Moby-Dick Big Read - Chat discussion

Moby Dick Discussion > Chapter 10: A Bosom Friend

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vikk (new)

Vikk Simmons (downthewriterspath) | 173 comments Mod
The Moby-Dick Big Read
Chapter 10: A Bosom Friend - Read by Stephen Fry -
http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapte...

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) Off topic, but: on patell.org for this chapter, he notes "(Don’t be jealous: I’ve got tickets to see Fry play Malvolio in London later this fall. Okay — be jealous.)"

I'm exceedingly jealous.

message 3: by giselayvonne (new)

giselayvonne | 21 comments " There he sat, his very indifference speaking a nature in which there lurked no civilized hypocrisies and bland deceits." I adore this chapter so much. I imagine if I were a highschool English or even a Social Studies teacher, this would be an interesting chapter to discuss: "how do you feel about this chapter? how do you think american readers of this chapter in the sixties felt? what if the american reader was Hispanic american? Black american? Chinese american? what about readers of this chapter at the time of Melville's publishing?" Another great question to ask kids,"Why did this book see significant popularity in the UK but not in America?" Also, "How have social norms changed?" Me, I love Ishmael's openheartedness towards Queequeg, regardless of his racist speech. I would love to read some primary documents reviewing Moby Dick at the time of publishing.