Moby-Dick Big Read - Chat discussion

Moby Dick Discussion > Chapter 1: Loomings

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vikk (last edited Oct 02, 2012 11:25AM) (new)

Vikk Simmons (downthewriterspath) | 173 comments Mod
The Moby-Dick Big Read
Chapter 1: Loomings - Read by Tilda Swinton
http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapte...

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura So far, this is my favorite chapter. In my opinion, Tilda put her soul into the narrative.

message 3: by Hayes (last edited Oct 02, 2012 11:32PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I listened to this again yesterday, after discovering a wonderful online annotated version of the text: Www.powermobydick.com

I had seen tilda swinton in the first Narnia film, but in Italian, so I had never heard her voice. This was an excellent chapter, but not my favorite. Until today my favorite was 3, but now it is 17!

message 4: by Kali (new)

Kali I loved listening to this chapter. I think it was the mixture of Tilda Swinton's voice as well as the beautiful words.

message 5: by Vikk (new)

Vikk Simmons (downthewriterspath) | 173 comments Mod
I loved this chapter too and clearly you couldn't have found a better reader to introduce someone to read the opening of Moby-Dick and lure them in.

I'm not much of a movie-goer or celebrity hound so I wasn't familiar with the name but I love the way she read the opening. She brought Melville's prose to life. So good, I think I'll go back later today and listen to it again and report back. :)

I hope everyone will comment on the chapters as they're moved and not hold back simply because the official Moby-Dick Big Read is further along in the daily postings. I plan to layer in my responses over the next several days so we have a discussion--and don't feel like you can't go back to different threads to add to the conversation as we move along.

Hopefully, if we leave this group up it will serve to help others who may come along and decide one chapter a day is a good way to take in this classic.

Also, feel free to bring up books about related subjects in the other discussion threads. I'm thinking it might be interesting to look into the book on whales written by one of the main drivers of this event. He is, apparently, obsessed with Moby-Dick and whales.

message 6: by Mona (new)

Mona I also know Tilda Swinton mainly from the Narnia films and it's also the reason I thought, Okay, I'll give this a shot. You're right, Vikk, they certainly knew how to get people interested by choosing Swinton as the first reader!

Also, Hayes, thanks for posting the link to the online annotated text. I like to read/skim the text after I've listened to a chapter and the notes on the sides are very helpful.

message 7: by Kali (new)

Kali I also really enjoyed the chapter because the way the feeling of wanting to escape was described was dead-on (for me at least). Sometimes you just want to go on an adventure and leave life as you know it. Also I found the meditative aspects of water well portrayed. Maybe I was looking too deeply into it all. I had a bit of a long work week so I'm sure that played into my interpretation too. :-) I was ready to go off and see the world!