What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > A book about a pot-bellied guy who drank an immortality elixir

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William | 5 comments Ok, Hi everybody. This book is a scifi, and I think the cover is Asprin-esque. I looked at RLA's book covers in all series, and couldn't find it. Though that may be due to the fact that the image in my head is wrong.
All I remember is that the book revolves around a human who rides around in a spaceship, with his crew (I think). He is rude. The cover has a picture of him in profile view (again, I think) surrounded by some other beings.
Now, the above description may be incorrect, but it fits an image in my head of the book. The book is older, most likely 80's. possibly 70's.
Thanks to anyone out there who has the right of it.

Will

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) None of the covers of Trader to the Stars look right, but that's what popped into my head while reading your description. Nicholas van Rijn wasn't always polite & very sharp.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6960 comments Mod
Hum, what about one of the Retief books? Retief to the Rescue some of those older covers had other people on the covers with him, and, well, some of the people he went up against were total idiots.

message 4: by William (new)

William | 5 comments I've checked out both of those suggestions to see if they were close, but no luck. Thank you for your input, though.

Will

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6960 comments Mod
Flying Dutch maybe? Except that that's NOT a sci-fi. but its still really funny.
Flying Dutch by Tom Holt

message 6: by William (new)

William | 5 comments That's not it. But I always love learning about new books.

Will

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Can you remember any other details? Where he got the elixir, types of aliens or ships? Worlds visited?

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 394 comments Maybe Tuf Voyaging by George RR Martin? It doesn't really match all your info, but he's a portly gentleman who is more than a little rude. He gets along better with cats than people and has a giant spaceship chock full of bioengineering tech, if any of those ring a bell.

message 9: by William (new)

William | 5 comments It's such a blur to me, driving me (and y'all by now), bonkers. I'm gonna have to start reading some of these books again to try and remember...

message 10: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 20666 comments Mod
William, are you still looking for this book?