes me root for the other, more mysterious love interested. Or I just don't root for the relationship at all and stop reading the book.

The whole "Edward" type of man is great and all but it gets very old, very fast.

Have you read "Scent of Magic"? Kerrick is kind of abusive at one point but I thought it was good for his character. A real man would probably loose his temper when under so much stress so it makes the situation seem more realistic to me. And it made Snyder able to give him alot of character growth by the end of the book.

Aoife Sheridan Thanks veronica,
great feedback, yeah I must say Tristan in my book is a bit abusive as in his temper flares when he can't understand his emotions. Must read Scent of Magic sounds like it's right up my alley way. x

Veronica It's another Maria V. Snyder book so it's great. :)

What is your book?

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Oct 02, 2012 10:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I loved Valek. He is fiercely intelligent, and driven enough to underplay his formidable skills and nature. I think his evolution, or at least the reveal of his true nature, over the course of Poison Study was beautifully done.

Aoife Sheridan Hi Veroncia,

It's called Eden Forest part of my Saskia Trilogy it's just the first instalment have a website if you want to read the first five pages www.aoifemariesheridan.com.

Aoife Sheridan Veronica wrote: "It's another Maria V. Snyder book so it's great. :)

What is your book?"

Hi Veroncia,

It's called Eden Forest part of my Saskia Trilogy it's just the first instalment have a website if you want to read the first five pages www.aoifemariesheridan.com

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 05, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

Love Valek. He's is on my Top 10 list of fantasy men. When I read Poison Study, I usually re-read his scenes.

message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma B Love Valek so much! I love the way he gets out of everything, and that the author didnt pull one of those self-contradictions where they make their characters extremely moral or loyal or whatever and then have them throw all of it to the wind when it comes to their love interest. Valek would have killed Yelena if the Commander asked him to, but he would have killed himself too. It may be weird, but I love that about him too

message 13: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Nov 06, 2012 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha The Escapist Emmy wrote: "Love Valek so much! I love the way he gets out of everything, and that the author didnt pull one of those self-contradictions where they make their characters extremely moral or loyal or whatever a..."

Emmy I think what you're loving there is probably credibility. I appreciate him more because I feel like he could exist, he is human and flawed just like the rest of us messy snowflakes. It's easier for me to admire someone for their weaknesses than for their perfection.

I'll take something real (seeming) over a cardboard cut-out any day.

Jeanne Walz Totally agree with Veronica:
"A character like Valek, to me, is more of a man."
When Valek lost it and threw a stone toward Yelena, I was like the what the . . .? but it did make him more believeable that the clear minded assassin could be shaken.

"Kerrick is kind of abusive at one point but I thought it was good for his character."
Yes, have to admit his character did seem a little rough but once again it fits his role.

Veronica Jeanne wrote: "Totally agree with Veronica:
"A character like Valek, to me, is more of a man."
When Valek lost it and threw a stone toward Yelena, I was like the what the . . .? but it did make him more believeab..."

I think it had a huge effect on his feelings for the girl by the end of the story, as well as his self growth.

Sarah Have to say that I love Valek too. He's not like Edward in Twilight who's "Mr. Perfect." Although he has imperfections, he can still do good things. So yeah...he's amazing :)

message 17: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Donna wrote: "Love Valek. He's is on my Top 10 list of fantasy men. When I read Poison Study, I usually re-read his scenes."

I'm going to completely agree everyone else. It's his complexity that makes him fascinating and attractive!

Donna, I'd be curious to hear who the other Top 10 Fantasy Men are!

message 18: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie Clark Valek is totally hot. He kind of reminds me of Dimitri, in attitude, from Vampire Academyif anybody has read this and agrees?

Allisa White Valek is fantastic! Honestly though, I didn't think he'd be any kind of character at the beginning (I thought he was an old man...)

message 20: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Haha yes I was the same I discredited valek as a minor character then he tricked his way into becoming the best character :)

Nazomi I basically agree! When they start to get close, you're like "whoa, I totally didn't see that coming".
I love the scene when Yelena is drunk and massages him and stuff. So funny.

Madeleine Annie wrote: "Valek is totally hot. He kind of reminds me of Dimitri, in attitude, from Vampire Academyif anybody has read this and agrees?"
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!

Anastasija This book is soo awesome! I think Valek and Yelena would be a perfect match

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I fell in love with Valek<3 I've always had a soft spot for assassins. They're so graceful and mysterious. besides that, I thought Valek had his stuff together and knew his opinions and he was just a great and well grounded character.

message 25: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara The combination of Valek and Yelena is what makes the first book so great!!! In my opinion the other two are not as good because there is not as much Valek :D

message 26: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty Bailey I love Valek's character, and I like the verbal sparring between Valek and Yelena. I like his intelligence, how graceful he is. I haven't quite finished reading Poison Study; I was reading it on my break at work, and I got to the part where Yelena was massaging him, and I just about died. Also, I like how he's older. :)