Moby-Dick Big Read - Chat discussion

Moby Dick Discussion > Chapter 17: The Ramadan

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vikk (new)

Vikk Simmons (downthewriterspath) | 173 comments Mod
The Moby-Dick Big Read
Chapter 17 - Read by Warren Cole
http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapte...

message 2: by Hayes (last edited Oct 02, 2012 11:35PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I have just finished this chapter, and a lovely thing it was too. Read brilliantly by Warren Cole, who is (if my research is correct) an administrator at Bath Spa University.

This chapter is wonderfully funny and very deep at the same time, poking fun at religion, all religions. I am not at all religious and was brought up in a non-Christian household, so I'd love to hear comments from the other side... Tracey?

I'll be listening to this again soon and will be back for more comments later.

message 3: by Vikk (new)

I agree, it was another great chapter. The readings are going quite well, too.

I love the way the relationship between Queequeg and our Ishmael is developing and how it is expressed in this chapter. You can also smell the authenticity of the writing and how Melville's own experiences breathe life into his words.

What amazes me is how Melville built such tension into those early passages, so much so, that I, too, began to fear for Queequeg. :)

I can't help but think how much we, steeped in today's culture and so cut off from the past, miss as we go through these chapters. Melville clearly brings a high level of subtlety to his writing so there must be much that we miss. Even with humor, how much passes us by as we read?

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) Oh, hi. Belated as always...

I admit, my eyebrows went up a bit at the inclusion of Lent, but then again that is very much Catholic and not Protestant, I guess. I don't know enough about Presbyterianism and other Protestant sects to say anything intelligent there... I see the humor of it, but my first reaction was "Sweetie, you're missing the point of Lent" - but that kind of is the point.

I love Queequeg's reaction - listening patiently and then just going on exactly as he always has. That's terrific.

message 5: by Vikk (new)

I think there are several Protestant denominations that do celebrate Lent.

Belated is fine....I am in a cycle of falling back and getting up to speed only to fall back again. :)